July (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn: Thanks. The coffee maker I use several times per week has a timer on it (on days I'm not using that, I'm using my French press). Unfortunately, it takes me at least an hour to wake up in the mornings. I am an absolute mess otherwise. I think what I need to try to do is wake up, put running attire on, and head out the door before my brain completely understands what is going on, but the prospect of running at 5am is just so completely unappealing to me especially since the idea of simply being awake at that hour is saddening. It's all in my head. I'm working on trying to change my outlook. If only I had my father's love for mornings...
    For me, it's not so much "being awake" that's the issue; but it also takes me 45min or so after stumbling out of bed before I can head out for a run. This is probably TMI, but... after I move around for 30-45 min, I'm ready for bathroom visit #2 - skipping that and heading out of the door right after getting up makes for a lot of discomfort early into the run, and I don't have any public toilets near any of my running routes. So going for a run at 5am would mean getting up at 4:15 :/ Am I the only one who has problem, or is there some clever workaround?
    @_nikkiwolf_
    That's what my warmup is for. I'd bet if I looked at my garmin data 75% of my runs start with a half mile loop around the block then 3-4 minutes of "recovery"
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    5512bf wrote: »
    @MNLittleFinn: Thanks. The coffee maker I use several times per week has a timer on it (on days I'm not using that, I'm using my French press). Unfortunately, it takes me at least an hour to wake up in the mornings. I am an absolute mess otherwise. I think what I need to try to do is wake up, put running attire on, and head out the door before my brain completely understands what is going on, but the prospect of running at 5am is just so completely unappealing to me especially since the idea of simply being awake at that hour is saddening. It's all in my head. I'm working on trying to change my outlook. If only I had my father's love for mornings...
    For me, it's not so much "being awake" that's the issue; but it also takes me 45min or so after stumbling out of bed before I can head out for a run. This is probably TMI, but... after I move around for 30-45 min, I'm ready for bathroom visit #2 - skipping that and heading out of the door right after getting up makes for a lot of discomfort early into the run, and I don't have any public toilets near any of my running routes. So going for a run at 5am would mean getting up at 4:15 :/ Am I the only one who has problem, or is there some clever workaround?

That's what my warmup is for. I'd bet if I looked at my garmin data 75% of my runs start with a half mile loop around the block then 3-4 minutes of "recovery"
    Thanks for the suggestion, that actally didn't occur to me yet! Might be doable... I live on the seventh floor, so either I cheat and take the elevator, or the recovery :D break will steal a little more time. Unless I turn the stairs into an extra "hill sprint" training, but I guess my neighbours might object to the noise. And somehow, it seems weird to go home and then leave again, but I'll have to give that a try!
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I'm not patient enough to wait for nature, so I speed up the process with gravity. Since we have a half bath right off the garage entrance I doubt my wife even knows I've come back

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ you need to find an empty lot or something at mile 1. :smile: I set my alarm 30 mins before I need t get up and then like @5512bf said let gravity work, I sit on the pot and look at my Facebook LOL. Probably more than we ever needed to know about pooping: http://www.runnersworld.com/health/how-to-make-yourself-poop/slide/6 Just know you are not alone
    @instantmartian I try not to let my head know I'm awake until I'm a 1/4 mile from the house
    @adrianchr92 love the new shoes
    @5512bf I like to run in the light rain as long as it's not cold
    @greenolivetree did you hurt your calf? My right calf is bigger than my left. I notice it the most with some of my jeans are tighter in one calf than the other.
    @karllundy and @ddmom0811 you two excel at cross training, biking, running, spinning, weights, love it!
    @stoshew71 your ticker is drunk tell it to go home. Tell it to catch up
    @MNlittlefinn sure blame the run on the little man
    @shanaber glad the knee is feeling better

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom you bet I will ;)
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options

Yeah, starting a few months back, they were blocking the ticker site from work. So if I want to update it, I have to go over on my phone. They block strava starting last month (Reason: social media). Yet facebook is wide open. Go figure.

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

Yeah, starting a few months back, they were blocking the ticker site from work. So if I want to update it, I have to go over on my phone. They block strava starting last month (Reason: social media). Yet facebook is wide open. Go figure.

We have the same stupid stuff here. I can get on facebook/twitter/everything else but you can't check your gmail account.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom My calf has been sore all month then got worse this week. My right leg does feel larger in jeans :) But hubby never commented before. I've been icing it just in case.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @ohhim - Not sure why you want to come back down to this heat!

@shanaber - glad it feels better today. I have some wireless headphones I bought one year ago and I love them. They are these: https://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDRAS600BT-Active-Bluetooth-Headset/dp/B00TA4HRC6
    I remember I bought them last July when I was moving my daughter into her apt in NYC because my wired ones were driving me crazy. I didn't pay that much for them but it was a store in the city. It took me a few weeks to get used to them. There are 2 inserts you can use for the size of your ear and I kept adjusting that back and forth until I got it to work. Second, at first I had them in too far or something and I could hear each footstep or something weird. When I run at 4:30 in the dark I stick one in my sports bra so that I can hear any noises around me.

@_nikkiwolf_ - lol, yes I think most people have had similar issues. I seem to go through times where I need to run a mile then go home, do my business, and then go out again. I need to read @skippygirlsmom's article.

