Not losing at 1200 calories per day

Options
Babygi6003
Babygi6003 Posts: 356 Member
MFP has my goal set at 1200 calories per day and I have been on that for the past week and have actually gained 1 lb..what am I doing wrong? I am trying to cut my carbs down also to see if that helps.

My diary is open if anyone wants to check it out.

Replies

• ashleyShades
    ashleyShades Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    People will probably tell you to eat more. Figure out your TDEE and BMR and find a number that works better for you is what they'll probably say.
  • ShannonKirton
    ShannonKirton Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    From the one day that I looked at you seem to be ingesting plenty of hidden sugars. I know sugar is not one of your items that you track but maybe you should. Unused sugar turns into fat.

Also, if you're not willing to cut out grains all together, try making your choices whole grains and also reduce the amount to the minimum. Hope that helps!
  • KathleenMurry
    KathleenMurry Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem. I've been at 1200 calories for about 2 weeks now with no results. I'm eating really well and working my butt off! I do eat my calories back though, so I end up consuming around 1600-1800 a day.

I think I might increase my net calories to 1400. I have a few friends on mfp that have tried increasing calories to lose weight. The first week had no results, but then it started kicking in. It gets your body out of starvation mode and it will stop storing fat. I'm guessing that's the problem?
  • alt1268
    alt1268 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    People will probably tell you to eat more. Figure out your TDEE and BMR and find a number that works better for you is what they'll probably say.
    I agree , plus instead of candy and coke eat veggies and fruit
  • kimiel51
    kimiel51 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I would say cutting some carbs might help, or else just give yourself some more time.
  • mhouston2011
    mhouston2011 Posts: 155
    Options
    You definitely need to up your protein and cut down on sodium levels. So much of what I saw in your diary is processed...loaded with sodium. I have trouble with the same thing at times.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Several things may be happening here. A gain of 1 pound while in a caloric deficit is usually water weight. This can be caused by stress, sodium, hormones, TOM, exercise, or any number of other things. Most common around here is that either you've just started or increased and exercise routine (causing the body to flood sore muscles with water to help cushion and heal them).

Additionally, make sure you're logging your exercise and eating back some of those earned calories. A lot of us have found that 1200 is too little for our bodies, especially if you're active.

Weight loss is never linear. You'll have good weeks and bad. You have to keep going and learn to ignore the scale when it's being a jerk.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    you are over in ALL of your macros EXCEPT Protein.

Try switching that around to only being over in your PROTEIN and eat only lean meats. ...not crappy red meats and such....

and no processed crappy foods either. that might help.

and hit some hard cardio AND lifting.
  • delaniecastillo
    Options
    I stalled at 1200 then bumped up to 1650 and more 1800 on workout days and been losing body fat and gaining muscle!
  • Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I agree , plus instead of candy and coke eat veggies and fruit

My thoughts exactly - very lacking in fruits and vegetables.
  • Dmkolls
    Dmkolls Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I see a few things:

1) A lot of processed foods that are high in sodium. Try eating REAL food.
    2) A lot of sugar - even processed sugar. You do realize that even diet soda can make you fat, right?
    3) Not a whole not of vegetables.
    4) Carbs are way to high with too little protein.

You're needing those 5 hour energy because you're not FEEDING your body what it needs. Cut out processed foods and eat whole REAL chicken, fish, meat, fruits, veggies, nuts and you'll be amazing at how much food you can eat and not need all of those drinks.
  • maybeazure
    maybeazure Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    A week is really not a long enough test. I would agree with those that said increase protein and fruits and vegetables. I'm also wondering how much you currently weigh and how tall you are. You look pretty thin in your picture. If you are already close to a healthy weight, it will go more slowly.
  • SteveStedge1
    SteveStedge1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Your diet is almost entirely junk food/diet food/processed food.

Jiimy D and soda for breakfast? Yikes.

Start eating real food. Full fat food.

You are a shining example that just counting calories isnt going to work if its just manufactured food.

Much of what we think of "food" is just a factory product. They strip anyway anything good for humans, get this batch of pharmaceutical grade raw materials and cook it up in a factory to make the OPPOSITE of real food. Stuff that humans will crave that is shelf stable, profitable, and mass produced.

If its most or any of these three things, I would suggest not eating it.

Cottage cheese, chicken breast (low sodium turkey is great!), nuts (great healthy fats), fruit veggie.

Get the junk outta your body and you will be okay.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    1 week? Chilllllllll.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    Too much sweets and processed foods, sodas and candy, not enough fruits and veggies. Get rid of the crap food and eat real, nutritious foods.
  • Babygi6003
    Options
    I am 5'6 and 182 lbs. My goal is 155.

I will start trying to eat more REAL foods, I just haven't had much time lately to make real foods and have been eating too much processed junk.
  • slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Your diary is not open so I can't see what you're doing. But...are you building muscle on your health plan? It's literally impossible to gain weight if you're burning more calories than you consume unless, of course, you're building muscle or retaining water. I know it can be frustrating watching the scales, but remember the scale doesn't measure everything that's going on inside your body.
  • shabbychick81
    shabbychick81 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    exactly . what she said . you can't feed you body fake food and expect results
    I see a few things:

1) A lot of processed foods that are high in sodium. Try eating REAL food.
    2) A lot of sugar - even processed sugar. You do realize that even diet soda can make you fat, right?
    3) Not a whole not of vegetables.
    4) Carbs are way to high with too little protein.

You're needing those 5 hour energy because you're not FEEDING your body what it needs. Cut out processed foods and eat whole REAL chicken, fish, meat, fruits, veggies, nuts and you'll be amazing at how much food you can eat and not need all of those drinks.
  • Babygi6003
    Options
    I might be building muscle with boot camp and running but I am not sure.

I was eating 1480 calories per day for the past couple months and not losing at that either so the change to 1200 has only been a week
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking water?
    That is how fats leave your body.
    Stay your course and you will loose.