Anyone been to Disney World while overweight??

Has anyone been to Disney World while overweight? I'm 5'5 330lbs and pant size 24/26.
We have a trip planned in September to take our 4 yr old for the first time, and I'm starting to get really anxious about the thought of not being able to ride the rides with him or being kicked off.
I'm hoping to have lost some weight by then but I don't think it will be enough to make much of a difference.
I've read stories that WDW is very plus size friendly, but I have also seen stories of people being asked off a ride. So I thought I'd ask if anyone here had any experiences.
Anything that you'd be willing to share would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• lucentabella
    lucentabella Posts: 114 Member
    My 6'4 300lb husband worked there. He hasn't mentioned anything about not being able to ride the rides. We are going to Disney this fall, as well. He hasn't said anything. My inlaws, who are both very overweight (father in law is at least 300) go every year. They have not made a comment about not being able to ride the rides.
  • DameMcMame
    DameMcMame Posts: 18 Member
    I've got 2 friends who are both overweight. The husband is over 6 ft and has got to be over 330 lbs. They go to Disney World frequently and have never been kicked off rides.
  • dwntwnpengrl
    dwntwnpengrl Posts: 49 Member
    I've been multiple times and not had an issue with rides though Space Mountain will be tight. That being said, my biggest issue is the walking. The last time I went I wasn't in good shape and my knees were in so much pain from the walking that I used an electric cart. Totally humiliating for me but I also didn't want to miss out.
  • ttersy
    ttersy Posts: 1 Member
    I haven't been in quite a few years, but I was probably a size 24 when I went. I had no problems with any ride.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    I was overweight when I went, but I was also only 8, so...
  • tapwaters
    tapwaters Posts: 428 Member
    While not Disney World, my family and I went to a park (I can't remember which one, it was like 13 years ago), and my dad was quite overweight. 5'11 at 300-350lbs, around his heaviest. We tried to ride a roller coaster and they had to get "help" to pull the safety thing down across his chest. It was one of the most humiliating experiences of his life.
  • phillyhockeyfan
    phillyhockeyfan Posts: 57 Member
    I'm going to Disneyland in about a month. This was part of my motivation to loose weight (down 70ish size 22 to size 14). I don't recall how much I weighed my last trip to wdw, but I never had any issues there. However, I went to six flags great adventure two years ago. One of the roller coasters I had an issues closing the bar over my head. The attendant had to help push it down. That made me feel really fat, but I was allowed to ride.
  • tapwaters
    tapwaters Posts: 428 Member
    I'm going to Disneyland in about a month. This was part of my motivation to loose weight (down 70ish size 22 to size 14). I don't recall how much I weighed my last trip to wdw, but I never had any issues there. However, I went to six flags great adventure two years ago. One of the roller coasters I had an issues closing the bar over my head. The attendant had to help push it down. That made me feel really fat, but I was allowed to ride.

I think that's where my dad had trouble, a Six Flags in Texas.
  • wearmi1
    wearmi1 Posts: 291 Member
    I was just at all of the Disney parks in Florida in March, while I'm only 155lbs I don't remember the rides being tight other than the roller coasters which certainly need to be tight! I can't speak for how the children's rides were that allowed parents to ride with the child because I don't have any kids. I will say that I was averaging 25-30k steps a day while we were down there. I would also highly advise you use the fast pass system and pay the money for the bracelets so you can reserve your fast passes really early. The lines for some of the children's attractions were anywhere from 90-120 min.
  • ofcsfoster36
    ofcsfoster36 Posts: 50 Member
    I am 6'4" and went to Disney world when I was over 400 and was able to ride everything. Most of the rides don't have lap or shoulder bars. It might be a little uncomfortable once your in. The biggest thing is the heat especially in August and September in Florida. I live here and we are having an unusually hot summer so far. Drink lots of water and move from shade to shade.