So up,d my calories but weight is also going up

At the weekend I went back to maintaining which for me is 2100 calories. I had been on 1500 for 6 months.

On Friday I was 79kg. This morning 81kg. I went up gradually and today am eating 1700 calories.

Why is thus happening. And before some questions my tracking check my diary if you can I track everthing,you don't loss 55lbs in 6 month by not tracking accurately.

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited June 2016
    When you initially up your calories to maintenance its normal to see a spike in weight. Its temporary! Eat at maintenance for 3 or 4 weeks and then adjust if necessary.

You're a guy, so your maintenance will likely be more than 2100. I'm only 5ft 2/female and I'm 47 - mine is 2200-2400 depending on my activeness. My husband maintains his weight eating around 3000-3200 cals a day (he's 6ft 1)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    edited June 2016
    Yep - totally normal. It's not fat, you must know that. Don't react by dropping your calories back down, be patient.
    Think weeks not days to figure out your real maintenance level, could even be months.

2100 is very low by the way for someone around 80kg.
    I'm 75kg and my winter TDEE is about 2500 and summer TDEE is much more.
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,838 MFP Moderator
    Don't panic. It could be water weight. Did you have some salty food over the weekend? Your diary is not open so it's hard to say. Also keep in mind that maintenance is not sitting at one precise number. The scale is going to fluctuate within a range of a few kilos depending on what you eat and eliminate. :)
  • dave_in_ni
    dave_in_ni Posts: 533 Member
    Yes had some low calorie bread over the weekend that was high in sodium.
  • Jeyradan
    Jeyradan Posts: 164 Member
    I'm only 5ft 2/female and I'm 47 - mine is 2200-2400 depending on my activeness.

Not to derail, but can you tell me a little more about what you do to maintain at that calorie level (in terms of activity, etc.)?

Asking because I'm just under 5'2", male, and approaching maintenance... and I'm hardly losing anything on 1000 calories a day. Of course I'm sure there's some inaccuracy (although I do use food scales, I also use MFP's notoriously bad exercise burn values), but I'm pretty sure it isn't 1200 calories' worth of inaccuracy.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Weight increase does not equal fat increase. Your true weight at any given point in time is not a static number but a range. When your in a deficit your body hangs out at the bottom of the range and now that you've moved to maintenace its heading up towards the middle.

Give it a few weeks and it should flatten out and you'll be at your new normal.
  • dave_in_ni
    Jeyradan wrote: »
    I'm only 5ft 2/female and I'm 47 - mine is 2200-2400 depending on my activeness.

Not to derail, but can you tell me a little more about what you do to maintain at that calorie level (in terms of activity, etc.)?

Asking because I'm just under 5'2", male, and approaching maintenance... and I'm hardly losing anything on 1000 calories a day. Of course I'm sure there's some inaccuracy (although I do use food scales, I also use MFP's notoriously bad exercise burn values), but I'm pretty sure it isn't 1200 calories' worth of inaccuracy.

I do weights 5 days per week, I also have an active job which I clock up 15000 steps on a bad day.
  • SunflowerSandra
    SunflowerSandra Posts: 70 Member
    dave_in_ni wrote: »
    I do weights 5 days per week, I also have an active job which I clock up 15000 steps on a bad day.

I don't think 2100 are your maintenance calories if you're that active. I'm a 5'7" female, 66 kg and easily maintain on 2000 on weekdays (mon-thu) and 2500 in the weekend (fri-sat-sun) and I average around 8000 steps.

If you've been low on calories for a long time, upping your calories and gaining weight is likely water retention and carb storage in your muscles. I usually weigh 1 kg more the day after a proper work out, so keep that in mind as well.
  • dave_in_ni

I don't think 2100 are your maintenance calories if you're that active. I'm a 5'7" female, 66 kg and easily maintain on 2000 on weekdays (mon-thu) and 2500 in the weekend (fri-sat-sun) and I average around 8000 steps.

If you've been low on calories for a long time, upping your calories and gaining weight is likely water retention and carb storage in your muscles. I usually weigh 1 kg more the day after a proper work out, so keep that in mind as well.

Yes got my numbers wrong its up to 2490 to maintain and 2710 to bulk. I might actually start another post regarding this as I am struggling to hit anywhere near 2490
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member

Yes got my numbers wrong its up to 2490 to maintain and 2710 to bulk. I might actually start another post regarding this as I am struggling to hit anywhere near 2490

That sounds much more like it - I have a sedentary job but do a load of cardio as well as strength training.

Why do you struggle to reach what is really a pretty modest goal?
    Swapping out any "diet foods" is a good start point but just adding in a substantial snack can be the difference between losing and maintaining.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    You increased your calories from 1500 to 2100, highly likely what you're experiencing is your glycogen stores being replenished, and extra food in your system, this is perfectly normal. Trust the system and keep tracking for 3-4 weeks before making any changes, otherwise you will constantly be changing you calories. At 2100 and your activity level you will probably start losing again, but at a slower rate.
  • bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    If you've been at 1500 cals for 5 months your maintenance isn't going to be what it used to be right away. Our metabolism does adapt gradually.
  • dave_in_ni
    sijomial wrote: »

That sounds much more like it - I have a sedentary job but do a load of cardio as well as strength training.

Why do you struggle to reach what is really a pretty modest goal?
    Swapping out any "diet foods" is a good start point but just adding in a substantial snack can be the difference between losing and maintaining.

Why? I could hit that easily if I wasn't eating clean, a few good meals from McDonalds would make short work of them numbers, the problem is trying to hit macros as well. 177g of Protein for example equals at least 2 protein shakes per day minimum and chicken or turkey every meal, sick of looking at chicken at this stage, then you have to keep below 55g of fat and eat 300g of carbs, its not easy and I've not even managed to hit my maintenance yet and I'm struggling.