July (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    5512bf wrote: »
    @MobyCarp

You are the exception. Everyone I've trained with locally has gong showed their first marathon.

That may explain why every runner I knew seemed overly impressed that I BQ'd at my first marathon. Well, except for the running buddies who pushed me into it and told me in advance that I was going to BQ. One of them BQ'd in his first marathon, but I believe he worked rather hard to do so.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    jennzornm wrote: »
    I used to run frequently and would like to get the motivation to start running again. I have missed the July Challenge, and was wondering if you will be Starting another Challenge in August?

There will be a new thread posted in the Current & Past Challenges Discussion in the group's page. :smile:

I will also post the thread for August right here. Look for it some time Friday.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow the plan called for Tempo Intervals....Just not feeling it. Thinking I'm going to do a 40 minute Steady State Run with 15 min warm up and cooldown...plan subject to change depending on how I feel in the morning.

First time trying a steady state run. McMillan gives me a pace range of 9:08-9:32...

....9:08 is 2:00:00 HM pace......not that I think I can maintain that for more than a little while.... 9:32 is 2:05:00 HM pace.....could be interesting tomorrow.... farthest I'll run with that pace range is 4.4 miles at SSR pace, pluse whatever I get in during warm up/cool down.

...Ah...My random running thoughts.
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn - A sub-2 HM is my next running goal, too. My last HM was 2:03 so I'm close! I have two HM in September but with the knee issues I'm having, I won't attempt the sub-2 until later this year.
    @Elise4270 - Hope your upcoming appointment goes well - September is coming up!
    @katharmonic - Great job on hitting your goal!
    @RespectTheKitty - Congrats on your distance PR! You'll definitely be able to up your goal for next month.

Great job to everyone hitting their goals for August! I'm bowing out for the rest of the month - going to give my body a full week or two of no running (it's only been 2 days and I'm already itching to get outside). My knees aren't getting any better and I don't want to push it.

In the mean time I'm walking a lot, doing hip strengthening exercises, full body stretches and barre class.

Final miles for August: 68/90

So my question is, after the week or two of no running, how slowly do I add miles back? Can I just get right back into running a 20 mile week and then work my way up to 30? Or should I start even more conservatively than that? My next HM is September 10th so I have some time, I just don't want to lose too much fitness.
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    @Somebody_Loved I would go by how you feel when you start back up again.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @sombody_loved my last (and only) HM was 2:15. I have another HM in 8 weeks. I've run Long Runs out to 14 miles faster than 2:15 HM pace, 14 miler was at 2:05 HM pace, so I'm hoping for a solid HM but don't think ill be at 2:00 pace yet

also, ease back into the running, no sense risking injury coming back. I'd say run maybe 50%_75% max mileage to start out and build up.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @Somebody_Loved I had a thread over on the main group page titled "Rebuilding after a setback" if you want to read the advice I was given :) It was in April or May so scroll back to find it. I can't copy and paste a thread link from my phone for some reason.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @orphia - What a beautiful area!
    @kristinegift - I thought you were in your new apartment? I also initially thought you were herding your housemates like geese until I re-read your post more carefully :)
    @ddmom0811 - Congrats on hitting your goal especially with all the traveling you did this month!
    @TattooedDolphinGirl78 It was my first month this month so no last month target.

I stand by what I said, 57-58km for the month is nothing to be ashamed of. Next month will be your month to beat this month's total and reach the goal you set for yourself. :smiley:
    @sara_bear84 - We set our goals to challenge ourselves to get out there and run. You definitely did that and I think your month was a win even though you didn't hit the random number you set for yourself. Every single one of us have had at least one month where we haven't hit our goal. You just move on, set a new goal for the next month and do your best to get out there and reach it.

@TattooedDolphinGirl78 - Congratulations on hitting your goal early too!
    @Elise4270 - I'll have those 10 miles for you too on Friday! I hope the doctor has great news for you on Monday!
    @katharmonic - where do you live? When I read your posts it sounds like where I am running...
    @RespectTheKitty - Congratulations on the distance PR!
    @AdrianChr92 - I'm sorry your run was such a slog! It really sounds tough. You might try putting your ipod in a ziplock with some uncooked white rice. It can help to draw the moisture out and may get it to work again. I was able to do it with one of mine a while back.

I got out late and it was hot and oh so humid!

