Just started out, don't seem to be losing weight

Options
Ok I know you lot will have seen hundreds of posts like this before but I thought I'd throw another one in.

I'm 6ft and weigh 20st, I'm a big lad and I've always carried my weight well so I'm never going to be 'skinny' and I'm happy with that, at the moment however I'm bigger than I ever have been and definitely need to drop a few stones.

I've been at this for 3 weeks now, I've bought food scales, swapped white rice for brown rice, white bread for brown bread, barely use butter if I'm having sandwiches, eating plenty of chicken and fish, no microwave meals.

At the minute I'm doing between 20 and 40 minutes 4 or 5 days a week on my stationary bike (I have a tricky hip so I struggle after much more than 40 minutes)

I've always said that I won't torture myself, if I fancy a curry on a Friday night then I'll treat myself to one.

When I first started 3 weeks ago my official weight was 20st 4, after just a few days it plummeted to 19st 12, since the second and third week I fluctuate between 19St 13 and 20st 2.

I can't understand why I'm not seeing anything, every day (apart from maybe a friday) I'm well below my calorie intake and I'm exercising yet my weight isn't changing.

I took photos when I started and have just took a few more but nope, no change (except that I have had a shave in that time) clothes don't feel like they are fitting any differently or anything.

Any ideas or is it just a case of keep on keeping on?

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    This flowchart has good advice:

vwhf3chhushe.jpg
  • leebirm
    leebirm Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Looks like 3 weeks is the magic number then, I'll just get on with what I was doing I suppose.

I'll report back in a few weeks and let you all know how much weight I've put on lol
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    leebirm wrote: »
    Ok I know you lot will have seen hundreds of posts like this before but I thought I'd throw another one in.

I'm 6ft and weigh 20st, I'm a big lad and I've always carried my weight well so I'm never going to be 'skinny' and I'm happy with that, at the moment however I'm bigger than I ever have been and definitely need to drop a few stones.

I've been at this for 3 weeks now, I've bought food scales, swapped white rice for brown rice, white bread for brown bread, barely use butter if I'm having sandwiches, eating plenty of chicken and fish, no microwave meals.

At the minute I'm doing between 20 and 40 minutes 4 or 5 days a week on my stationary bike (I have a tricky hip so I struggle after much more than 40 minutes)

I've always said that I won't torture myself, if I fancy a curry on a Friday night then I'll treat myself to one.

When I first started 3 weeks ago my official weight was 20st 4, after just a few days it plummeted to 19st 12, since the second and third week I fluctuate between 19St 13 and 20st 2.

I can't understand why I'm not seeing anything, every day (apart from maybe a friday) I'm well below my calorie intake and I'm exercising yet my weight isn't changing.

I took photos when I started and have just took a few more but nope, no change (except that I have had a shave in that time) clothes don't feel like they are fitting any differently or anything.

Any ideas or is it just a case of keep on keeping on?

Keep on keeping on with fewer sandwiches and less frequent or smaller volume curry. Those are two hindrances to weight loss you've mentioned.
  • leebirm
    leebirm Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I normally have one sandwich a day for my lunch at work, I can't stop the Friday night curry though, that's tradition and one of the few treats I allow myself
  • philippakate197
    philippakate197 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    The type of food you eat won't matter for weight loss, as long as keep to a deficit you will lose weight. You can still eat sandwiches and white rice! When you have that takeaway though you may be having a load of salt that is causing you to retail water therefore masking the fat you've lost.

I'd recommend tracking your weight loss on an app like happy scale which will help you see the trends over time. Also make sure your measuring and logging is on point.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Make sure your average calories are below target, it's quite possible for the Friday night curry to undo all your work during the week. If that is the case you'll have to look at reducing the portion size there.

If you let us know what your weight loss goal is (eg 1lb a week, 2lb a week), how far under you calories you usually are, and how far over you go on a Friday, we'll be better able to answer the question. Better yet, make your diary public so we can see it.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Track absolutely every gram of food that you eat and make sure you're hitting your goal set on here.