Not exactly discouraged...more like tired.

Options
I've been dieting since Jan 1. I've lost about 48 pounds. This is good, and I'm happy. But I am also...just tired. I'm so sick of not being able to eat when I want to. I'm sick of wearing three or four things all the time because I don't want to spend money on a wardrobe that, hopefully, will be too big in six months. I'm tired of working out, over and over, day in and day out.

This isn't a good mindset to have when I still need to lose 50 pounds. How do you keep yourself going when you're just bored with it all?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,987 Member
    Options
    Why not give yourself a little "diet break"? You've done really well, and you know how to do it now. Do you think you could ease up on one day a week, or maybe just take a couple weeks and eat at Maintenance?

I get it, I do. I've been losing the last ten pounds for a couple months now and there have been many days I just can't stick with it. Progress, not perfection. :)
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    After I lost 50 lbs, I found I needed to make new challenges to stick to the weight loss. I learned new ways of cooking or forced myself to try new vegetables every week. I made a vegan meal per week. I had meatless mondays. I learned how to make "raw" dinners. Anything to keep excited about new foods and engaged in the process.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Try to find some clothes that fit on clearance, maybe. July is a good time for good deals. It will make an amazing difference to have your clothes fit. You'll get compliments galore - right now, people probably can't tell so much about your weight loss if you're wearing baggy clothes. :)
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I was about halfway to my goal when I suffered a major illness. As part of treating the illness, I bumped up my calorie goal by 200 calories per day-- which still had me at a deficit, but not as fast of a loss rate. I found that after being used to eating so much less that extra 1400 calories per week REALLY freed me up for some treats and different choices. After the 6 weeks it took me to recover from the illness, I decided to keep the extra 200 calories, and just settled on not losing as fast. It made the difference between constantly feeling like I was "ON A DIET" and feeling like I was transitioning to a more healthy lifestyle.
  • lisalewis7588
    lisalewis7588 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Congrats! 48 lbs is amazing. Drop back to maintenance for 1-2 weeks as said above. You'll feel better! Continue logging (you don't want to gain!) but give yourself a little break. As far as clothes go... do you have good thrift stores in your area? I do most of my shopping (for shirts, anyway) at thrift stores and usually get nice tops for $1-3 each. I have not been so lucky in the pants department, but you could at least get a few things for cheap that you won't feel bad about donating back in six months.
  • aquablue_1111
    aquablue_1111 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    OP - You made it longer than I. I started in Jan too and by early May, I was 'done' mentally. I've been eating at maintenance for 2 months and it's helped me. I've actually started back into a deficit again since I feel refreshed now.

I also second the suggestion of buying a few things that fit better, if that's possible.

By the way, awesome job on the weight loss!
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I have been in a steep deficit since February 1st and have lost 78 pounds so I understand how you're feeling. I waffle every day between wanting to take a diet break and wanting to keep the momentum going in a deficit. I understand the mental and physical benefits of "breaking" every few months but to be honest, I know I would struggle seeing the initial water weight gain if I were to increase my calories. Even though I know if I eat at maintenance or even just less of a deficit it's not fat gain, I know that number will affect me. I'm used to my daily fluctuations but that unknown number is more difficult to accept.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I hit the same wall. I'm currently eating at maintenance and plan to return to my deficit when I feel up to it. I've been eating at maintenance for about a month. I may keep it this way through the summer, and then drop back down. Haven't decided yet.
  • BellaSOUL11
    BellaSOUL11 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    That is great! 48lbs. Kudos to you.

The motivation to keep going varies. For me, watching videos of people working out, going online to "window shop" and seeing women in clothing I WANT to wear, and being on here. Reading success stories.

I hope you find the motivation to keep going, even if you take a break. Good luck.
  • juxtapose13
    juxtapose13 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    just wanted to wish you luck on your journey ....u are doing great and you will figure it out
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    AmyWebb2 wrote: »
    I've been dieting since Jan 1. I've lost about 48 pounds. This is good, and I'm happy. But I am also...just tired. I'm so sick of not being able to eat when I want to. I'm sick of wearing three or four things all the time because I don't want to spend money on a wardrobe that, hopefully, will be too big in six months. I'm tired of working out, over and over, day in and day out.