Date.........Miles........Total
    07/01.......6.28.........6.28
    07/02.......7.36.......13.64
    07/03.......0.00.......13.64
    07/04.....13.50.......27.14 - ShePower Virtual HM
    07/05.......4.13.......31.27 - + Strength Training
    07/06.......0.00.......31.27
    07/07.......5.63.......36.90 - + Strength Training & Rally
    07/08.......5.38.......42.28
    07/09.......0.00.......42.28
    07/10.......0.00.......42.28
    07/11.......7.72.......50.00 - + Agility
    07/12.......5.59.......55.59 - + Strength Training
    07/13.......0.00.......55.59
    07/14.......5.72.......61.31 - + Strength Training & Rally
    07/15.......5.38.......66.69
    07/16.....13.39.......80.08
    07/17.......2.00.......82.08 - Dog Beach!
    07/18.......4.37.......86.45 - + Agility
    07/19.......3.74.......90.19 - + Strength Training
    07/20.......0.00.......90.19 - Rest day
    07/21.......4.29.......94.48 - + Strength Training & Rally
    07/22.......0.00.......94.48
    07/23.......6.83.....101.31 - GOAL!
    07/24.......0.00.....101.31 - Dog Beach (Vizsla) family reunion
    07/25.......4.22.....105.53 - + Agility (this was like running intervals in 80F and 90% humidity)
    07/26.......0.00.....105.53 - Rest day/Taper
    07/27.......4.22.....109.75
    07/28.......0.00.....109.75 - Rest day/Taper

exercise.png

Upcoming Races - Let me know if you will be running too!
    07/04/16 - SHEPower Virtual Half Marathon
    07/31/16 - San Francisco 2nd Half Marathon
    09/18/16 - Beat the Blerch Half Marathon, Seattle
    11/19/16 - USA Invitational Half Marathon (Yay, I qualified again!)
    12/18/16 - San Diego Holiday Half Marathon
    02/05/17 - Surf City Half Marathon
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @adrianchr92 sorry about the humidity it's always a killer when the rain stops and the sun comes out. You are like the 3rd person this week that mentioned death by sweat of a shuffle. Good luck finding a reasonably priced waterproof one online.

So today Skip and I spent well over 2 hours at http://physioworkshsv.com/ having Skip assessed. This was strictly from an injury prevention view. I wanted to have Skip evaluated to make sure there weren't things in her running form or weaknesses in her muscles/body etc that would cause her to get hurt. He did an assessment of her body from top to bottom, did a running assessment with videos and a treadmill and gave her exercises to work on area that he saw she was weak. Some of the testing he did was specifically on her achilles area since it is the one place she has had a injury that needed doctor care. It was quite an eye opener. He did an amazing job of explaining everything dumbed down to my level and to Skip's.

He is sending me everything in a report, but he did give her a few exercises to help with her glutes (which are weak) and her hip flexors (which are really tight). He was like holy crap she has some strong quads LOL He also saw a few little things he wants her to work on that will help her running. She tends to put her feet down in a small space, it's hard to explain without seeing it but when she's running her feet are actually lined up almost even front to back so she needs to move her back leg around the front when she steps forward. He told her how to fix that. I told him I thought she heel struck with one foot and mid foot struck with the other. Turns out she sure does.

Like I said it was so interesting. Now to see if I can get insurance to pay for it LOL

@stoshew71 I know the hill you are talking about, I think I might die on that hill LOL
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - wow, that sounds great! Great idea, especially since she is so young and wants to keep running for school. Keep her healthy!
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @shanaber - I live in upstate/central NY. How about you?

@skippygirlsmom that evaluation sounds so interesting and helpful. Great idea for young athletes, and really anyone. I'd love to have that kind of information and advice.

@RespectTheKitty great job on your distance PR! 5 miles was a huge goal for me, and it felt so good to accomplish that.

Good running today everyone. Even if it was a slog.
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    5512bf wrote: »
    @MobyCarp

You are the exception. Everyone I've trained with locally has gong showed their first marathon.

That may explain why every runner I knew seemed overly impressed that I BQ'd at my first marathon. Well, except for the running buddies who pushed me into it and told me in advance that I was going to BQ. One of them BQ'd in his first marathon, but I believe he worked rather hard to do so.

I practically had to sell my soul to the devil for my BQ in May. Still, I think my first marathon (4:47 while I still weighed 210lb) two years prior may have been the more impressive performance. @Stoshew71 - given I had a 3:29 in January in icky conditions before I ran a 3:08 in May (w. similar levels of conditioning/mileage on a much hillier course), you may want to consider adding a second full to the calendar if it is your main goal at the moment.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @kristinegift - I thought you were in your new apartment? I also initially thought you were herding your housemates like geese until I re-read your post more carefully :)

I am in my new place, but it's only a 2 month sublet (July through August). At my old place I had a private bathroom, and I didn't truly appreciate it until I went from 1:1 bathroom ratio to a 1:5 (and sometimes 6) bathroom ratio. Hoping my next place (likely another house share, though hopefully one with carpet instead of hardwood floors so I can sleep through the night!) has a more favorable bathroom to occupant ratio!
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options

So my question is, after the week or two of no running, how slowly do I add miles back? Can I just get right back into running a 20 mile week and then work my way up to 30? Or should I start even more conservatively than that? My next HM is September 10th so I have some time, I just don't want to lose too much fitness.

