Need help with calories in-out

Options
Hi everyone,
I can't fiqure out the best amount of calories to eat based on my life style. I'm looking to lose weight but the 1200 cals (which I've been eating for a while on MFP) doesn't seem to be working for me, I keep gaining weight and I'm at a (half lost) as to what I should change my calories to. I'm going to provide everyone a peek into my life (normally would never do this but I really need help).

1. 46 yrs old/ female
2. Health issues- Past 4 months I've been on a biological drug for health problem, I notice wt increase during these 4 months.
3. Workout schedule (fitness classes are 1 hour) - I lift weights (3) days per week (2hrs-includes 30 min cardio all out) (2) pilates classes (1) p90x class (2) Functional fitness classes (boot camp,sorta) and I walk (average) 10 miles per day 6 days per week and I work 2 days at a local big box gym/standing.
4. This info is based on recent doctors appt. Resting pulse is 50 and my bp is 110/70

I do eat junk food but, not that much and I measure,weigh and track everything including my junk in MFP and Im thinking based on my activity level I need to bump up my cals but Im not sure by how much. I don't want to over eat but don't want to under eat (im lost) and the harris-benedict formula has my cals at 2000 cal and this might be pushing it for me and I did 1350 Im just not sure.

Replies

• Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    How much have you gained and how long have you been eating 1200 calories? If you're truly weighing all of your 1200 calories of food in grams on an electronic food scale and you're not having any cheat days nor eating back exercise calories, then you need to see a doctor about it. Bumping up your calories won't make you suddenly lose weight.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    if you are not losing weight on what you are eating, bumping UP your calories is never the answer!
    Runngurl43 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    I can't fiqure out the best amount of calories to eat based on my life style. I'm looking to lose weight but the 1200 cals (which I've been eating for a while on MFP) doesn't seem to be working for me, I keep gaining weight and I'm at a (half lost) as to what I should change my calories to. I'm going to provide everyone a peek into my life (normally would never do this but I really need help).

1. 46 yrs old/ female
    2. Health issues- Past 4 months I've been on a biological drug for health problem, I notice wt increase during these 4 months.
    3. Workout schedule (fitness classes are 1 hour) - I lift weights (3) days per week (2hrs-includes 30 min cardio all out) (2) pilates classes (1) p90x class (2) Functional fitness classes (boot camp,sorta) and I walk (average) 10 miles per day 6 days per week and I work 2 days at a local big box gym/standing.
    4. This info is based on recent doctors appt. Resting pulse is 50 and my bp is 110/70

I do eat junk food but, not that much and I measure,weigh and track everything including my junk in MFP and Im thinking based on my activity level I need to bump up my cals but Im not sure by how much. I don't want to over eat but don't want to under eat (im lost) and the harris-benedict formula has my cals at 2000 cal and this might be pushing it for me and I did 1350 Im just not sure.

• Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    If you're as active as you say you are, which is quite a lot according to what you've listed, then 1200 calories doesn't sound like enough. How tall are you? You're resting HR is that of an athlete, mine is high 40's to 50 and I do a ton of cardio each week on a machine that is at its highest setting, plus I do body weight training. I'm 6'2" tall and average about 2500 calories a day and maintain my weight for the most part. Heck, there are days I go over that 2500 and hit 3k or so but I try to exercise a bit more on those days. Some drugs can cause weight gain, so unless you're about 4'8" tall or so 1200 still doesn't seem like enough with the amount of weekly activity you are doing. Try the calculators at iifym.com to get an idea of your TDEE on a weekly basis.

The only other thing I can think that might be causing the gain would be cheat days or junk food. Try eating cleaner it may make all the difference.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    [quote="Spliner1969;36932087"]If you're as active as you say you are, which is quite a lot according to what you've listed, then 1200 calories doesn't sound like enough. How tall are you? You're resting HR is that of an athlete, mine is high 40's to 50 and I do a ton of cardio each week on a machine that is at its highest setting, plus I do body weight training. I'm 6'2" tall and average about 2500 calories a day and maintain my weight for the most part. Heck, there are days I go over that 2500 and hit 3k or so but I try to exercise a bit more on those days. Some drugs can cause weight gain, so unless you're about 4'8" tall or so 1200 still doesn't seem like enough with the amount of weekly activity you are doing. Try the calculators at iifym.com to get an idea of your TDEE on a weekly basis.

The only other thing I can think that might be causing the gain would be cheat days or junk food. Try eating cleaner it may make all the difference. [/quote]

The answer is NO to the bold. You never need to eat more if you are not loosing or gaining weight. Something else is wrong..

OP, I think you need to sit down and look at your calorie intake MFP gave you? Is this to loose 1, 1.5 or 2 pounds a week? If it is on the agressive side such as 2 a week, you can change this to loose slower and give you more calories to eat..

However all that exercise you do, is surely to put a lot stress on your body, causing some water retention as well. And do you watch sodium intake, etc. You can loose weight eating junk food, but maybe not the wisest choice since you are on medication for your health.

Secondly are you eating back exercise calories? If so what method are you using to determine your calorie burns and how much (percentage) do you eat back?

1200 calories is the bare min for a shorter person to loose weight (as it is for me). So do you own a food scale?
    If not, now is the time to buy one, learn to use it. It will make a world of difference in your weight loss.

