Yoga for weightloss and building muscle?

Options
Has anyone had luck with losing weight and gaining muscle by doing yoga? I'm changing my workout to include this as well as swimming and some cardio. I'm focusing on core and muscle tone with a little cardio on the side.

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, you need to create a calorie deficit
    Yoga will not cause weight loss alone
    Building muscle and yoga usually don't go hand in hand.For me, I eat at a calorie surplus while lifting heavy to build muscle.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I do a decent bit of yoga. Until recently, I was going 2 - 3 x per week. I can't vouch for whether or not the yoga was specifically contributable to my weight loss, but I can tell you that my strength, flexibility, and endurance have increased significantly with regular yoga attendance. During my first couple classes, it was so, so hard for me. All my muscles shook like a leaf, a left with jello legs, and I sweat more than what one might call "profusely". After a couple months, while it's still a rather intense workout for me, I shake less, can hold poses longer, and often take advanced options.

Whether or not it's going to help you build muscle, it will absolutely help you build strength. I strongly believe that everyone should do at least some yoga as part of their exercise routine.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Has anyone had luck with losing weight and gaining muscle by doing yoga? I'm changing my workout to include this as well as swimming and some cardio. I'm focusing on core and muscle tone with a little cardio on the side.

You can build strength and endurance in yoga, but not really bulk/build. It is really good for core stability and such though.
  • Annamarie3404
    Annamarie3404 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I do a decent bit of yoga. Until recently, I was going 2 - 3 x per week. I can't vouch for whether or not the yoga was specifically contributable to my weight loss, but I can tell you that my strength, flexibility, and endurance have increased significantly with regular yoga attendance. During my first couple classes, it was so, so hard for me. All my muscles shook like a leaf, a left with jello legs, and I sweat more than what one might call "profusely". After a couple months, while it's still a rather intense workout for me, I shake less, can hold poses longer, and often take advanced options.

Whether or not it's going to help you build muscle, it will absolutely help you build strength. I strongly believe that everyone should do at least some yoga as part of their exercise routine.

Building strength is what I meant. I also need to work on balance, and hope this will help with that too.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    My experience?
    Weight loss, no, building muscle yes. Muscles are bigger and stronger, yoga butt is a thing. My arms and legs are bigger around and still very lean.

What are you doing now? I switched from Jazzercise only, which got me lean and skinny and aerobically fit, and was loads of fun, to jogging and yoga (my schedule changed and I couldn't drive to the jazzercise) and gained about 10-12lb of what certainly seems to be mostly lean muscle; obviously i ate more also to accomplish this, I needed muscle to do the poses and movements.

I do know at least two people who lost weight doing only yoga, a lot of weight, but both are still kind of padded just super strong and flexible. They aren't very lean. The people I know who are lean and muscled from yoga were, like me, coming from underweight going up, not overweight coming down.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

Building strength is what I meant. I also need to work on balance, and hope this will help with that too.

Yes, many styles of yoga will help with building strength and balance. (And flexibility, and decreasing stress...)

To avoid confusion, you may wish to edit your post to change your thread title and question to reflect "strength" instead of "muscle." You can edit for up to an hour. After that time, you can ask a moderator to do this by Flag > Reporting it.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Options

It positively will help with both.

I attend class with a gal who is skinny as a rail, and her ONLY exercise is yoga, 4 - 5x per week. She's lost weight and gained strength doing just yoga.

I had 2 c-sections, 5 and 6 years ago. 11 months ago, I had an ovary removed. While the procedure was primarily laparoscopic, they did open a portion of my c-section scar. Due to repetitive surgeries, my core has been chronically weak. My first 2 months of yoga, I was taking pregnancy options for anything involving my core. I'm now following advanced options, including for core work. Changes will happen!

