What are your favorite spices to flavor your food?

Options
Barring salt, what are your favorite spices when you cook? This goes for veggies, meat etc. I use a lot of cardamon, curry, cumin in my dishes. I also use balsamic vinegar (from the culinary district) on my dishes.

I love scoping Pinterest for new recipes too.

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Thyne, Rosemary, and Curry are my big three.

ETA: oh, and Basil. All of the Basil.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Garlic.
    Chives, thyme from the garden.
    Hubby is loving a roasted garlic blend I got from the dollar store. Who knew?
    Smoked paprika in lots of things.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Cumin is a big one! I use it all the time. I recently discovered Berbere spice blend - it's Ethiopian and a mixture of a dozen different spices. I add it to my red lentils and it's amazing. I also have a red curry spice blend that is also delicious. I won't eat oatmeal unless I add cinnamon.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Depends on the dish.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I eat this on pretty much anything.

i1b18vqd1b2c.gif
    0.gif 84.4K
  • Annamarie3404
    Annamarie3404 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I'm always looking to make food taste a little different each time.
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    All of them plus bacon.
  • hellonew2015
    hellonew2015 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Perfect Pinch Mexican - Good on Chicken and Beef
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Garlic, black pepper and cayenne pepper would be my most used spices. But I use a great variety of spices and fresh herbs when cooking.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Smoked paprika
    Chili
    Lime
    Garlic
    Cinnamon
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    This really is pretty loaded for me...I cook a lot and like experimenting with all kinds of recipes and particularly like trying my hand at various ethnic cuisines from around the world so I have a pretty loaded spice rack...err cabinet.

For my sort of day to day stuff though I'd say I use garlic often...and mostly salt and black pepper...I also use red chile powder often as well as cayenne...and paprika seems to make it into a lot of things.

ETA: forgot about cumin and curry powder...and garlic powder and onion powder...

Too many....
  • ECTexan
    ECTexan Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    My favorites are rosemary, pepper, and garlic. Salt would be number one, though, if I were allowed to pick that.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Dried- cumin, coriander, paprika, fennel seeds, cinnamon, oregano, chilli flakes
    Fresh - garlic, rosemary, coriander, basil, thyme, chilli
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    Berbere is awesome and is my lazy spice. How do I want to flavor this fish, eggs, chicken, veggies? Eh, I'm hungry just throw some berbere on it and Yum!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Garlic, Black Pepper (use this a lot in stead of salt), Tony's Chacheres, low Sodium Lawrey's

Others: thyme, cumin, paprika, Italian seasoning, chili, chipolte, red pepper flakes.. no rosemary and ginger.. hate these
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I use a lot of fresh basil and rosemary since I have those in the garden, and garlic. I actually don't even think of garlic as a spice because I love it so much it might as well be it's own food group!

Dry: black pepper, cayenne pepper, smoked paprika, and the "21 Seasoning Salute" from Trader Joes. Also, lemon pepper for seafood.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Garlic, onion powder - I have a jar of both of these that are the toasted variety and provide a lot of flavor
    Shichimi togarashi - tastes great on eggs!
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    cumin, coriander, ginger, curry, crushed red pepper, oregano
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Penzey's Ruth Ann's Muskego Ave. blend
    Garlic
    Dill
    Paprika
    Penzey's Bonne Herbes