Have you sat down with your doctor to discuss the weight gain, do you have an understanding of what this drug does to you metabolically in terms of gaining weight and/or what it may do to your hormones and mainly leptin and grelin? You need a clear understanding from your doc how to approach your weight loss while on this medication.

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Open your diary so we can give more specific advice.
  • PoundChaser2
    PoundChaser2 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    If you're as active as you say you are, which is quite a lot according to what you've listed, then 1200 calories doesn't sound like enough. How tall are you? You're resting HR is that of an athlete, mine is high 40's to 50 and I do a ton of cardio each week on a machine that is at its highest setting, plus I do body weight training. I'm 6'2" tall and average about 2500 calories a day and maintain my weight for the most part. Heck, there are days I go over that 2500 and hit 3k or so but I try to exercise a bit more on those days. Some drugs can cause weight gain, so unless you're about 4'8" tall or so 1200 still doesn't seem like enough with the amount of weekly activity you are doing. Try the calculators at iifym.com to get an idea of your TDEE on a weekly basis.

The only other thing I can think that might be causing the gain would be cheat days or junk food. Try eating cleaner it may make all the difference.

Thanks, Im going to check out the calculator and I know my junk is part of my problem and Ive been working on that and my height im 5'3 and my resting pulse is 50 according to my doc in the pass it was even lower but I was also running HM a couple times a month.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Thanks, Im going to check out the calculator and I know my junk is part of my problem and Ive been working on that and my height im 5'3 and my resting pulse is 50 according to my doc in the pass it was even lower but I was also running HM a couple times a month.

it's not the kinds of foods you are eating that cause weight gain...it's the amount.

depending on the meds it could be as simple as water retention due to those or cortisol or exercise.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,981 Member
    Options
    The "junk" is only the problem if you aren't weighing and logging it. If you are weighing and logging it then there is another problem here. You would not be gaining on 1200 calories per day. You will have fluctuations up and down due to water retention which could be caused by your exercise. Personally I think that with your activity level you would probably be fine to raise your calories, but raising your calories is not going to make you start losing weight . If you are gaining on 1200 and you are logging and weighing accurately then you need to see your doctor because there is something else going on.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    OK How heavy are you? Just asking because your do not seem too heavy in your profile pic. Could your weight be in the healthy range already?
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Is 1200 your NET calories or total calories?

If you've been logging exercises and "eating back" those earned calories, my first suggestion is to start eating 1300-1400 TOTAL calories. "Junk" food probably isn't the problem.
  • kbarrett0701
    kbarrett0701 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    You need to factor in weight, body fat and lean muscle mass.
  • PoundChaser2
    Options
    This weekend Im going to have one of our personal trainers measure my body fat.
    WBB55 wrote: »
    Is 1200 your NET calories or total calories?

If you've been logging exercises and "eating back" those earned calories, my first suggestion is to start eating 1300-1400 TOTAL calories. "Junk" food probably isn't the problem.

I try not to eat my exercise cals because I know that those might not be exact.
  • PoundChaser2
    Options
    You need to factor in weight, body fat and lean muscle mass.

Getting body fat measure I hope this weekend by one of our trainers.
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    What is your current weight?
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options

Try logging the junk food accurately if you're not already. You can still eat it if you want, but the calories creep up quickly on that stuff. It takes me at least 20-30 minutes of very fast (4ish mph) fitness walking to burn the calories of one king size candy bar, and sometimes that isn't even enough. I think I average a burn of about 65-70 calories every half mile walking between 3.5 to 3.8mph. A bag of chips can easily be 250 calories, or a cinnamon roll an easy 300-500 calories (sometimes more!). Cookies are horrible sources of calories. The thing is I eat all these things, but I log them, and make sure I have the calories for them. I try not to make it a habit, but I'll be honest, I eat ice cream maybe 3-5 times a week. I do stick to the Blue Bunny No Sugar Added varieties and I weigh it by the gram and log it. One last tip.. never go by the label. If a king size candy bar or soft batch cookie says 1 serving 100g is X calories.. weigh that sucker! Chances are it's probably +/- up to 50 grams off on the weight. I run into that with protein bars all the time. You end up eating more calories than you thought you were.

The only reason I recommend eating cleaner is because there are many things you may find you like (vegetables for instance) prepared differently for snacks that would be a better choice than junk food. When I was a kid I hated cauliflower, broccoli, etc. Now one of my favorite side dishes for dinner is baked cauliflower tossed in a little bit of olive oil salt and pepper before baking. Bake it at 375 until it gets a little brown on the outside. I still don't care a whole lot for it raw though. I also love baked carrots made the same way and will sometimes toss them into the cauliflower when I bake it. Many people believe that sugar is also a trigger for cravings of other sweets, and a trigger for your body to store fat. I cut down on it but I can't seem to eliminate it from my diet. If there's a sugar free option I can stand, I'll choose that every time, or choose something different for a snack that doesn't have sugar in it.

I have not read all the posts just yet, but if you don't have a good digital food scale get one. It'll make a huge difference. If measurements on labels is available in grams, use that scale and measure it out based on the weight in grams. These days the only thing I weigh in ounces is meat, everything else gets weighed and logged as grams. It's much more accurate that way. Good luck!