Question about exercise deficit and nutrition

Options
I just have a question for you. I eat around 2,000 - 2350 calories a day. What usually happens is I go do my exercise and the exercise is wayyy more then the standard amount of exercise a person does. Its a vicious cycle. For example Ill eat around 2,200 calories and the deficit is around 1,500 calories a day. I know this sounds some what crazy but I end up gaining weight. I am able to maintain it just doesn't make sense as a pound of fat is 3,500 calories.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    What is your question?
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    A 1500 calorie per day deficit might be ok if you're very obese. If you're eating 2200 calories with a total deficit of 1500, that puts your TDEE at 3700, right? I put a 72", 250#, 29 yo male into a calculator at "moderately active" and it spit back a TDEE 3300. Are you sure your TDEE is 3700? (It might be, depending on your stats.)
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Why are you doing so much exercise? If your calorie burn is so high that you can't eat enough to properly make up for it, you might be setting yourself up for some serious problems.
  • godlikepoetyes
    godlikepoetyes Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    If you are gaining weight you are either eating more calories than you realize, or you're way overestimating your exercise calories. If you aren't measuring/weighing your food, you may need to do that. Some people can't eat back their exercise calories, or not all of them. And how are you calculating them? Machines at the gym do not do a good job and wearables can be off by enough to make a big difference. I generally use MFP exercise estimates and I have lost weight easily. When MFP doesn't list an exercise, I do some research online. I go to various calories burned calculators and compare the numbers. Then I create my own exercises. This will get you closer to accurate numbers.
  • Green605
    Green605 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    A 1500 calorie per day deficit might be ok if you're very obese. If you're eating 2200 calories with a total deficit of 1500, that puts your TDEE at 3700, right? I put a 72", 250#, 29 yo male into a calculator at "moderately active" and it spit back a TDEE 3300. Are you sure your TDEE is 3700? (It might be, depending on your stats.)

What is your question? hmmm.

Anyway I am at a normal healthy weight range for a man my age. Sometimes I gain weight its very frustrating for me. My numbers are pretty high considering all the exercise. I eat a lot of fruit and healthy stuff. It just doesn't make sense 4 me.