Elliptical vs. treadmill vs. stationary bike

Options
Which is the best machine to burn lots of calories and tone legs?

Replies

• DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    As long as you don't have any knee or joint problems, treadmill wins.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    When all is said and done, treadmill requires more energy per minute versus elliptical and stationary bike.

When it comes to toning, that is a subjective term. Most "toning" you see comes from building muscle and losing fat in an area. I would say possibly elliptical with resistance that you continue to increase or treadmill that you increase incline over time could get some newbie muscle gains, giving a slight toned aesthetic, but it could take a long time due to other variables.
  • djspacecaptain
    djspacecaptain Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Well to burn the most calories i would have to say treadmill wins. On the toning i would think the stationary bike with a high resistance. I do the treadmill on highest incline at 3mph for an hour and the machine says i burn like 950 cal at my weight which is way more then i see on the elliptical for that long. I do the stationary bike at high resistance and my legs burn like heck but is the lowest on the calories burned.
  • healthy491
    healthy491 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Hmm i really dont like the treadmill especially in Summer and I really like the elliptical. I burn about 350 cal on the elliptical in 45 mins and 300 cal on the treadmill. But many articles state that the elliptical does not provide a good workout ..
  • DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Other than the treadmill, I'll only use the stair-stepper, I can get a pretty damn good session on that. I won't even look at an elliptical and if I'm going to ride a bike..it's going to be outside on some trails.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    healthy491 wrote: »
    Hmm i really dont like the treadmill especially in Summer and I really like the elliptical. I burn about 350 cal on the elliptical in 45 mins and 300 cal on the treadmill. But many articles state that the elliptical does not provide a good workout ..

In the end, do what you enjoy because you're more likely to stick with it.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

If you have aspirations to be a runner then use a treadmill, if you want to be a cyclist use a cycle.
    Elliptical is fine if you just want a cardio workout and you enjoy it. It will get your heart rate up and you can add as much resistance as you want.
    If you like it do it - no need to overthink things.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    OP, you can actually make any machine you want to burn as many calories as you want. Since you hate the treadmill, then work that elliptical! If you increase length of time, resistance (level), incline, etc.. you can burn as many as you want.

And toning legs, I think you may want to look into something else instead of cardio machines that burns calories and fat. Yes burning fat will help you cut the fat, but body composition is achieved doing something else entirely.
  • healthy491
    Options
    Thanks everyone :) really appreciate all the help
  • Elliewowo
    Elliewowo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Elliptical for sure! because you use more muscle so you will burn more fat, also you can practice the famous HIIT cardio (but go slow it can be very insane)
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Which one can you do the longest at the highest intensity?

The limit is you, not the machine.

So much this.

I own an elliptical, and bike a decent bit. Both can define differing muscle groups better. Running works some areas more than the other two can.

For calorie burn I'm sure I could burn more per hour on a bike, and that's with us owning an elliptical. I couldn't even come close running, but I don't run nearly as much. I'd venture that for even a really strong runner, if they could burn as many calories as I can on the bike, they are flying. Different muscle groups.

For overall variety of what muscle groups are worked, I think the elliptical we have will easily win over the bike or running. For an elliptical without the ramp changes or limited resistance, that might vary.

Mix it up, have fun, and do what you will do long enough and often enough to reach your goals. If you hate any of the above exercises, find the alternative.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Rowing machine.

Why treadmill? Run outside.
    Why stationary bike? Bike outside.

Rowing outside takes most people a lot more logistics
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    If you like it do it - no need to overthink things.

Agree 100%

• racheladkins2002
    racheladkins2002 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I prefer the elliptical and swimming due to knee problems. But anything will work if it works best for you.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Elliewowo wrote: »
    Elliptical for sure! because you use more muscle so you will burn more fat, also you can practice the famous HIIT cardio (but go slow it can be very insane)

You can do Interval Training on any of those three items.

But I'm also going to question why not go outdoors? The view is better, the sounds are better, the interval training is better. Esp when you find hills to climb and descend.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Machines don't burn calories...mass moved over distance and intensity of your work will determine how many calories you burn.

Do whatever it is you enjoy doing because you enjoy doing it...do it because you like it...do it for your fitness...you will be far more likely to stick with it.
  • healthy491
    Options
    CincyNeid wrote: »

But I'm also going to question why not go outdoors? The view is better, the sounds are better, the interval training is better. Esp when you find hills to climb and descend.

I dont feel comfortable outside with people staring..
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

Nobody is starring...
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options

So you don't feel comfortable outside with people staring. But you're okay being indoors with people starring?

And like @cwolfman13 said, nobody is starring.

To each their own. As long as you're doing what you like, more power to ya.