Does green tea actually work for weight loss?

Options
2»

Replies

• ChaleGirl
    ChaleGirl Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking green tea for years and it has done absolutely nothing for me in terms of weight loss! Sorry!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    ChaleGirl wrote: »
    I've been drinking green tea for years and it has done absolutely nothing for me in terms of weight loss! Sorry!

Was you LCHF any of those years?
  • MadalinaPetre
    MadalinaPetre Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Green tea will not make you lose weight, but will help you reduce hunger, cravings plus has so many health benefits. It's loaded with antioxidants, regulates sugar level, prevents heart disiases and much more!
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I didn't like the taste of green tea at first, but I've grown used to it. It has a calming effect in my case. I like that it takes away cravings for snacks, and that translates to less calories.
    Wipes out a craving. Better to have green tea than a bag of doritos.

I can't imagine a cup of tea wiping out a craving for something crunchy and salty.

I don't want to eat anything along with green tea. I drink it on its own. Works for me!
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I can't stand green tea, it tastes like dishwater. Even if it did help weight loss which it doesn't, I'd pass. Coffee ftw, good old black coffee baby!
  • RanaSimon
    RanaSimon Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for help with cholesterol, then Green tea is a great option. Actual weight loss, not so much.

IFL Science did a great infographic chart of gimmick 'super' health items, which ones are useful and which are BS, and what they actually help with in your body. Great resource if you're not sure if that supplement is right for you.
    http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/see-which-health-supplements-arent-backed-by-science/
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I can't stand green tea, it tastes like dishwater. Even if it did help weight loss which it doesn't, I'd pass. Coffee ftw, good old black coffee baby!

Me neither! I've tried every flavour combination too, and i can't make myself like it blegh..
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options

Me neither! I've tried every flavour combination too, and i can't make myself like it blegh..

I've chilled it and added it to regular iced tea and squeezed lemon.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »

I've tried that too, plus mixed in some cranberry juice to mask the taste further. Green tea just has a funny/unpleasant taste to me. I have given up on it lol
  • Nasho22
    Nasho22 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Green tea, white tea, black tea and oolong tea are all the same plant. Just processed and fermented differently. Has some benefits, but pulling the iron from your blood stream makes it not worth it to me or anyone struggling with anemia. My grandsons doctor forbid him having tea for that reason.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Nasho22 wrote: »
    Green tea, white tea, black tea and oolong tea are all the same plant. Just processed and fermented differently. Has some benefits, but pulling the iron from your blood stream makes it not worth it to me or anyone struggling with anemia. My grandsons doctor forbid him having tea for that reason.

I drink a lot of milky black tea everyday, this will have to do for my tea consumption :smiley:
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »

I've tried that too, plus mixed in some cranberry juice to mask the taste further. Green tea just has a funny/unpleasant taste to me. I have given up on it lol

I think the trick with green tea is not to brew it too long. If I leave it for more than a minute or so, it gets that weird taste. As for weight loss - it's not going to hurt, but I don't believe it's going to suddenly make you thin overnight - nothing is going to do that!