This isn't a good mindset to have when I still need to lose 50 pounds. How do you keep yourself going when you're just bored with it all?

I get bored like every time I lose 30lbs. I am actually going to be the dissenting voice and tell you NOT to take a break. I have always done that to celebrate my weight loss victories when the ennui became to much...and it never had anything good come of it. It always made getting back on track twice as hard and is probably the reason that I stalled my weight loss for over a year with 50lbs left to lose.

I think that you should go and get some new clothes. No one feels good and attractive in clothes that fit 50lbs ago. Yes, you will have more clothes to replace 6 months. Shop somewhere inexpensive like Old Navy or Penny's when they have a good sale. Even a thrift store. It's hard to feel good when you don't think you look good.

Maybe also try cycling in some different foods. I know that I tend to eat the same boring things over and over because it's easy. Find some new foods to swap into your diet. You got this. Don't give up.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,985 Member
    Options

I get bored like every time I lose 30lbs. I am actually going to be the dissenting voice and tell you NOT to take a break. I have always done that to celebrate my weight loss victories when the ennui became to much...and it never had anything good come of it. It always made getting back on track twice as hard and is probably the reason that I stalled my weight loss for over a year with 50lbs left to lose.

I think that you should go and get some new clothes. No one feels good and attractive in clothes that fit 50lbs ago. Yes, you will have more clothes to replace 6 months. Shop somewhere inexpensive like Old Navy or Penny's when they have a good sale. Even a thrift store. It's hard to feel good when you don't think you look good.

Maybe also try cycling in some different foods. I know that I tend to eat the same boring things over and over because it's easy. Find some new foods to swap into your diet. You got this. Don't give up.

I agree with this. A few new clothes that fit well will really make a difference in how you look and feel. 48 pounds is a lot. I'm not really sure about what you mean when you say you're tired of not being able to eat when you want. Are you only allowing yourself to eat at certain times? Meal timing really doesn't matter as long as you stay at your goal you will continue to lose weight. And maybe look for some new foods to try. I'm kind of a rut eater and I will eat the same things over and over. I did that before I was logging too. It can make the logging easier, but sometimes you just have to try something different. And the same goes for exercising. You have to find things that you enjoy or it will be nothing but a chore. You don't mention what type of workouts you do, but maybe throw in something new like yoga or Pilates? You can do this. Just don't give up!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    OP I've been there! I've been on MFP for 3.5 years and maintaining for 2 now... and it's still a struggle, I'm not going to lie.

What I suggest is to stop forcing yourself to do activities that you don't enjoy. Honestly, if it's a huge drag, you'll never stick to it long term anyway. Find exercise that you enjoy, even if it's just a stroll with your dog...

Also look at your calorie deficit. If it's too hard for you to lose 2 pounds a week, switch to 1 pound a week (which is much more realistic IMO with 50 pounds to lose).

And make sure to eat delicious foods within your calories.

I don't agree at all about taking a break though. I was 2 pounds away from my goal and never actually reached it because I did - I got hungrier and just haven't been able to get in the mindset of losing again - and it's been 2 years now. Not a huge deal at all for me as I'm happy enough with my weight now, but most people I know who lost a bit and 'took a break' ended up regaining most of it... It's hard enough to get in the mindset of losing weight the first time, having to make that decision again is even tougher when you get used to eating more food again... Seriously, don't do it.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options

Time for a change then! What are you currently doing? Once I start to get bored or not looking forward to a workout it's time to change things up.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Take a couple weeks at maintenance, and find some new sport to try! I believe a person should love working out. If you don't, you're doing the wrong things. There's nothing wrong with taking a break and eating at maintenance for a couple weeks. What's the worst that could happen? You reach your goal two weeks later! Not the end of the world. You must just be cautious that you don't just quit all together though.

I've been at this since Sep 1/15. I've really only taken one real break week. However, I have a week vacation in July and two weeks in August and I plan for maintenance at those times. I want to enjoy my vacation without feeling like I'm going backwards, and I think using maintenance numbers will be a good "trial run".

Good luck!