How Often do you Weight Yourself?

Options
jcdynan
jcdynan Posts: 11 Member
I am fairly early in my process and have been trying to keep to only once per week. Wednesdays for what ever reason. But I wonder if I should try to let it be longer. Maybe Monthly. Last week I only lost 1 pound and was really bummed but this week I lost 6 and was ecstatic.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week. I think it really depends on your own feelings. The longer you leave between weigh-ins, the more likely it is that your loss is pretty close to your actual loss, and not a result of the normal peaks and valleys that our bodies go through in terms of weight. For me, there's enough consistency in a week, but you may want to do monthly. Plus, 1 lbs. a week is great! That's definitely not an "only" moment.
  • theepervette
    theepervette Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I weigh my self daily.
    It's become an addiction.

Apparently it's also a form of bulimia.
  • englishbulldog2013
    englishbulldog2013 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    weight myself every Saturday morning post weight yourself before breakfast time
  • alyssabrown94
    Options
    When I was first starting out, I weighed myself once a week.
  • geekette411
    geekette411 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning but I only log Monday's weight.
  • dnunny70
    dnunny70 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I don't have a scale that works at home; besides the Wii Fit board. I will go to my doctor's office on Friday to weigh myself. I did it about 2 weeks ago.

Weighing myself every day was not good for my mental state. I even had my husband take the scale to work/hide it. That was many years ago.
  • sarahann513
    sarahann513 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I usually do once a week, but I'm thinking about doing every other week, just so that like you hinted towards, the number is a little bigger and a little more motivating!
  • phil_mawson
    Options
    The more data points the better - it's the overall trend that matters not the daily ups and downs :)
  • elkahallick
    elkahallick Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Normally, Every Monday morning right after I get out of bed and take a leak.... Right now I am reverse dieting, so every morning right after I get out of bed and take a leak....
  • lynnmc40
    lynnmc40 Posts: 8
    Options
    what works for me is weighing every morning. If I get a good result, it motivates me, if I get a bad result, it motivates me more.
  • maybeazure
    maybeazure Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day that I think about it before I eat or take a shower. I've noticed that I go up and down a lot...one day I'll be down a pound, the next day up half of one, then down again, etc. My rule is that I record it on this site whenever I see a lower weight, and don't record gains unless they last a week. Weighing too often (like I know I do) can be frustrating because of the up an downs. But when I was in weight watchers and only weighing once a week I noticed that I started "celebrating" after a weigh in, because I knew it would be awhile before I weighed in again. At first my celebrations would only last one day, but pretty soon they would be two, and then three...and then I was off the wagon.

I don't think that I would go less often than once a week, but then again, I'm kind of addicted to it.
  • chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself and log it in every morning. It keeps me motivated.
  • DanielleJoy129
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning, but I only record losses. Our weight fluctuates daily/weekly due to water retention etc. but only recording the losses allow me to see my NET loss over a long period of time.

The important thing is that you don't let the number derail you.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I weigh my self daily.
    It's become an addiction.

Apparently it's also a form of bulimia.

Ok, I apparently don't know all the definitions of bulimia, unless you're going with the absolute literal translation "ravenous hunger" which might be equated with obsessiveness.

Anyway, I weigh and log that weight daily.
  • Rilzy
    Rilzy Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have literally just started but I am thinking about once per week, I have decided on Saturdays after my workout. I don't think I could do it every day but I am too antsy for every other week.
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Every day, pretty much. At least every other day.
  • angelatjones16
    Options
    Once a week for me!
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Every morning after a couple cups of coffee and my reading time :)
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    every day, it keeps me accountable. But I don't freak if I can't weigh myself, I just like to always know where I'm at. And I only weigh in the mornings
  • mdvx
    mdvx Posts: 3
    Options
    Every day, sometime twice a day, good tools like WeightTrend.com smooth out the randomness. Also I am getting pretty good at predicting my weight based on the activity of the last two days.