PHD Diet Whey Protein

Options
inezbruce
inezbruce Posts: 110 Member
I have been advised to use this protein powder as a meal replacement in combination to exercising 4+ times a week to aid weight loss and sculpt muscle.

Has anyone used this powder and what are your thoughts?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Nothing "aids" weight loss - you lose weight through a sustained calorie deficit, and the larger the deficit, the faster the weight loss, up to a point where your body can't metabolize any more fat and and you get hungry and hangry and miserable.

You "sculpt" mucles by using them.

You can't really build muscle and lose weight at the same time, as building muscle takes a calorie surplus.

If you struggle to get enough protein through food, supplements can help. Any protein powder will do.
  • inezbruce
    inezbruce Posts: 110 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I would be using the shake as a meal replacement; they average 99 calories per shake.
    Im surprised by your post as the product does have lots of reenforcing reviews and is branded a diet whey that helps muscle development by helping rebuild the muscle at a quicker pace ...
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    inezbruce wrote: »
    I would be using the shake as a meal replacement; they average 99 calories per shake.
    Im surprised by your post as the product does have lots of reenforcing reviews and is branded a diet whey that helps muscle development by helping rebuild the muscle at a quicker pace ...

Those are most likely paid-for reviews. And kommodevaran was right.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Many whey proteins that you can buy at stores have just 100 calories per serving.
    A heap of a lot less $$$. Give walmart a visit.

Just because you are not paranoid does not mean they are not out to scam you.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'm not replacing whole meals with liquids. God gave me teeth for a reason.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I have been advised ...

Whoever is advising you should be ignored. People who use a protein supplement do so because they have difficulty getting enough protein from their normal diet. It's a supplement, not a "meal replacement." You could just as easily have some tuna or chicken or other real food.

Also, PHD products seem to be insanely expensive compared to other brands of protein, for the identical product. There's nothing magical about it; it's just whey protein with some other useless crap to give it flavor.
  • dbashby
    dbashby Posts: 44 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I agree with enterdanger. It isn't the shake per se, to me the better way to get your protein and feel more satiety is through real foods high in protein and more toward the leaner side, although I have no problem with fat other than it tends to run up the calorie count. A good protein shake in my experience isn't near as satiating as its meat or egg counterparts per calorie consumed. I believe this to be because gastric emptying is so much faster with liquids. The one constant I have found in my weight loss journey is the key to success seems to be to eat the foods that are the most satiating and that wont have me anxiously seeking out a snack before my next planned meal. I found both protein bars and shakes left me wanting that (and yes I used the good stuff). If I were to suggest anything it would be glucomannan (fiber). The fiber provides an appetite suppressing effect by slowing gastric emptying which keeps you full longer. There is no stimulating effects no absorbable calories.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

Those are most likely paid-for reviews. And kommodevaran was right.

I'm not convinced this thread isn't a paid-for review. Something about the wording...
    the product does have lots of reenforcing reviews and is branded a diet whey that helps muscle development by helping rebuild the muscle at a quicker pace ...