Protein powder when should you take it?

Options
So im new to protein powder & was wondering at what point should you use protein? Like if you do 2hours a day of workout, than would good to take it?
TIA =)

Replies

• DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    It's just food. There's no real concern over timing for the vast majority of people.

For many, it's just a means of assisting them in hitting their overall protein goals. Myself, I take a powder/shake when I'm in too much of a rush to cook, just need an additional 20ish grams of protein in my day, or whenever I feel like it.

Most of the time I hit my protein goals with food alone, so it's not a big deal, but when I don't, I have a shake to reach closer to my goal.

*edited because even though I'm a native english speaker, I'm obviously second rate at this... words are hard.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I take some after a workout to re-hydrate and get some nutrition or simply to add in some protein to my diet. This morning for instance I had one with a couple of English muffins because I was too lazy to make eggs.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    It's just food. There's no real concern over timing for the vast majority of people.

For many, it's just a means of assisting them in hitting their overall protein goals. Myself, I take a powder/shake when I'm in too much of a rush to cook, just need an additional 20ish grams of protein in my day, or whenever I feel like it.

Most of the time I hit my protein goals with food alone, so it's not a big deal, but when I don't, I have a shake to reach get closer to my goal.

yup. it's just food.

if you need a protein powder to reach your protein goals, drink it whenever is most convenient for you.
  • tiggerlove
    tiggerlove Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    when I'm hungry and don't have time to sit down and eat
  • beliaamerica
    beliaamerica Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thnx eveybody :)
  • beliaamerica
    beliaamerica Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    So whats the deal with having to take protein after a work out. Does it matter much if by the end of the day you hit your protein goal?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    So whats the deal with having to take protein after a work out. Does it matter much if by the end of the day you hit your protein goal?

nope. it all comes down to your overall daily intake. :)

It's a common marketing ploy. "Can't miss your post workout window!"
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    A shake every three hours is recommended. Set your alarm as you don't want to miss one. Timing is critical to massive GAINZ.

Just kidding. Whenever you need protein and a shake is your preferred option, go for it. There is nothing special about whey. It's just protein. You can get it from chicken too.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

Take protein? You mean SLAM protein right? You slam it right after your workout to maximize your gainzzzzzz.

There's no real science (bro-science sure) that says you must take it right after a workout. Still there's nothing wrong with that. You could be pretty thirsty after and it's an easy way to add to your protein goal. Take it right after if you wish or do it later in the day. Meal timing doesn't matter for the most part.

That said, I do my morning runs before eating and I'm usually really, really thirsty and hungry when I'm done. A cold protein shake is my favorite. Current temps have me losing about 3 - 5 pounds so the liquid intake is needed. I'm not one for fancy additions or mixing it in with other things. Ice, protein power, water
  • ktfranke
    ktfranke Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I've heard that it's most beneficial to consume protein within 15-20 minutes after a workout! That's when your body is soaking up nutrients like a sponge to recover from your workout! But I'm not an expert
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I drink mine post workout. Studies have shown within 30 minutes of your workout is an optimal time. Are studies always gospel, no, but it works for me.
  • rocco2018
    rocco2018 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The best result of protein powder is after meal depends how many time a day its suggest you to take it. I do after breakfast after workout and after dinner that's for best results other than that if you have a trainer he might tell you how to use it. I'm a weight lifter and former bodybuilder.
  • BellaSOUL11
    BellaSOUL11 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I just purchased some protein powder today.......so this has been kinda helpful. I need to know the best kind(s)
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    I use it for a quick snack when I'm on the go and don't have much time.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options

It all depends on whether or not you're enhanced. If you're the average person, it doesn't matter at all. If you're injecting yourself with insulin postworkout along with hormone enhancing drugs then immediately postworkout. I personally have a quick shake with fruit and coconut oil in the morning, and then again postworkout along with dextrose.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    ktfranke wrote: »
    I've heard that it's most beneficial to consume protein within 15-20 minutes after a workout! That's when your body is soaking up nutrients like a sponge to recover from your workout! But I'm not an expert

More recent research would suggest there might be some benefit to have carbs & pro +/- 2 hours pre - or post-workout, but they still haven't conclusively supported that notion. Total intake is probably more important and only when you become more elite or very low body fat will is actually matter. Personally, i subscribe to the below:

The-Pyramid-Of-Nutritional-importance.png

Ultimately, there are many other variables that should be addressed prior to timing or even supplementation.