• 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    I have a question on headphones for the group - does anyone run with wireless headphones or have you tried them and how did they workout? Any experience with Jaybird headphones? They are a bit pricier than I typically spend but there is an Expo discount and a runners discount this weekend...
    I use these: Avantree Jogger Bluetooth Headphones, and they've been great. I don't use the foam earpads, but they stay on very well, and the volume is good. I usually do podcasts, so I can't say whether the audio quality is superb, but it's better-than-acceptable. And when I've had an issue (wouldn't recharge or come on), they replaced it even tho I had the pair for several months. Good equipment and good company behind it.
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    3 easy miles today because I am exhausted. 13 minute pace.
    Bowled 4 games yesterday and I have a tournament tonight. I am going to be one pooped puppy for my planned long walk tomorrow.
    Isn't that "done-for kitteh" for "pooped puppy"?
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    @instantmartian Yeah, the goal is to eventually make my way back down to the 1:1 bathroom ratio. Oh to live alone... and to make enough money to live alone... :D
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    https://rampagerun.org/

My new workplace has a team getting put together...That day is supposed to be a long run day....looks like I'll be sneaking in 8-10 miles before the race if I do it.....
  • djspacecaptain
    djspacecaptain Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    7/29: 9 miles (5 mile jog, 1 mile walk, 3 mile high incline treadmill)

Monthly total: 174.75/140 miles
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,392 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ - Skoras aren't sold in any stores. You can only purchase them online from the company or I have found them on Amazon. I was looking for Alternatives to Altras and Skora came up on the search for zero drop minimalist shoes. They had a great return policy so I figured I would try them out. I now have 2 pairs and my older pair has almost 800 miles on them. I can continue to run in them and will but the upper is starting to tear a bit.
    @ddmom0811 and @_nikkiwolf_ - thanks for the headphone info. I will check them out.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I did a bit of shopping myself. It's been so hot, and my long runs are getting longer, so I need to figure out a way to take more water with me. I like my belt with a 500ml bottle at the back, but one bottle just isn't doing the trick anymore. I ordered a hydration backpack for a large water bladder and a vest with two large bottles at the back; I was really excited that the shipment arrived today, because I want to test them on a shorter run on Saturday before going on a long run with one of them on Sunday. Doesn't look like that will happen, though - after trying them on and jogging around a bit inside the apartment, I can already tell that the bottles on the vest sit too far outside for me, I keep brushing them with my arms. That one's going to be sent back for sure.
    The hydration back is super-confortable. Alas, it came without the hydration bladder! Maybe I'll try it anyway, with a regular bottle stuffed in there instead, to see how it feels to run with the weight on my back...

Interesting. I ordered this Camebak Ultra 4 vest/bladder with bottle holder recently.

46707f5c0862243e0900a5c222b4d013.jpg

http://theactive.com.au/camerbak-hydation-amp-packs/camelbak-ultra-4--2l--electric-blue/poseidon

It hasn't arrived yet, so I'm hoping it's comfortable. Would love to hear what other runners here use.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Interesting. I ordered this Camebak Ultra 4 vest/bladder with bottle holder recently.

It hasn't arrived yet, so I'm hoping it's comfortable. Would love to hear what other runners here use.

I have a cheep Walmart (cheep store/20UDS) hydration pack. I don't run with it, but am also interested in what works for running. I just use mine for "hiking" aka long walks in the thick, and anticipate using it for cycling.

Edit. I did find one that interested me specifically for women. I can't remember what it was now....

http://www.runnersworld.com/ask-coach-jenny/how-to-choose-an-ultrarunning-hydration-pack
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @Orphia That's a great 5k time!
  • FrankieandSpots
    FrankieandSpots Posts: 446 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    July 2nd - 8.5km (6:37 min/km... 162bpm)
    July 3rd - 3km (5:23min/km...180bpm)

July 4th - .5km (actually 5x110m sprint, then walk back: fastest 3:11pace, slowest 3:25pace)
    July 6th - 4.5km (6:38min/km... 160bpm)
    July 7th - 8.5km (6:40 pace, 172bpm) Back at my hometown - along the ridge rd (Hilly)
    July 9th - 5km Parkrun (watch said 4.92; course is different: 5:18 pace, 181bpm)

July 15th - 22km (6:54 pace, 166bpm)

July 19th - 3.5km (6:45min/km, 168bpm)
    July 20th - 5km (6:24min/km, 166bpm)

July 25th - 5km (6:19min/km, 165bpm)
    July 26th - 4.5km (6:14min/km, 168bpm)
    July 27th - 1.5km (120mx10 plus warmup) (3.17-3.34 pace)
    July 28th - 10.3km (and then my garmin just randomly lost it before my run finished so I never got the data from it!. A bit under 7min/km I think and HR seemed high for the speed... high 160's?)
    July 30th - 5km Parkrun (5:53min/km, 177bpm)

86.8/100km

Only going to try to reach 90km for the month - work on getting 100km in August.
    Lets feeling a little fried - from the sprints Wednesday I think but following that up with a long run probably didn't help.
    And I got an email back from some people who organise this really cool (hard, too hard for me) trail run near me and I get to run some sections to go out and mark the trails!!! Its going to be awesome!