What exercise loses most belly fat?

I want one or two exercises I can do a lot each day because I need my fat belly to go away!!!
Thanks for any posts :)

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    You can't spot reduce, as much as the industry wants us to think we can. Just keep losing weight until your body decides to lose it from your belly. For some of us, that is the last to go. Sorry, I know that's not what you wanted to hear :(
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    The only sure fire way to get rid of fat is to lose weight. No exercise will magically get rid of belly fat. And unfortunatley, belly fat is the last to go. So if you are still in the beginning or middle of your weight loss, you'll have to be more patient and deal with it a bit longer.

Now, saying that, heavy lifting will make the muscles under the fat more defined so that when you lose the weight you'll have something under there to show off. If you aren't lifting heavy things 2-3 times a week already, consider doing that. Strong Lifts 5x5 is one I recommend.
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Agree with above. Exercise will not make you lose weight in a particular area but it is still good for you. Besides the obvious health benefits, the exercise will help create a nice muscle layer for your skin to lay on.

There is a saying that good abs are created in the kitchen so that means cutting out sugar, carbs and eating lots of protein and veggies. (Unfortunately, my belly is stubborn as well, I've lost much of it as I've lost weight but still have more to go.)

You can Google abdomen exercises. There are so many different muscles in your abdomen to target that you may need to do more than one or two exercises. It might benefit you to make an appointment with a trainer to get a plan to reach your goals. Good luck!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    I agree with the previous posts. Losing fat, especially belly fat, is about diet, not exercise. Can exercise help? Yes, but only if your diet is on point. But even then, what exercises you do doesn't matter all that much.
  • kmcintyre57
    kmcintyre57 Posts: 109 Member
    Yes, agree that you cant spot reduce but it definitely helps when targeting for muscle building. Planks for the stomach for me works the best, additionally leg rises also helps me.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    I agree with the other posters that exercises won't spot reduce anywhere. There is nothing that will target belly fat specifically. It is about getting your body fat % down low enough that the belly fat goes.

That said, I always suggest including weight training (or at the very least, some kind of resistance training!) in your routine, because it will help maintain more muscle, thus dropping the body fat % more than if you did only cardio. It still won't spot reduce, you will lose fat from places in the proportions your genetics dictate, but it may help you like your tummy area - and your whole body!
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    A calorie deficit is the only thing that targets belly fat. Or Liposuction. I recommend door # 1.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Fork put downs and table push aways...
  • CaliforniaAJ
    CaliforniaAJ Posts: 196 Member
    I do 3 x 15 weighted sit ups with a 10lb kettlebell, plus 3 x 15 overhead laying kettlebell lifts in every workout. I workout 5 x a week, 45 mins treadmill & 30 mins weights.
    My waist and hips are shrinking at the rate of about 3/4" a week. I also eat at a deficit and lose on average 2lbs a week.
  • JTyler2016
    JTyler2016 Posts: 34 Member
    Agree 100% with everyone else who said you can't spot reduce fat, eventually you'll get there if you lose weight. That said, my favorite Ab exercises are:

1. Landmine 180's

2. Flat Bench Lying Leg Raise

3. Alternating Oblique Twist

4. Plank into Lunge

I hate doing crunches or sit ups, they kill my neck and lower back and I don't think they are as effective as any of these.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Eating less or exercising more.