Getting a six pack on as little effort as possible

Options
srecupid
srecupid Posts: 660 Member
Our one main resource is time. I realize now that it is even more valuable than money. I lost a lot of weight and no longer accept looking "normal" to be good enough. I want to look exceptional. I joined the gym today and want to turn my blank canvas of a body into something to be proud of. I want to go for maybe an hour a day 3 days a week max. Is that enough time to accomplish the 6 pack look? Any suggestions?

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    that depends on what kind of six pack look you want.

Do you want "i have obligatory abs because i'm lean" or "i have visible abs because i'm shredded/jacked"?

because training is going to differ greatly. The only consistent variable is low enough body fat.
  • brownlisa644
    brownlisa644 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I lost 110lbs over the passed couple years and have maintained very well at 3000 calories I have what you call a 4 pack lol some what of a 6 pack you can see after a good workout. I too would love to kno exactly what kind of good foods to eat to help out on cardio days and weight lifting days. Need a change up of ideas
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    The "six pack look" ? OP what does that look like to you? So if it looks like 3 days a week 1 hour training days, try that.

I am going to assume when you signed up at the gym, you have a strength training plan already and know if this plan can get you there or not??? ;)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Bit of an apparent conflict between these two statements:

I want to look exceptional.

I want to go for maybe an hour a day 3 days a week max.

If you are prepared to cut your body fat low enough then yes you will have visible abs even with a very moderate time in the gym. Exceptional though? Hmmm.

What do you think your body fat is now?
    How are you training?
  • srecupid
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    The "six pack look" ? OP what does that look like to you? So if it looks like 3 days a week 1 hour training days, try that.

I am going to assume when you signed up at the gym, you have a strength training plan already and know if this plan can get you there or not??? ;)

Not a *kitten* clue. I don't want to look like the hull but looking like the dude from arrow would be cool. Just got sick of not being happy with my appearance after losing 80 pounds
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    srecupid wrote: »
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

Not a *kitten* clue. I don't want to look like the hull but looking like the dude from arrow would be cool. Just got sick of not being happy with my appearance after losing 80 pounds

how about this:

4DAfOU4.jpg
  • srecupid
    Options
    Somewhere between 2 and 5. Because personally i feel like i'm skinny fat right now. I'm at a median weight for my height and sex but, i have a slight overhang and thick *kitten* thighs.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Our one main resource is time. I realize now that it is even more valuable than money. I lost a lot of weight and no longer accept looking "normal" to be good enough. I want to look exceptional. I joined the gym today and want to turn my blank canvas of a body into something to be proud of. I want to go for maybe an hour a day 3 days a week max. Is that enough time to accomplish the 6 pack look? Any suggestions?

Exceptional results are built by exceptional effort.

However, consistent effort will make you look better than most.
    Research lifting programs to find one that suits your goals (Stronglifts is a good beginner program) and is focused on compound movements.
    Then make sure your calorie and macro goals are sufficient for what you want to accomplish.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You can do a full body weight training program in an hour 3x/wk. It may stretch to 75 minutes with warming up, depending on the program.

I still encourage doing some cardio for general good health purposes so that would be in addition to weights.

No suggestions for abs. Not a goal of mine so I don't care.
  • Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I think you could probably achieve a pretty good look with 3 hours of structured strength training at the gym, regularly targetting your core at home, and making appropriate food choices.

It'll undoubtedly take a long time, but as someone else mentioned, if it was easy you wouldn't think of that body type as being exceptional, you would think of it as being normal.
  • GoldenSnidget
    GoldenSnidget Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/monster-abs-are-made-in-the-winter

Do this in the gym and you'll have great abs. Abs are in general hard to come by. They are the first thing to go and the last to come back. So, the effort is needed, sorry! I did this and it worked well.
  • srecupid
    Options
    Erik8484 wrote: »
    I think you could probably achieve a pretty good look with 3 hours of structured strength training at the gym, regularly targetting your core at home, and making appropriate food choices.

It'll undoubtedly take a long time, but as someone else mentioned, if it was easy you wouldn't think of that body type as being exceptional, you would think of it as being normal.

I work alot of shifts like 6-midnight. I live a mile from the gym and most days after I work i'm not fully awake and ready to go until noon. It takes 20 minutes to walk to the gym maybe 5 to run to the gym but, I have a lot of free time during the day and am now locked into a contract for 2 years which isn't idea but, honestly sometimes you need to jump out of a plane to fly. If i could cut my wakeup time in half and look good in the process i'm all for it. I lost 75 pounds because one day i was driving home and was like *kitten* it enough is enough and just went to town. I am bored out of my skull lately and need a new hobby. Might as well make myself better in the process.
  • srecupid
    Options

I work alot of shifts like 6-midnight. I live a mile from the gym and most days after I work i'm not fully awake and ready to go until noon. It takes 20 minutes to walk to the gym maybe 5 to run to the gym but, I have a lot of free time during the day and am now locked into a contract for 2 years which isn't idea but, honestly sometimes you need to jump out of a plane to fly. If i could cut my wakeup time in half and look good in the process i'm all for it. I lost 75 pounds because one day i was driving home and was like *kitten* it enough is enough and just went to town. I am bored out of my skull lately and need a new hobby. Might as well make myself better in the process.

So spend more than 3 hours a week going to the gym.

Hey man you're probably right. I'm just trying to get the ratio of effort to results right. You only live once and if you have 24 hours in a day but, spend 8 of it looking like the rock i'm not sure that's a good trade off. I didn't mean to make it sound like laziness. I listened to a Joe Rogan podcast not long ago where there was a guy Steven Maxwell I think it was who talked about getting the most from the least amount of effort. Like some people focus on "how can i eat the most?" while he focuses on "how little can i eat?" . i know it's a bad summation but, that's kind of how i feel. How can i get the best results at the gym while at the same time not spending my precious HP (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_(gaming)) at the gym? But, then again maybe I will love it.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    You can get a intense weight training workout in 30 minutes. It's a matter of pushing yourself, and making the best of your time.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    As someone else said great results require great effort. No offense but from your comments it sounds like you are not willing to pit in the effort.

You can get in better shape doing what you're talking about, but most likely not 6 pack abs shape.

Hope I'm wrong.