Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Should junk food be taxed?

Options

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    100df wrote: »
    I think a more interesting and possibly more feasible idea would be to restrict advertising. But again, I think defining junk food would be the barrier to this solution.

I would support requiring companies to show the calories in a clear way both in print and media advertising. Awareness is lacking in how many calories people consume on a daily basis. If people saw how many calories Doritos, regular soda or whatever has everytime they are advertised, they might stop overeating them.

Smaller bottles of pop here do have the calorie amounts on them.
    Like this one (it is a link from Daily Mail in UK so maybe this is not just here).
    article-2655692-17387100000005DC-950_306x515.jpg

Some bars do too. I've never paid attention to if all of them have them or not. Or if it is a certain company or what.

MarsBar_Packaging%20(16).JPG
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    3DR, all packaged food is labelled in the U.S. sometimes the labeling is a little misleading, but once you've made it through third grade, that's just another in a very long line of excuses. I'm assuming most third graders aren't reading food labels. Yet.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    Thinking though.

Perhaps a "taxed unless the manufacturer can prove it meets specific health standards" could make sense. It might make it so that manufacturers strive to make their products a bit more "healthy". They would have incentives in that more people might buy the product.

That being said... I can see that system failing in other aspects already. Like low fat items - chalk full of fillers (or so I hear), but marketed as healthier than full fat alternatives. Or organic.. still full of pesticides, just not the ones on the "no-no" list... (or so I've heard).

I don't know how you establish guidelines that aren't murky. Do you tax all chips, or would oven-baked ones get an exemption for trying to be healthier? Is reducing fat a good way to tell if something is healthier? Wait, no, we did that already and it was a terrible idea. Do you have to reduce fat while not adding more than 5% sugar? Or do we just go on calorie ratios - reduce calories by 30% or more and it's tax-exempt? But then do you end up with people consuming more because they're "healthy," defeating the whole purpose?

Hmmm that's true too.
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I think a more interesting and possibly more feasible idea would be to restrict advertising. But again, I think defining junk food would be the barrier to this solution.

I would support requiring companies to show the calories in a clear way both in print and media advertising. Awareness is lacking in how many calories people consume on a daily basis. If people saw how many calories Doritos, regular soda or whatever has everytime they are advertised, they might stop overeating them.

Like this one (it is a link from Daily Mail in UK so maybe this is not just here).

Some bars do too. I've never paid attention to if all of them have them or not. Or if it is a certain company or what.

I am talking about requiring companies to list calories on TV commercials and print advertising. I do like when products I want have it listed like that. Mostly because I don't need my glasses to read it on the nutritional label.

Restaurants too. Applebee's was advertising bottomless french fries baskets for awhile. I think it would help the overweight population to know that the basket of fries is 430 calories.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    3DR, all packaged food is labelled in the U.S. sometimes the labeling is a little misleading, but once you've made it through third grade, that's just another in a very long line of excuses. I'm assuming most third graders aren't reading food labels. Yet.

Sorry, I meant that this labels were in addition to the regular labelling. In case, you know, you don't want to bother to turn the bar over to read the nutrition label, it's right on the front too.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options

I am talking about requiring companies to list calories on TV commercials and print advertising. I do like when products I want have it listed like that. Mostly because I don't need my glasses to read it on the nutritional label.

Restaurants too. Applebee's was advertising bottomless french fries baskets for awhile. I think it would help the overweight population to know that the basket of fries is 430 calories.

Oh, come on. Who doesn't know that fried food has...wait for it...oil?
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options

Sure they know that fried food has oil but do they know how many calories there are in fried foods.

Have you not seen the treads here from people saying they knew it was a lot but didn't know just how many calories they were overeating? People on MFP know. The population at large not so much.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Sure they know that fried food has oil but do they know how many calories there are in fried foods.

Have you not seen the treads here from people saying they knew it was a lot but didn't know just how many calories they were overeating? People on MFP know. The population at large not so much.

And taxation is going to solve that problem? That seems to be an argument for labeling menus with calorie information (which studies have shown does not deter people from ordering the same dish at a restaurant).
  • 3dogsrunning
    edited June 2016
    Options

I get some people lack education on general nutrition but I really don't know anyone who doesn't know that a basket of fries is a LOT of calories.

IMO, the number is useless without context. 430 calories is meaningless without understanding your overall calorie intake altogether. Those people are now seeing their food in the context of their overall goal now.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

wy1wrbwromo8.jpeg
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

That is part of the point about education. If third graders aren't reading food labels, fine. But by the time they leave 5th grade, they should be able to read and understand nutrition labeling. I don't think that is part of the curriculum today, but it should be. In fact, I wonder if nutrition labels are included in any K-12 curriculum in the U.S.

Personally, I was given education about nutrition labels towards the end of 4th grade and beginning of 5th grade, but it wasn't provided through public school and it wasn't something my peers learned. It was only because of medical reasons, for which I received education on a large number of relevant topics, that I was taught how to read and understand nutrition labels. I couldn't keep track of all the times over the years when I've encountered well-educated adults who could not figure out basic information when it was provided to them. Most often, I see errors with serving size. For example, someone will look at a box of cereal, say "it has 180 calories in it" and proceed to pour a bowl that easily has 3 times that much. It isn't that the information isn't available, but for some reason people have a hard time understanding it.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

The population at large doesn't give a toss about calories, yeah they know that big number are bad small numbers are good, but that's where it ends. When I was obese and saw a large calorie number my reaction was "meh, who cares" and that's even if I looked at the nutrition label in the first place which I only did by accident while looking at the ingredients to see if celery was listed (allergic) or if it had beef flavor (don't like it).

Listing calories everywhere would help those who already are trying to watch their weight, it would not dissuade anyone else from buying that cinnamon bun.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options

That is part of the point about education. If third graders aren't reading food labels, fine. But by the time they leave 5th grade, they should be able to read and understand nutrition labeling. I don't think that is part of the curriculum today, but it should be. In fact, I wonder if nutrition labels are included in any K-12 curriculum in the U.S.

Personally, I was given education about nutrition labels towards the end of 4th grade and beginning of 5th grade, but it wasn't provided through public school and it wasn't something my peers learned. It was only because of medical reasons, for which I received education on a large number of relevant topics, that I was taught how to read and understand nutrition labels. I couldn't keep track of all the times over the years when I've encountered well-educated adults who could not figure out basic information when it was provided to them. Most often, I see errors with serving size. For example, someone will look at a box of cereal, say "it has 180 calories in it" and proceed to pour a bowl that easily has 3 times that much. It isn't that the information isn't available, but for some reason people have a hard time understanding it.

I went to public school and we did learn how to read nutrition labels in 6th grade (had to do a whole project and everything). That said, that was in 1991 and the nutrition facts labels were a relatively new thing. Not sure if they teach that anymore.

• kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Well, since junk food doesn't make people fat, too much food does, I don't see why it would help.

Trust me, too much of anything will make one gain weight.

Nailed it!!

I mean, I can go to Chipolte and down a 1,200 calorie burrito stuffed with "healthy food" for lunch, plus a 500 calorie breakfast of eggs and veggies, then a 500 calorie dinner of grilled chicken and veggies EVERY DAY of my life. That's 2,200 calories a day. 300 calories over what my body needs. All of that extra food made me fat, but all of it is considered healthy. There wasn't one chip, cookie, candy, etc in that whole day. But guess what? I'm 40lbs overweight because I ate too much food and didn't burn off the extra 300 calories a day. I didn't eat junk, but I'm fat and I'm at risk of diabetes. Not because I was binging on carbs, because I ate too many calories.

A Chipotle burrito is anything but low carb. Unless you get a salad instead of a burrito, skip the rice, skip the beans... then it can be considered low carb.

Did I say in any of this about low carb? I said "healthy". And those 2 do not go hand in hand.

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Well, since junk food doesn't make people fat, too much food does, I don't see why it would help.

Nailed it!!

I mean, I can go to Chipolte and down a 1,200 calorie burrito stuffed with "healthy food" for lunch, plus a 500 calorie breakfast of eggs and veggies, then a 500 calorie dinner of grilled chicken and veggies EVERY DAY of my life. That's 2,200 calories a day. 300 calories over what my body needs. All of that extra food made me fat, but all of it is considered healthy. There wasn't one chip, cookie, candy, etc in that whole day. But guess what? I'm 40lbs overweight because I ate too much food and didn't burn off the extra 300 calories a day. I didn't eat junk, but I'm fat and I'm at risk of diabetes. Not because I was binging on carbs, because I ate too many calories.

A Chipotle burrito is anything but low carb. Unless you get a salad instead of a burrito, skip the rice, skip the beans... then it can be considered low carb.

Did I say in any of this about low carb? I said "healthy". And those 2 do not go hand in hand.

Oh good you are back! We went off on a huge tangent because of your extremely logical post, but I think most people got the gist...
  • the_quadfather
    the_quadfather Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    OP - NO, big fat NO. It's already taxed under state sales taxes. Personal responsibility should rule the day, anyway. Nanny state BS is what causes this kind of thinking.

Not personally attacking you. I'm just attacking the whole notion of such thinking. It is wrong-headed from the word go.

Not to mention the difficulty of defining "junk food." I can make an extremely good argument for a Double 1/4 Pounder from McDonald's being part of a well-balanced diet, especially for someone as active as I am with the calorie, protein, and carbohydrate requirements I have just to maintain my weight and current muscle mass.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Nailed it!!

Oh good you are back! We went off on a huge tangent because of your extremely logical post, but I think most people got the gist...

HOLY CRAP. I didn't realize what a crap storm that would produce. :)

I think I'll shut up now...

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    And taxation is going to solve that problem?

Does anybody think seat belts are supposed to solve the problem of people dying in cars? Show of hands? No one?

Ok, does anybody think having police is going to solve the problem of crime? Again, no one.

I could go on and on with examples but the point is you're asking the wrong question.