Macros: High Fat / low carb

Options
Has anyone tried a high fat diet with very low carb?
right now I'm eating 1470 calories. I'm 5'1 174 lbs and carry a lot of my fat in my midsection and my arms. My macros right now are at 10c, 45p, 45f which is 37g carbs165g protein and 74g fat.

Has this worked for you? what are some meal ideas to hit the fat and the protein? I find that the hardest part. Thank you any advice.

Replies

• tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I am not Keto low carb, but am low carb. I have mine set to 25c/30p/45f. I usually average about 50-60g of carbs a day, sometimes lower. For proteins, I eat a variety of meat (chicken breast, deli turkey, beef, pork, you about name it) even on salads. I also eat eggs and cheese (hard cheeses are low in carbs but have fat and protein). I avoid anything labeled low fat, most of it they add sugar to to get it to taste good. Buy full fat dressings, milk and other things, add olive or coconut oil to your cooking. If I need to boost my fats for the day, I have a drink with heavy cream in it or grab some nuts (macadamia, pistachio, pecans etc). My favorite is diet root beer, it actually has the taste of a root beer float. There are also things called fat bombs, haven't tried any yet (but I have found a couple of recipes to try).

I also like smoothies for breakfast, they are quick, easy, offer variety and I can add protein powder to it to give it a bigger protein boost. I haven't done it this go around but my new blender is arriving today.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    That was a lot of protein. What made you go for that amount? The more unbalanced your diet is, the more difficult it will be to figure out meal ideas and stick to it.
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    OP, I agree with kommodevaran about your protein level. On low carb, high fat the protein is moderate and not equal to the fat. Who set those for you?
  • smis92103
    smis92103 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I think that looks right. Works for me. Do you work out? For fats: feta, avocado, nuts, string cheese. My favorite proteins: Lean chicken, egg whites, Fage yogurt, high quality protein powders, steak. Here is a great article, which breaks down lowest calorie highest protein foods and also some misinformation outhere-https://www.myliporidex.com/blog/sources-of-protein-how-to-get-abs-fast/

Let me know if that helps and if you have any other questions!
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I was grumpy and weak on low carb until I changed my fats to 65%. And ate more salt.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    That does look like quite a bit of protein. I eat roughly 15c/20p/65f

I generally start the day with coffee with cream or half and half, whole eggs cooked in butter for breakfast, a large salad with leftover meat (steak, chicken, pork chops, etc), shredded cheese, hard boiled egg or avocado, maybe some sunflower kernels, dressed with olive oil and vinegar for lunch, then dinner is some kind of meat (fatty meat - chicken thighs, salmon, rib eye, pork shoulder, you get the idea) and some kind of fibrous veg (green beans, spinach, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, etc) with plenty of butter. For snacks I'll have cheese and almonds or cashews, berries with heavy cream, mini bell peppers filled with guacamole, hard cooked eggs, or occasionally a square or two of dark chocolate. I get well over 100 g of fat this way, and easily hit my protein.
  • kariplz
    kariplz Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have high protein because I lift heavy. I've always tried to eat my protein in grams relevant to my weight and this has worked for me in past so I don't want to lower my protein levels.
  • kariplz
    Options
    smis92103 wrote: »
    I think that looks right. Works for me. Do you work out? For fats: feta, avocado, nuts, string cheese. My favorite proteins: Lean chicken, egg whites, Fage yogurt, high quality protein powders, steak. Here is a great article, which breaks down lowest calorie highest protein foods and also some misinformation outhere-https://www.myliporidex.com/blog/sources-of-protein-how-to-get-abs-fast/

Let me know if that helps and if you have any other questions!

Thank you, I'll check out the link! I have high protein because I work out 4-5x a week and lift heavy 3 of those days. Thanks again!

