Has anyone followed gastric bypass or gastric sleeve diet without actually doing the surgery?

Options
124»

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    There is a diet pill you could try that mimics the effect of gastric surgery. It's a fiber pill (Konjac Root) that fills your stomach before you have your meal. One brand out there is PGX.

Take several pills with a large glass of water twenty minutes before your meal. You will be full before you even start your meal, curbing appetite.

If I were you I wouldn't try and mimic the Bariatric diet. The calories are very low.

I think if you eat at a deficit, making sure you are getting adequate protein, you will lose weight.

I am guessing that the binge days are blowing your diet, not the regular days where you stay at a deficit.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Elaina291 wrote: »
    aquaeyes83 wrote: »
    I had actual Gastric Sleeve. It's very low quantities of food, but mostly protein. It's not really a diet... It's just all you are capable of eating. I eat about 4-5 ounces of food per meal. But I definitely could not follow it without having had the surgery, so props to you! I eat around 1200 calories a day now (7 months out), and more when working out. I will tell you, it's not a cheaper diet. It's similar to Atkins in a way... Where you eat primarily protein and little carb (but with the surgery, it's weird, your body literally doesn't want the carb....it's strange). So I'm not actually sure what you mean by following it?

I don't mean to call it a diet because I certainly don't see it as a fad diet, but what I was getting at is that it obviously forces you to change how you think and feel about food.

This statement caught my attention- I don't think that an extremely low calorie diet would really change how you think and feel about food. I think it would be arbitrarily restrictive and exacerbate the issues you are already having. Changing how we think and feel about something is a long, slow process. It's absolutely doable, but doesn't happen overnight. You actually have a good motivator there in wanting to control your reflux- that can help you change the way you feel about some of your choices & habits. I know I've come to think of food more as fuel for my improved level of fitness, and generally make better choices now accordingly (been on MFP about a year & a half). I still have a sweet tooth and am working on that issue as well. I eat a lot less than I used to, but still have lots of room for improvement. That's OK- I'm still here and making progress- and I know the kind of wholesale restriction you're suggesting would have led to me becoming discouraged and quitting long ago. You need to eat in a way that will be sustainable for the long haul. You can tweak along the way.

I also was having problems with acid reflux and other issues when I started on MFP. Tomatoes, chocolate, and soda were (and still are if I have too much) the biggest irritants for me (also coffee, but I've never been a big coffee drinker). But the single biggest thing that helped early on before I lost some weight was smaller meals and an eating cut-off at night (nothing after 7 or so). Looking in your diary, it looks like your meals tend to be quite large. If you could break that up a little, it might help. And if you've been having problems for a while, a Dr would likely put you on omeprazole (Prilosec- but it's available generic) for a few weeks to get things healed up.

You've gotten lots of good advice, but I'd just like to second the calls for more protein & fiber. Unless you really love them, I'd lose the ramen noodles & rice cakes. No way those would keep me satisfied. If you like your pasta, look for one of the 150 calorie high fiber versions. Don't taste any different from regular pasta, but are really filling. I got a store brand on sale recently for .69/box. Grab lean meats, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, and even Special K protein cereal anytime you see them on sale. I saw an Aldi brand in your diary- if you have one, no reason not to be living off produce! (We moved a few years ago and that's the single biggest thing I miss being close to :( )

As others have said, you're actually doing very well. No need to do anything drastic... just get those calories under control. Wish you the best! :)

• try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I was also going to mention that, unless you need to avoid dairy, skim milk would be much cheaper than the almond milk and has a good amount of protein. If you do need to use almond milk for some reason, the unsweetened is only 30 calories/cup.
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I had VSG and have been very successful. That being said, following the "diet" would be impossible without the surgery. It starts out very low calorie due to healing. It slowly ramps up after surgery. As someone else mentioned, the surgery removes the great curvature portion of the stomach. That portion has the part that creates the majority of the body's gherlin. For months, or longer, patients should not feel hungry. That was a massive part of my success. Personally, I struggled with binging, so while seeking therapy, taking nutrition courses, seeing a wellness coach, and finding workouts that fit into my life, the surgery helped start controlling my binges. Without gherlin, I have to be sure to eat or my blood sugar drops. I've NEVER forgotten to eat before. Through therapy, I've started dealing with the root of my binging to help be successful in the long term.

Also, the goal of bariatric surgeries is to eventually get back to a normal calorie range. I am currently eating about 1100 calories a day. Some days are less than others because without planning, hitting that can be tough. So there's a lot of planning with or without surgery.

Good luck in your journey!