Supplements you use?

Options
kev6686
kev6686 Posts: 28 Member
edited June 2016 in Food and Nutrition
What supplements do you use to assist you in your fitness/gym journey?

I try to stick to those that make a real difference... Otherwise you can end up spending a fortune and neglecting the biggest aid of all, healthy diet!

I use -

Creatine
FIsh oil omega 3's
Vitamin C
Whey protein
Casein protein (won't be using after this bag)
Rhodiola Rosea

Beta Alanine (only just started using this, but the research is there for effectiveness)

If anyone has any questions about the ones I use, feel free to ask, I would only take something I know works for me and how.

It will be good to hear what you guys use and how you feel they benefit you... :)

Replies

• JeffMatchett
    JeffMatchett Posts: 43 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I use:

Morning:
    Natrol Fish Oil Omega 3
    Nature's Bounty Vitamin C
    Kirkland Men's Multivitamins going to switch to Now Foods
    Jamieson Vitamin D 1000iu switching to Now Foods D3

Preworkout:
    5g Glutamine Powder
    5g Now Foods Beta Alanine
    3g Doctor's Best L-Arginine
    200-300mg of caffeine in pill form
    5g Now Foods Creatine Monohydrate Powder

Before bed:
    Now Foods Opti-L-Zinc
    Doctor's Best Chelated Magnesium

Protein:
    Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey
    Mutant Mass

I would suggest you get L-Arginine for pre-workout (or Citrulline Malate if you want an extended release or have long workouts) for NO release during workout. If you're deficient in zinc or magnesium they can help a lot with testosterone production and sleep. If you aren't deficient then by all means pass them up, I just take them to make sure. A surprising amount of people are.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Vitamin d and iron (doctors orders)
    Biotin and folic acid (dermatologists orders)
    Fish oil (I heard it was good to take, have no idea if it's true or not. It barely costs anything to take so I'll take my chances)
    Melatonin (I suck at sleeping)
  • DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    It would be easier to list the supplements I don't use ; )
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Vitamin D3- I take 3-5000iu a day
  • JenChamberlin87
    JenChamberlin87 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Lots! :) But daily I take a probiotic, a multivitamin, biotin, maca, MyCommunity mushroom complex & vitamin d! I love my supplements.
  • therezeal
    therezeal Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I save my money by not using any. I spend my money food instead. But that is just me, I've been through the whole use every supplement I can phase. There were days, were I would I would pop pills in the morning, at lunch pre-workout, have a stuff for post workout, then more before bed. Now, I fast in the morning, and eat better foods throughout the rest of the day. I drink coffee before I lift and honestly, I feel better in the gym, I have seem significant improvements in all my lifts, and I sleep better at night. And honestly, if MOST (because some are not bad, like Creatine) worked, these supplement companies would be out of business. Just my perspective on it.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Fish oil
    Daily vitamin
    Global formula non stim pre
    Carnivore beef protein
    Creatine
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Krill oil
    B Complex
    Iron (Spatone)

I don't really consider these supplements, but whatever
    BCAAs
    Protein powders/bars
    creatine
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Krill oil
    B Complex
    Iron (Spatone)

BCAAs
    Protein powders/bars
    creatine

Interesting. Is the Krill Oil what you take that would be the same as fish oil pills? Seems logical, but would be interested in your opinion on it. Thanks!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Krill oil
    B Complex
    Iron (Spatone)

BCAAs
    Protein powders/bars
    creatine

Interesting. Is the Krill Oil what you take that would be the same as fish oil pills? Seems logical, but would be interested in your opinion on it. Thanks!
    This is going to be a stupid long backstory, sorry-
    Yep. Sure is! I am a vegetarian and i have never ever eaten meats or fish products so this is actually the first time i've taken something that comes from an animal. I have an autoimmune disease called "Sjogren's syndrome" which attacks my mucous membranes and moisture-secreting glands. So things like- dry mouth, dry eyes, dry skin, etc.

Because my eyes are so dry i have scratched my corneas up, have red stinging eyes, etc. When i went in to get plugs put into my tear ducts (to keep my eyes from draining) the ophthalmologist suggested i take fish or krill oil.

I actually used to take flax oil and it clearly wasn't effective. When i switched to fish oil it was AWFUL. First of all the capsules are huge and i would constantly choke on them or they would get stuck on the way down. Or i would get fishy burps/breath throughout the day (again, as someone who doesn't eat meat/fish this was just disgusting to me).

Krill oil is TINY and more concentrate than fish oil. The capsules are easy to swallow. They are vanilla flavored. They give 0% fishyness. And best of all, they have seriously changed my skin, mouth, and eyes! I wish i had started taking this YEARS ago!
    This is a similar comparison in size-
    krill_vs_Fish_Oil.gif

Anyways, i highly recommend krill oil. It's just as effective without all the crappy side effects of fish oil. And it's similar in price. I personally use the Omega Red brand.

TLDR; Yes, i take krill oil instead of fish oil
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    Thank you! That is exactly the reason I gave up fish oil pills. The side effects were horrible! But, I know the benefits are good, so I will definitely give these a try. Thanks again!
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I take:
    - Probiotics (Garden of Life Colon Care + sometimes another one for some extra strains, depending on how shaky my digestive health is at the moment)
    - Fish Oil (Nordic Naturals Arctic Cod D Liquid)
    - Vitamin D3 (Garden of Life MyKind Organics Chewable)
    - B12 (Garden of Life MyKind Organics Spray
    - Vitamin C (Nutrabio C Plus Rosehips)
    - Magnesium Citrate (Natural Calm Raspberry-Lemon flavor)
    - Protein Powder (just depends in what I got for free from work. It's usually something from Garden of Life since they're so generous to us. I have a huge tub of Sunwarrior jn the basement that I haven't opened yet. I also have some Vanilla Bone Broth Protein from Ancient Nutrition that I drink when I'm sick of when my stomach problems flare up.)
    - Greens powders (Amazing Grass)

I tried "Flush-Free" Niacin from NOW Foods once. God, was that ever a lie.