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    The common bodyweight:protein ratio is one gram per pound of lean body mass, or 0.8 grams per pound at healthy/goal weight. Excess protein (as in not being utilized by your body) will be used as fuel or stored as fat, depending on whether you are in a calorie deficit or not. It can work, as in filling your nutritional needs, but that doesn't mean it's the only split that will work for you, or that a different approach can't work better for you.
  • JeffMatchett
    JeffMatchett Posts: 43 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    The common bodyweight:protein ratio is one gram per pound of lean body mass, or 0.8 grams per pound at healthy/goal weight. Excess protein (as in not being utilized by your body) will be used as fuel or stored as fat, depending on whether you are in a calorie deficit or not. It can work, as in filling your nutritional needs, but that doesn't mean it's the only split that will work for you, or that a different approach can't work better for you.

She can definitely handle more protein than that if she is working out consistently though.
  • danibabii11
    danibabii11 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I did the high fat and low carb thing last fall I lost 10 pounds in a month. My trainer at the time said that women need the higher fat content for our bodies. Healthy fats that is. But it's really hard and time consuming. So good luck!!!
  • godlikepoetyes
    godlikepoetyes Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely no need to eat low carb. True, you will lose weight. You will lose weight if you cut back on fat, too. For me, I have to be able to maintain this way of eating forever. I can never go back. I've tried all the "fad" diets and ran screaming from every one. Now I just eat. Food. (If you love eating low carb, then by all means do so. But it won't help you lose weight in the long run because, unless you just LOVE it, you won't stick with it.)
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    I agree with with some of the other members have already said: your fat % looks too low and your protein % looks too high. OP, I strongly suggest you check out the main low carber daily forum group here in MFP. It's where most of us Ketofiles tend to hang out:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/discussions/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely no need to eat low carb. True, you will lose weight. You will lose weight if you cut back on fat, too. For me, I have to be able to maintain this way of eating forever. I can never go back. I've tried all the "fad" diets and ran screaming from every one. Now I just eat. Food. (If you love eating low carb, then by all means do so. But it won't help you lose weight in the long run because, unless you just LOVE it, you won't stick with it.)

This is absolutely true! I've been able to do LCHF for three years now because I genuinely enjoy the food and I feel great doing it (plus my eczema totally cleared which is like a bonus). I hated calorie counting - with too many carbs I found it hard to stick to goal and felt like a failure :(. No snickers bar is worth feeling that way!
  • kariplz
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    I agree with with some of the other members have already said: your fat % looks too low and your protein % looks too high. OP, I strongly suggest you check out the main low carber daily forum group here in MFP. It's where most of us Ketofiles tend to hang out:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/discussions/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Thank you , I will absolutely check it out!

• becs3578
    becs3578 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I started HIGH fat, MED Protein, LOW carb a few weeks ago and I am feeling great. Losing gain a little, feeling more toned, great energy and not hungry all day like I was before. Today I was 18% carb (Try to stay at 20% or below 5 days a week), 49% fat, and 33% protein.

Breakfast - Two egg scramble with some roasted sweet potato (2oz), 1 piece of bacon and cooking with a little olive.

Lunch - 1 avocado (diced a drizzled with a tiny bit of olive oil so it doesnt discolor) and 4 oz of grilled chicken

Dinner - CHicken, carrots, japanese yam noodles (low carb), with peanut sauce

Snacks - String cheese, greek yogurt and sometimes a protein shake depending on the day.

• jumpnJACS
    jumpnJACS Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I feel so much better eating low carb higher fat. Between that and staying hydrated I am rarely unnecessarily hungry.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I have been LCHF for over a year, and I have been very happy with it. My carbs are lower than yours tough since I was going for ketosis (~20g or 5%). Are you trying for ketosis? You are getting into keto levels, although with your high protein intake, that could work against ketosis a bit.

If you wanted to you could boost your fat by quite a bit. As it stands right now, you are not much above a moderate fat diet. Your diet is a bit more of a low carb high protein diet. Not a bad thing if it works for you. But if you do want to lower protein, adding fats is an easy place to start.

My macros are 5% carbs, 20% protein, and 70% fat. I had good losses at 1500 kcal per day.