Shocking words from my Grandma.

Options
13»

Replies

• quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    well put, the young man thinks he knows more than his elders at twice his age...that's just silly. ALL of Grandma's words make sense, even if you choose to ignore them.

Plenty of things make sense if you think about them. My own grandmother (the side I got to know, at least, as my mother's parents died/ran off years ago) doesn't like "haoles." (She's Hawaiian.) Will go out of her way to be nasty or dismissive of them.

So it makes plenty of SENSE that she treated my sister and I - our father the only one out of five children who dared marry a white woman - badly.

But just because it makes sense doesn't mean that it's a good idea.

There is wisdom in listening to your elders. But learn which elders are worth listening to. Old *kitten* are still *kitten*.
  • Geojerm
    Geojerm Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Grandma's advice was "shocking"? How so?

She's from a "different time"? You mean one where we didn't have a >50% divorce rate and >40% out of wedlock births? There weren't 54 million aborted babies?

Yeah, they were really stupid back then. Morals? Values? PLEASE! Who needs that ****?

Families today are awesome and have no ill effects on children right? Growing up in a single-parent household isn't the biggest factor in bad outcomes later in life right?

The truth about couples from match.com the man is usually taller, older, makes more money.

Of course today everyone is so smart we don't need things like values or to teach children right from wrong when the media and govt can do that for us.

Wow wow wow. So much for respecting your elders. I suppose she hasn't learned **** in life. Glad you are so smart you should educate her about how to have a successful marriage and raise a great family.

Oh wait...you've done none of those things yet.

Oh my fkn god...really? let me guess...

nevermind. Ill just keep that thought to myself.

lol
    99 percent of all statistics only tell 49 percent of the story !!

hey, remember the days when you could sell your wife at an auction...... yet no divorce stats in those times... interesting :indifferent:
  • Iknewyouweretrouble
    Iknewyouweretrouble Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    sorry but if you don't have grandmas seal of approval look elsewhere.
    the grandma test is the most stringent test.
    now I miss my grandma :(
  • Iknewyouweretrouble
    Iknewyouweretrouble Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    The only advice I got was from my Dad and he said

"Marry a woman that can cook, because love gets old & sex gets old but you'll always be hungry!"

Sex gets old? :_(
  • Microfiber
    Microfiber Posts: 956 Member
    Options

"Marry a woman that can cook, because love gets old & sex gets old but you'll always be hungry!"

For men, yes. Not for women :drinker:
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Haha, I'm kinda with your grandma on #1, but for the opposite reason. I don't want to date someone too much older than me because I want to be equals.
  • catrinaHwechanged
    catrinaHwechanged Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    If you see her once every 4 years...you just smile and nod :) And then move on to the next subject ;)

Yep :)
  • Cutting4life
    Cutting4life Posts: 505 Member
    Options

if ur doing it with the same person
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I'm seven years older than my SO....and he definitely is the man in the relationship...altho we 50/50 who's on top
    :drinker:
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    D'awww... now I miss my grandparents.

In general, I'd just smile and nod to my Primitive Baptist religious fanatic grandmother, but refused to lie if she asked me a straight up question. (i.e. are you living in sin with your boyfriend? etc.)

My other grandmother always picked up the bar tab and warned me against jumping into commitment because men were *kitten*. When you're old enough, you don't give a crap how you sound to people, if you ever did.
  • FearAnLoathingJ
    FearAnLoathingJ Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    So I see my grandma maybe once every 4 years or so. She is a cool woman and all but one day we were talking about women and my future soul mate. She gave me a set of rules I should follow:

1. The girl must not be the same age as you or older. At-least 4 years younger because you need to remain the man in the relationship and always on top.

2. She must be a person of faith or she is not for you.

3. If I don't like her then she is not for you and am not coming to visit.

So I was like wtf people still think like that. I told her grandma sorry but those rules don't apply to me.
    Was I out of line for saying that?
    It totally caught me of guard.

i think your a little sensitive. Shocking words from your garndma would be she's a coke and meth dealer and wants you to work for her.

The age thing is funny...just laugh at that.

number 2 is right on IF you are a person a of faith. Meaning if you are a strong Christian or Jew or Muslin and that is honestly the most important thing in your life uh...yeah...you better make sure that is in line and your spouse shares that faith. So I wouldn't say she has to be of a certain faith but your views on religion (and money) better line the hell up.

number 3 is funny

you have to laugh it off but nothing there is even close to "shocking"

My husband believes in god, and I'm an atheist. We have a great relationship
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    My grandma told me I should always date younger men because they never grow up anyway. & she's right so yours is totally wrong on number 1. Age is just a number. :flowerforyou:
  • lostdogg
    lostdogg Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    My grandma is the coolest old girl I know. I can't repeat most of her advice due to the fact that the nature of most of it would put a lock on this thread. But she has some real doosies...... She also f***s with ppl on a regular basis. Regardless of age, race, sex, or disabilities. No one is of limits. Not family strangers or anyone in between.

Grandma:flowerforyou:
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I don't think actual age really matters; sharing the same faith (or not) makes one have similar values etc so would automatically make them more compatible; as for pleasing your gran, well I guess that that depends on how much you value her advice. Has she generally been a wise lady who has made good choices? If so, then I guess that I'd respect her opinion; if not, then maybe her advice is best left!

Ultimately, it all rather takes away the romance of it all......hopefully the right person will cross your path and you will just know that they are the one for you whether or not your gran's boxes have all been ticked!

Keep looking! x
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    the OP should just do the exact opposite of everything his grandmother says. he'll probably have a great life then.
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I have no doubt OP that your grandmother said those things to you. I don't know how old she is, but I will tell you that the grandparents that I hang with (i'm 60) are the last people on earth that would give that kind of advice to their adult children or young adult grand children.

Since you were taken aback by this advice I assume that you have a cordial relationship with her otherwise. I would take it as well intended, but perhaps misplaced. I find most young adults would rather have an open discussion on these issues and exchange opinions even if there is disagreement rather than be given "pointers."