Knee Supports for running

Options
niblue
niblue Posts: 339 Member
My poor old knees aren't what they used to be, not helped by too many years of being overweight. While not at the point of stopping me running they do cause me some problems - my right knee in particular - especially when running downhill.

What's the consensus on knee supports? I've avoided using one because of concerns about becoming dependent on it but might need to re-consider.

I'm also playing around with run/walk programmes and so far those don't appear to be having a negative impact on my times at longer distances (e.g. 10k).

Replies

• pdxhak
    pdxhak Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Is your issue strength or pain? Have you considered a compression sleeve?
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    An orthopedist can help you your address your knee issues and determine whether a band or brace is the right treatment.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Speak to a doctor or physio to see if you need support.

You may just need to do some strengthening around the knee, and a support will just make your knee weaker.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I used compression sleeves that really helped me. I also did a lot of strength training around the knee. In combination of that, losing weight and buying a good running shoe my knee pain is gone.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    niblue wrote: »
    My poor old knees aren't what they used to be, not helped by too many years of being overweight. While not at the point of stopping me running they do cause me some problems - my right knee in particular - especially when running downhill.

What's the consensus on knee supports? I've avoided using one because of concerns about becoming dependent on it but might need to re-consider.

I'm also playing around with run/walk programmes and so far those don't appear to be having a negative impact on my times at longer distances (e.g. 10k).

I did become dependent on them and took them off for the first time this week and realized i didnt have knee pain.

• esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Pain is your body's way of saying something is wrong. Your body is probably out of alignment and/or you have poor running form. A brace won't fix the problem. If you want to continue being active and not destroy your body, I'd recommend at least being evaluated by a chiropractor or osteopathic physician - someone who isn't going to just tell you to slap a brace on it. As well as have your running form evaluated. If you don't fix the problem, it won't go away.