Fit Band...Mine doesn't register...Any ideas?

Options
Rushbrook60
Rushbrook60 Posts: 95 Member
edited June 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Ok, so I heard everyone talking about fit bands and an opportunity came along where I became a fit band owner. Mine isn't your usual fit bit/misfit or whatever else you can buy, in fact I have zero idea as to what brand it even is and there is no reading for calories burnt and no online app that I can link it to.

Any ideas how I register the exercise I've done and what calories I've burnt by doing it? All mine reads is the distance, number of steps and time spent walking. Gutted I can't work it out and really wanted to use it...have no idea how to log my "movement" as exercise on MFP because I can't enter the steps I've walked. Help?

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I would just set your activity level based on your avg steps per day in this case. Average out at least a weeks worth of steps.
    Less than 5k - Sedentary
    5k - 10k Lightly active
    10k - 15k Active
    15k + very active
  • Rushbrook60
    Options
    I would just set your activity level based on your avg steps per day in this case. Average out at least a weeks worth of steps.
    Less than 5k - Sedentary
    5k - 10k Lightly active
    10k - 15k Active
    15k + very active

Sorry hun, not quite understanding. How would I add the daily exercise to MFP? I know my average speed in 3.0mph but I don't know how to convert that into to time from steps. I've found that the band runs all day so the amount of time I actually move isn't as long as that (some of my day is at a desk so parts of my day I'm not mobile yet the band runs as if I am, but doesn't count my steps until I move...weird right?). If I knew how long I was actually mobile for, I could add it to MFP using my speed and time spent moving but you can't add steps and speed
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Basically I'm saying adjust your activity level so that it accounts for your exercise using the steps from your band.

If at the end of the week you averaged 10k steps a day, set your activity level to Lightly Active and don't worry about logging anything unless it goes above/beyond that. MFP already accounts for some of the steps you will take in a day so you don't want to log every step you take according to your band. Fitbit/Garmin/Jawbone users don't get adjustments based on steps but based on how many calories the devices said they burned. If their device said they burned 2000, but MFP only thought they would burn 1800 then 200 calories would get added to their day. Since yours doesn't provide that information, the next best thing is to adjust your activity level to account for your full day activity (exercise included) and not log any extra exercise (unless it's not step based like swimming or cycling).
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Sorry hun, not quite understanding. How would I add the daily exercise to MFP? 1) I know my average speed in 3.0mph but I don't know how to convert that into to time from steps. I've found that the band runs all day so the amount of time I actually move isn't as long as that (some of my day is at a desk so parts of my day I'm not mobile yet the band runs as if I am, but doesn't count my steps until I move...weird right?). If I knew how long I was actually mobile for, 2) I could add it to MFP using my speed and time spent moving but you can't add steps and speed
    1) The only way to do that is to manually count each step. Mark your beginning number and ending number. Subtract the beginning number from your ending number and that will be your total steps taken during that workout.

2) you can add the speed of your workout to the Cardio Log on MFP. Just punch in Walking then the Speed [IE : Walking 3.0mph] and it will find the best suited match. And you are correct you cannot manually add steps to MFP. They must be imported from one of their supported brands. Fitbit, Garmin, Misfit, Under Armour.
  • need2belean
    need2belean Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Basically I'm saying adjust your activity level so that it accounts for your exercise using the steps from your band.

If at the end of the week you averaged 10k steps a day, set your activity level to Lightly Active and don't worry about logging anything unless it goes above/beyond that. MFP already accounts for some of the steps you will take in a day so you don't want to log every step you take according to your band. Fitbit/Garmin/Jawbone users don't get adjustments based on steps but based on how many calories the devices said they burned. If their device said they burned 2000, but MFP only thought they would burn 1800 then 200 calories would get added to their day. Since yours doesn't provide that information, the next best thing is to adjust your activity level to account for your full day activity (exercise included) and not log any extra exercise (unless it's not step based like swimming or cycling).

^^^ Great summary. I couldn't have said it better myself.
  • Rushbrook60
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Was hoping (when I go on my walks) that I could log them. Could be tricky but never mind.
  • need2belean
    need2belean Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Was hoping (when I go on my walks) that I could log them. Could be tricky but never mind.

If it's a separate walk outside of your daily work routine then yes, log it. Use an app called mapmywalk/mapmyrun and that way it measure how far you've walked. There's an estimation of calories burned on the website. Sometimes it's extremely wrong but a good way to measure is around 100 calories per mile.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options

Endomondo, Strava, MapMyFitness, Under Armour Record. Any of those apps will sync with MFP and allow you to track your workouts and account for the calories you worked off.