PCOS and Weight Loss---Recommended treatments?

Options
Hi Everyone,

I was diganosed with PCOS (Polycystic ovarian syndrome) in 2009. My cycle has always been irregular, however over this past year and into this year it has gotten a lot worse. Last year, I've only had my cycle about 3-4 times. This year, I've only had it twice: in March and April.
I'll be going to my obgyn this month to see what treatment options are available.

I'm also setting a goal to lose 50 pounds by maybe September/October-ish. So, are there any good bcp treatments that are low dose, with low/non-serious side effects, and will not make me gain weight?

Thanks!
Dina

Replies

• slepygrl
    slepygrl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    We're in the same boat. I have PCOS too. Are you taking metformin? The best thing you can do is eat clean and low carb. Try following a diabetic diet.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I will admit that I know very little about BCP treatments, but I've been in the same boat as you. I haven't had a cycle in a year - and then I started last week. I've been eating a ketogenic diet for the past 3 months and I think that's what's helped me. I've also lost 14 pounds. It could help you too.

Sorry I can't help much more than that. Good luck to you!
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I don't have a specific bcp to recommend -- my insurance only paid for the cheapest, so that's what I got. When I started them (in 2004) I had had PCOS since at least 1995 and menstruated very infrequently. I gained weight while on the pill but I'm pretty sure that that had more to do with moving away from home and drinking boatloads of soda.

I will say, though, that frequent and vigorous exercise (even without losing weight) did a lot to control my PCOS. When I started martial arts (in 2006) I weighed 235 lbs and had all of the symptoms, including wild blood sugar. I wasn't tracking food so it didn't exactly help me lose much weight -- I just ate more -- but 2 years later (at 230 lbs) my symptoms (except the stupid facial hair) were negligible and my cycles were regular without bcp. They have remained regular since then.
  • run_shayna_run
    Options
    I also have PCOS and hypothyroid. I've noticed that if my weight gets up over a certain point, my cycle become irregular. I try to eat high protein, low carb and consistently workout. That's helped me get them back into the regular zone again. I've done Metformin and also a couple different birth control pills. Metformin did regulate my cycle, but it made me kind of rage-y. I'm not on anything right now besides thyroid meds and with diet and nutrition it's been maintainable. I do have to work harder than most people at losing and maintaining weight, but there are worse things.
  • Mythril
    Mythril Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2011. I had my first period when I was 15 with the assistance of medication. I never had one off of medication until I was 19. And I've only had like 4 or 5 without medication since then. (I'm 24 now.) I'm following a ketogenic dieting, low carb. I'm hoping giving the information my doctor gave me (Before I lost insurance and ran out of medicine) that a low carb diet will be beneficial to me. Good luck with your journey!
  • thegoodner
    thegoodner Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I also eat low carb/high fat...was diagnosed with PCOS many moons ago, lost my right ovary to a 2 liter cyst in 2008. I don't take BCP, and I don't take meds. I'm able to regulate my blood sugar through my diet and exercise, and my cycles are now semi-regular at about 38 days long. Ketogenic dieting is the ONLY thing that helps me lose weight. I initially lost 50 pounds last year, lost my way/rebelled, gained back 30, and recommitted about 6 weeks ago to lose 18 pounds in that time. I do a lot of resistance/body weight strength training right now, and I will start heavy lifting in the fall (saving up for home rack/gym).
  • kazsjourney
    kazsjourney Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and have lost 180 pounds. I eat a moderate carb diet currently. I found exercise the real key. I dont take any meds, BCP or metformin (my sugar levels are good and metformin tends to make me feel weak and have dizzy spells) Feel free to add me.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    What has worked for me on top of 500mg metformin once a day to normalize my cycle and become pregnant twice has been portion control and removing all sugared/calorie drinks from my diet (besides alcohol and V8).

My diet isnt the most perfect in terms of macros it usually is high in fat, moderate in carbs and lower in protein. Not the most consistent exerciser, but that helps speed up the weight loss when I am consistent.

My food scale and measuring cups are the best investment.
  • princesspea234
    princesspea234 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I feel better when I eat low carb with lots of healthy fats. This week I've been on a carb binge though. Hormones are crazy this week and as most PCOSers know, once you eat one carb....it's hard to break the cycle. Avoid white bread and sugar!