What do you do instead of......

Having that glass of wine or cold one in the evening after work to help you to relax......?
I'm trying to teach myself how to unwind and relax in an evening. I love to cook and I often have a glass of red wine while I'm cooking - I want to change this habit and I thought it would be better to replace it with something else.
Ideas?????

Thanks xxx

Replies

• DMarieLVT
    DMarieLVT Posts: 71 Member
    I had a soda-with-dinner addiction and started drinking La Croix's instead. I don't drink as much of them but the fizzyness makes me feel like I'm getting a bit of a treat. I then usually end up drinking a glass of ice water after it. Not sure if that would help replacing wine though :/ Some people I did a fitness challenge with swore by Kambucha but I've personally never tried it.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Try not to think of the wine as something you do to relax. If you can disassociate the action from the behaviour by finding a new marker for the end of the working day and the start of me-time you may find it easier. You can still have wine, but have it because you enjoy it. The new associated action for relaxation could be something like yoga, a favourite TV programme, or even something as simple as changing out of your workday clothing.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,448 Member
    Having that glass of wine or cold one in the evening after work to help you to relax......?

Yesterday, my husband and I went for a walk to the beach and back.

Today, my husband and I rode our bicycles on our trainers in the basement for 45 minutes, then I lifted weights in our home gym.

Tomorrow, we're planning to go to the "new" gym we've recently discovered. We've been going about once a week for the last few weeks.

Then dinner and a hot cup of lemon-ginger or rooibos-chai tea. :)

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Play video games, drink coffee, and spend some quality time with my RDA.
  • Sallyann1Fuller
    Sallyann1Fuller Posts: 15 Member
    Thanks for the ideas and input guys - appreciate the comments. xxx
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    Never had an alcohol habit.
    Maybe try some stretching/yoga, meditation, a walk, reading a fun book, drinking a cup of tea. Probably the important part is the transition ritual not what you do.
  • futureicon
    futureicon Posts: 348 Member
    I like a cup of hot, decaf tea with a drop of honey in the evenings (though I still often have wine). I've read that a glass of red wine a day is actually good for you and as long as you're counting the calories, I say drink wine.
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    I used to have bourbon to relax every night. But now - I quit drinking about 10 days ago...The bourbon was starting to taste too good. I always planed on having 2 (doubles) every evening - but then it turned into 3...or 4...so after doing this for a couple of years I decided to quit flirting with alcoholism. After a week or so of very light sleep - I find that I no longer need it to relax. I actually experience getting sleepy again...cool beans!

Now I workout and jump in the hot tub. It is summer so I the hot tub is actually a rather cool to mildly luke warm tub. My replacement beverage is club soda mixed with various fruits and/or fruit juices.

• jaredlonnegren7
    jaredlonnegren7 Posts: 2 Member
    futureicon wrote: »
    I like a cup of hot, decaf tea with a drop of honey in the evenings (though I still often have wine). I've read that a glass of red wine a day is actually good for you and as long as you're counting the calories, I say drink wine.
    Whether or not that's true, there's always something better you could be doing.
  • katharineshalia
    katharineshalia Posts: 243 Member
    I replaced it with tea, something about the ritual of heating up the teapot, etc is calming and it keeps something in my hand instead of wine or beer. Try it. Also a hot bath to unwind.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    edited June 2016
    I had to just stop. Cold turkey. I was beginning to use it as a crutch - as in I couldn't unwind without it. I'm currently on Day 8 of my #soberdays streak. I plan to allow alcohol for special occasions only, not every day.

I also found it significantly hindered my fitness goals, so that's another reason I cut it completely out.
  • EmmaJHare78
    EmmaJHare78 Posts: 10 Member
    I was also a fan of a glass of wine (or two) in the evening but I found a few things help:

1. I drink water whilst cooking and with dinner and then if I really want an alcoholic drink I have it afterwards so I'm not slurping whilst distracted
    2. Going to the gym or for a walk or doing a hobby in the evening means I often don't even think about wanting wine
    3. Swapping for a lower calorie alternative (I like gin and slimline tonic) can help on nights you do drink
    4. Logging my drinks on MFP makes me seriously consider whether I want to spend my calorie allowance on wine!

I wish you the best of luck, it's a challenge to start breaking the habit but that feeling passes quickly!