Two Weeks Off - UGH! Dreading This

Options
I work out for 1-1/2 to 2 hours daily, pretty much every day. I lift for at least an hour and do 20 to 30-minutes of cardio. Well, this week, we've been preparing to leave for a long getaway that's out of the country (staying on a small yacht, no access to a gym). I planned on going to the gym for two hours Monday through Thursday to get those last-minute work outs in, but it turns out, my final day was Sunday. I can still attempt to get in the gym tonight and tomorrow before we leave, but chances are slim. That puts me at two weeks of no heavy lifting or full work outs. The longest break I've taken since I started lifting (in October) was two days, and that was hard. I eat pretty well, and will probably continue to do so on vacation, aside from an increased alcohol intake. I know I will end up bloating, inevitably, and will probably try to hike, swim and attend yoga classes to combat my anxiety about working out. My main question is - two weeks off, am I going to lose my gains and all progress made?

I have very bad feet (requiring surgery again soon) and everyone says that two weeks off will not only be good for my body, but will be good for my feet as well. I keep trying to tell myself that, but honestly I fear that this is just going to backtrack all of the success I've had fitness-wise thus far. I don't want to be that flabby girl ever again.

Replies

• brigg9
    brigg9 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    First, take a big deep breath. :) It's okay, I understand your anxiety. This is a common and normal feeling. Rest assured, two weeks will not make any significant negative or positive impacts to the progress you have made. If you take your days in moderation, even splurging some to enjoy yourself while on vacation, you'll be okay. There is nothing in your two weeks that cannot be adjusted or corrected when you come back from having fun. Try and enjoy your time off. After a couple of days of getting back to your normal routine you'll see that everything is pretty much where you left off - stamina, strength, etc.

The idea of taking a short deviation from your normal routine is the worst of anything that will happen. Take it in moderation and enjoy your time away from your normal life. :)
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I totally understand how you feel. I had a medical procedure last Wednesday and I knew I would be out just a week and I was working out and taking as many classes as I could up to the last minute. I'm addicted. It's just who I am. But put it in perspective two weeks is not going to derail all the hard work you've put in. You're staying on a yacht! Enjoy it and get right back to your normal routine when you return. Tonight will be my first night back and obviously I'm looking forward to it. Lol.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I think it will be good for you both physically and mentally. Breaks will happen, whether because of injuries, vacations, or just wanting a break now and then. I think having 2 weeks off and realizing the world doesn't come crashing down and you can get back into it will help you feel better overall, and will help your anxiety the next time something like this comes up.

I had surgery on June 9 and hadn't been able to work out until yesterday, and won't be able to resume running and cardio until next week. It's not ideal and I'm sure the first couple times back will hurt more than usual, but you won't undo all of your progress in just a couple weeks. I had to sit out almost 7 weeks after surgery last year and sure, the first week back hurt, but that's really all it took and I was back to normal.

You'll be fine! Most importantly, enjoy your vacation! Breaks are good sometimes. :)
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    The fitter you are, the more quickly you go back to being fit when you take time off.

Your body will do great things with a little rest. Try to relax. :)
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    You may be surprised that your gainz will not go anywhere. In fact maybe you are stronger because of the down time to allow your mind and body time to rest and repair. If anything the first 2-3 sessions may be just a little under par but you should find that you are stronger. Try to keep that diet in check... its ok to indulge some on vacation but just dont go bat $h!t crazy. The hiking and Yoga will do you much good... a good way to relieve the mind. Hope all goes well and remember... its vacation. This is the time to rest and recharge that mind.
  • jcow84
    jcow84 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I understand how you feel, too. Last year I had to take a month off of working out (illness and then a vacation), but I just watched what I ate and didn't lose any ground. I tried to limit my indulgences to dinner time to help stop overeating. Right now I have to take 10 days off of intense exercising due to dental surgery, and I'm not going to go back to the gym early because based on my past experience, I know I really can't mess up all my hard work by missing just one week. I have the rest of my life to keep working out, as do you! Enjoy your vacation!
  • Idle_Moon
    Idle_Moon Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your break!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your break, it'll do your body good to have a break from lifting, its essential to help with muscle growth that we take breaks.