Just as importantly, yoga has been amazing for my mental health. It's a wonderful stress relief and mood booster.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Options
    robininfl wrote: »
    My experience?
    Weight loss, no, building muscle yes. Muscles are bigger and stronger, yoga butt is a thing. My arms and legs are bigger around and still very lean.

What are you doing now? I switched from Jazzercise only, which got me lean and skinny and aerobically fit, and was loads of fun, to jogging and yoga (my schedule changed and I couldn't drive to the jazzercise) and gained about 10-12lb of what certainly seems to be mostly lean muscle; obviously i ate more also to accomplish this, I needed muscle to do the poses and movements.

I do know at least two people who lost weight doing only yoga, a lot of weight, but both are still kind of padded just super strong and flexible. They aren't very lean. The people I know who are lean and muscled from yoga were, like me, coming from underweight going up, not overweight coming down.

You can totally lose weight doing yoga.

However, keep in mind that you'll likely only burn 150 - 400 calories during an hour of yoga, depending on the type and your stats. It won't be a prominent factor in weight loss unless you're also eating at a deficit, and including some cardio if you have a lot to lose is probably a good idea too.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Weight loss, no - that takes having a calorie deficit, but yes it will build strength.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I used to do vinyasa and prana yoga 5-6 times per week. I lost some weight and gained muscle without changing my eating habits with yoga. It made a big difference in my body. I've never been overweight and the most I've had to lose is 15 lbs.
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    There are SO many types of yoga. For building muscle it's really going to depend on a lot of factors including what style you're practicing & what your starting strength is. If your going for thay, id suggest looking into vinyasa or ashtanga styles. It's possible to gain strength from yoga, but I like to practice slower, more relaxing styles personally. I lift weights to gain muscle. I practice yoga to be able to live in my own brain.

Also, weightloss will come from calorie deficit. Exercise can be used to increase that deficit, but you can't outrun (or outyoga) your fork.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I do 90 minute level 2 (advanced) classes 4-5 times per week. In the three months since I started at the studio, my frame has gotten much leaner, and my shoulders/upper arms have a lot more definition. I still lift heavy (full body) one day a week, but traded in my second lifting session for a yoga class. It's worked well for me.

I went to a studio to do yoga instead of PT. I have back issues and have practiced on and off for years. More off than on. The bonus is my tension headaches have completely disappeared. My back is feeling better as well.
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    This is what yoga has done for me:
    1. Increased strength and flexibility
    2. Improved muscle tone
    3. Improved my state of mind
    4. Given me awesome legs and butt
    5. Works out the kinks and aches from treadmill days - a good balance to cardio for me
    6. Other benefits are not as easy to label - confidence, peace, "regularity" (LOL), suppleness, breath awareness, glowing youthful skin, and other subtle intangibles. Although I alternate yoga with cardio and strength days - if I only did one thing - it would be yoga hands-down....
  • tazzwebb1
    tazzwebb1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Would you havevany yoga youtube videos to recommend?x
  • Annamarie3404
    Annamarie3404 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I just search until I can find one that I can do. My balance and core strength are terrible, and I hope yoga can help with this.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    If you've never done yoga, I'd get a groupon for a studio and get some lessons. Proper form is absolutely crucial to building a good, safe practice. It can be hard to know from watching a video if you're doing the poses correctly, because many are so subtly nuanced. Not doing the poses correctly also limits the benefits.

I joined my studio with a groupon for one month of unlimited classes for $49.
  • queenofpuppies
    queenofpuppies Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    tazzwebb1 wrote: »
    Would you havevany yoga youtube videos to recommend?x

fightmaster yoga; yoga with Adrianne
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Options
    I just search until I can find one that I can do. My balance and core strength are terrible, and I hope yoga can help with this.

They say if you aren't wobbly, you aren't challenging yourself.

I'd recommend you find a class somewhere, be it at a gym or paying for a few classes at a local studio, and go with a guided lesson. That tends to be a really great "get your feet wet" introduction to yoga. There's likely more you can do than you think :mrgreen: