2»

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    kimby303 wrote: »
    crispw60 wrote: »
    Sugar is merely a recreational drug, to be used consciously on blue moon days.

--"Sugar is just a food - there is nothing drug-like about it. It's just a simple carbohydrate (much like the type in the pizza you recommend OP eats for lunch or the fruit you ask the OP to consider instead of some other snack)."

There isn't anything not drug-like about added sugar, and there are different types. Added sugar can cause changes in the brain chemistry leading to dependence, withdrawal symptoms, cravings, binges, the whole nine yards (aka medical addiction). There's also data suggesting it's harder to break than amphetamines or alcohol due to the impact on stress hormones. The pita bread I recommended has 1g sugar and 5 net carbs, an entirely healthy choice vs the sugar cravings the poster referenced. The fruit has natural sugar, affecting the system very differently and positively with a multitude of nutrients and vitamins. I don't know anyone that had to check-in to a clinic for eating too many apples. Maybe that's what happened to you.
    Treat to eat five little meals a day and you won't go hungry.

--"Meal timings have zero effect on weight loss - some eating patterns may help with compliance but that seems to be a personal preference and OP would be best advised to experiment with meals/snack to find what works for them (and fits into their lifestyle)."

No one said she'd lose 50% more weight based on what time of day she ate. This was a suggestion to equally space meals to evenly distribute protein for max effect and reduce glycemic load surges to maintain a steadier level, among other things. Regular intake also helps to prevent binging. I believe the poster asked for suggestions to break a sugar hold and eat more healthy.
    Don't ditch everything, just replace the zero-nutrition items with high quality subs.

--"There is no zero-nutrition food. This Good Food/Bad Food concept is one of the biggest problems with the "health/fitness/diet" industry and its continual regurgitation seems to hinder people in finding a sustainable eating system ("diet") rather than help."

Oh contraire, li'l grasshopper. For starters, check the label on some Diet Coke.

I think the lady just asked for a little help so I don't know that your conspiracy-theorist criticisms are useful for her purpose.

Yes, exactly!! Studies have shown that sugar is more addictive than cocaine! I, too, am a "crack" (sugar) addict, and the only way I can stop is cold turkey. It's definitely hard the first week (or two), but I know that if I have one sweet thing, I'll want three, which quickly turns into five. Just do it.

What studies are you referring to?
  • crispw60
    crispw60 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Jane, here's one for you: https://authoritynutrition.com/how-sugar-makes-you-addicted/
    This article has footnotes linked to the actual study, in this case from the Nat'l Institute of Health
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Buy Lindt Sea Salt chocolate squares.
    I eat one after a meal. 44 calories. Does the trick. Let it melt slowly in your mouth. Sweet tooth satisfied.

Oh how i wish i could be satisfied with just one square of chocolate....