I do understand why your are anxious though, sometimes we think if we take a break then we'll not get back at it again or we'll lose muscle tone. (We don't lose muscle in a short space of time btw)

If you're on a yacht you'll be active anyway so just enjoy the break as your routine will be back to normal when you get back :smile:
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I just took my first break from working out in two years while on vacation (12 days). I usually workout 2-3 hours a day six days a week. The break was nice and while I really do think it was good for my body overall i'll be honest the first week back in the gym was HARD. It was a struggle to even hit moderate percentages (75% or less) of my 1 rep maxes for reps. Enjoy vacation and the rest but just be prepared it could be a little rough your first week or two back.
  • michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    sllm1 wrote: »
    The fitter you are, the more quickly you go back to being fit when you take time off.

Your body will do great things with a little rest. Try to relax. :)

^This. You already noted plans to hike, swim, yoga etc. You don't seem to be the type of person to ruin all the hard work you have put in to being healthy by going "overboard-lol" or doing nothing. Change does a body good as does a mental vacation and time to de-stress! You may come back with more gusto and vigor!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Firstly - how cool! Have fun!

It will be fine. I lost 6 weeks due to surgery (did absolutely nothing for 3 weeks and then 3 weeks of light cardio) and although it took maybe 3 good weeks to get back to where I was strength wise, I didn't gain an ounce during my break b/c I was good with my diet.

You will be fine! Enjoy!
  • _piaffe
    _piaffe Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    To be honest, this would stress me out too. I hear what everyone is saying and agree - of course you will benefit from the break. And it is short. But my anxiety is largely managed through exercise, so I'd have a plan in place. In your shoes ("in the same boat"... Ha), I'd probably have a few favourite YouTube videos to do daily. Pilates, body strength training. I'd also have my resistance band. I do this with hotels, too. No matter how tight the space, I make it work.
  • mylittlerainbow
    mylittlerainbow Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    You do lose muscle tone quickly, BUT it comes back very fast, too, once you are able to start working out again. Maybe there are some isometrics or other types of exercise that you can do that won't interfere with your medical procedure. But even if not, two weeks isn't that terribly long a break that you're going to sink back to couch potato status. Good luck with the procedure.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your break and do body weight workouts. Also, you get a vacation...so good for you. I would love one. And I probably need at least a week of from training myself.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I took 14 days off from everything lifting and running back in April. I came back stronger than ever! You won't loose your gainz, strength or fitness.

Yeah you may come back bloated and what not from enjoying eating.. But in a couple of days when you get back you drop this fairly quickly.

Its vacation, so vacate, stay active when you can, come back refreshed better than ever!!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    You do lose muscle tone quickly, BUT it comes back very fast, too, once you are able to start working out again. Maybe there are some isometrics or other types of exercise that you can do that won't interfere with your medical procedure. But even if not, two weeks isn't that terribly long a break that you're going to sink back to couch potato status. Good luck with the procedure.

You do not loose muscle tone quickly. You body does not dip into muscle like you are trying to convey here!
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I'll go on that yacht in your place. That way you can stay home and work out.
    Seriously, go, relax and enjoy an experience that many of us will never have the chance to do.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I just went through this. It was almost 3 weeks because of my half marathon training schedule and my vacation (where I ran the half). My husband kept telling me not to stress out, my muscles weren't going to fall off if I missed a few days at the gym. Well, the first week back I told him he was a big fat liar! I deloaded 20% and it still HURT! The DOMS were almost as bad as when I started. But I Just finished my second week back this morning, and I'm back to my previous max already. And the best part is that it felt great! I think I'll be ready to set some new PRs next week!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    From my experience, You'll be happy to have all the little aches and pains associated with lifting gone, and will bounce back quickly. Swim, paddle board, kayak and have fun!
  • jrwms714
    jrwms714 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Hi - I take 6 weeks off every winter. Not saying that it doesn't make me anxious to be out of the gym during that time, but I have learned to go with the flow. I walk whenever I can and I take a few bands with me for some resistance training. They pack easily and I grab a few minutes here and there to use them. Overall, I don't do as much exercise as I would get at home, but I eat pretty much the same, even occasionally treating myself. I never treat myself to more than one meal a day ... for me, breakfast and lunch are just meals to get through. Sometimes I eat breakfast so late that I find I eat dinner earlier (so, two meals that day) and then maybe have a little snack at night, like yogurt or something. I find that I have been on maintenance for so long that even my treats (I never use the word cheat any more) aren't really all that unhealthy. And I always return home weighing either just what I did when I left or even a bit less. Try to relax and know that you have skills now that you did not have before, if you are on maintenance. You may find that you will not be really doing all that poorly in your food choices. And the gym will be there for you when you get back. Two weeks is not a long time; you will still be fit for cardio and may just have to adjust your weights a bit until you are back to where you were. Above all, enjoy!!!