If it is just a week, I think you'd be fine at the same level, if not a small increase as you only lose about 2% of your fitness and will be well rested. Two, and I'd cut back a mile or two in total. I do a ton of cross training for my ironman plans, but it isn't unusual for me to do a 50 mile week, 55 Mile week, 60 mile week, step back to 30 miles, then do another 55 mile week.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - how great is that! I would love to have an evaluation like that for me!
    @katharmonic - ha! I am all the way on the other coast in So California
    @kristinegift - I had no idea. I thought you were in a separate apartment all your own. I hope you find another place with a better ratio or better yet your own bathroom again!
  • djspacecaptain
    djspacecaptain Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    7/27: 7 miles (3 mile jog, 1 mile walk, 3 mile high incline treadmill)

monthly total: 162.75/140 miles
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    July goal.....run

7/1 snorkel 4 hours
    7/2 7.53
    7/3 3.23
    7/4 3.29
    7/5 rest
    7/6 4.39
    7/7 3.25
    7/8 7.24
    7/9 celebrated our 40th anniversary!
    7/10 3.85
    7/11 tapering I guess...
    7/12 4.15
    7/13 off
    7/14 off
    7/15 3.20
    7/16 HonuNui and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
    7/17 taper, Music Man, Thai food and friends
    7/18 13.2
    7/19 snorkel 4 hours
    7/20 unmotivated
    7/21 3.30 looked in mirror---got motivated
    7/22 4.3
    7/23 hunkering down for Darby
    7/24 4.53
    7/25 3.26
    7/26 rest
    7/27 3.33

Total 73.05

Upcoming races:
    SHEPower Virtual Half: July 18
    Las Vegas RocknRoll Virtual 5k runs--making the band
    ......Guitar Solo 6/28 3.85
    ......Drum Solo 7/21
    ......Lead Singer in August or September
    Las Vegas RocknRoll Half 11/13/16

Ticker is my goal for 2016 and accumulation to date:
    exercise.png
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @Orphia: Somehow I completely missed the wattle behind you! I lived in Australia for six months when I was at university. I studied at UNE. My classes were in things like computer networking, business law, and web design, but my "fun class" was a study of the flora and fauna of Australia that included a lengthy paper about wattles - a collection of several different kinds, an experiment on sprouting seeds, etc. I managed to get most of the project back through customs on my way home (they confiscated some of the samples, but let me take most of it through). I traveled through all of your states and territories (with the exception of WA) at one point or another. I took my parents down for a 3-week visit in 2008. I've been trying to figure out how to move back down there over the past 12 years. I should have just stayed there to finish uni - that would have been the smart thing to do. I have good friends that I still frequently talk to/Skype with friends who live in Crookwell, Bathurst, Byron Bay, and Muswellbrook in NSW, and one in Canberra. I plan on heading back down under either 2017-18 or 2018-19. I sincerely miss it - it is so diverse, and beautiful, and your political and social ideals are so much better than those in the US (in my opinion). Plus, your weather is so much closer to what I like than what it is here...even all the way down where you are - I hate Pennsylvania winters! :smile:

@instantmartian Wow, this is great! You've seen more states in my country than I have!

I'm impressed by your university subjects! A wonderful selection.

@TattooedDolphinGirl78 Bravo on reaching your goal!

@Elise4270 I've been meaning to say that I love how you're supporting us and participating even though you're not able to run. :heart: You rock.

@RespectTheKitty Woo hoo! Yay for your distance PB!

@katharmonic Wow, that's brilliant! I'm hoping to do 100 miles next month. Yay you!

2 July – 5 km parkrun alongside my niece
    3 July – 10 km
    5 July – 10 km
    7 July – 10 km
    8 July – 5.6 km & Body Balance
    9 July – 13.6 km & 10 km PB
    11 July – 10 km
    15 July – 3.7 km
    16 July – 5.1 km parkrun
    18 July – 9.1 km
    20 July – 10 km
    23 July – 5.1 km parkrun
    24 July – 17 km
    26 July – 12.1 km
    28 July – 10 km

July Goal: 150 km (93 miles)
    Total: 136.3 km (84.7 miles)

This morning's 10 km was in drizzle, and my stomach felt a bit heavy. But 10 km is 10 km and I'm happy!

Plus, I'm now on holiday till Monday 8 August. Not much planned other than run and relax, and maybe some chores if I get bored. Lovely.
  • Mathsrunner
    Mathsrunner Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    1/7: 4.5 Miles
    3/7: 8.1 Miles
    5/7: 6.5 Miles
    7/7: 6.3 Miles
    9/7: 9.0 Miles
    11/7: 5.1 Miles
    13/7: 6.3 Miles
    15/7: 5.1 Miles
    17/5: 5.1 Miles
    20/7: 3.7 Miles
    22/7: 6.6 Miles
    25/7: 3.7 Miles
    27/7: 3.7 Miles

exercise.png
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @skippygirlsmom - how great is that! I would love to have an evaluation like that for me!
    @katharmonic - ha! I am all the way on the other coast in So California
    @kristinegift - I had no idea. I thought you were in a separate apartment all your own. I hope you find another place with a better ratio or better yet your own bathroom again!

@shanaber Thanks! A running friend of mine has a ton of rooms opening in her house, and there's a better bathroom ratio there (1 bathroom for 4 people plus an extra toilet!). Plus there'd be at least one person in the house who doesn't think I'm a nut for getting up at 5 am or earlier most days to run :D