1200 to 1500 calorie menus

Options
Can anyone suggest any books or websites that have family and budget friendly 1200 to 1500 calories menus? I get emails for weekly menu plans from Eating Light, but my family isn't as thrilled with the whole "eating clean" concept as I am. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thanks! :)

Replies

• LisaKay91
    LisaKay91 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    https://www.reddit.com/r/1200isplenty/

They have good ideas but most are individual meals.. I'm sure you can figure out how to modify it for more than one person
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I guess I'd need to know what your version of "eating clean" is.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    dlkfox wrote: »

My family will not eat anything involving brown rice, cous cous, quinoa, tofu, vegetarian main dish anything, cauliflower rice, zoodles, or main dish salads not covered in cheese, bacon, or ranch. I love these; them, not so much.
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I often will make a couple of different sides to accommodate different tastes. I figure if I can get any vegetable into anyone, I've done good.

When my family does salads, eveyone puts on their own toppings so everyone likes what they are eating.

Since they don't like brown rice, try Jasmine rice. It has a wonderful aromatic flavor. The difference in fiber is just 1g.

My family loves my Brussels sprouts and sausage recipe:

1.5 pounds Brussels sprouts
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp pepper
    Dash of crushed red pepper
    2 tbsp olive oil
    4 oz country sausage or Italian sausage

Trim sprouts and mix with oil and spices. Put on a baking sheet. Hand crumble the sausage over the sprouts. Roast at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Then turn them all over. Roast for another 15 to 20 minutes.

You could also try Ratatouille and serve it with chicken and rice. You can switch the portion sizes around based on each individual calorie and nutritional goals.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

My family will not eat anything involving brown rice, cous cous, quinoa, tofu, vegetarian main dish anything, cauliflower rice, zoodles, or main dish salads not covered in cheese, bacon, or ranch. I love these; them, not so much.

Just do what my mom did, say "eat what I cooked or eat *kitten* "
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options

Just do what my mom did, say "eat what I cooked or eat *kitten* "

That didn't work. They don't eat it and I end up with large amounts of wasted food. Thanks for your attempt on being helpful.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    My tactic for making food with a picky eater was to make one meal, but put extra cheese or extra breading on his portion. Most all foods can be healthy if you're calculate the calories and stay under your limit.
  • StarryJD
    StarryJD Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Blog called 100 days of real food. Not all practical or possible but more family-oriented. I've had good success with a lot of these recipes & my family and can always add extra shredded cheese, sour cream etc for those who want it. I like the older entries/recipes best. The newer ones are more ads.
  • Gena575
    Gena575 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I make multiple sides. Or if I'm doing a salad (like taco or cheeseburger) for supper, he eats the meat on tortillas or buns. I cook 2 portions of sides I know he won't eat so I have lunch leftovers.