Too Much?

Options
amyr271
amyr271 Posts: 343 Member
I've just rejoined the gym and therefor have access to weights and cardio machines. I currently follow Cassey Ho's blogilates calendars which are anything from half an hour to an hour long. My question is could I also follow Jamie Eatons livefit 12 week plan (just the workouts, not the diet or supplements) as well as say 20-mins of cardio 5-6 times a week? Would that just be destined to crash and burn or is it doable?

I am fairly clueless when it comes to exercise so any advise is welcome

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Have you exercised a lot before?

I would say Blogilates and Jamie Eaton's program would be enough.

Every one is different, so what works for one may not work for another.

If you are just starting out, I would say pick one form of exercise and just do that. If it gets too easy, and you feel like you could do more, then add something else in.

It does take time to build endurance for a lot of activity - nobody is able to do a lot right off the bat.

You also don't want to do too much too fast and burn out.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I'm not familiar with blogilates or livefit, but generally speaking you don't want to work out the same body parts in the same way 2 days in a row. So if you did an upper body routine on Monday, you wouldn't want to do another one the next day (or even the same day). If you combine a weight workout and a cardio workout same day, I'd then take a rest day the next day.

I split mine up. So I do bodyweight exercises one day, jogging the next, bodyweight, jogging, rinse, wash, repeat. Then I usually take one rest day each week.

Hope that helps?
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    Livefit should be done on its own. It includes cardio in the 5th-12th weeks. The workouts take up to 1 1/2 hours on their own. Adding more on top of that would probably be a recipe for disaster.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    Let your body be your guide. If you are tired after you do what you are doing, rest and do not do it again until you feel fully recovered.

If you workout again before you've allowed your body time to recover, your performance will diminish and you risk various negative physical symptoms and/or injury.
  • amyr271
    Options
    Thanks guy
  • amyr271
    Options
    *guys. So basically play it by ear and if my body tells me I'm doing too much, give it a rest!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Really depends. I wouldn't just jump in and add a bunch of extra exercise now that you have access to a gym. If it's more than your body is used to, that much of a sudden increase could lead to injury. I do a lot of working out, but I eased my way into it over the course of several years.

Your talking about increasing from 30-60 mins to 98 - 128 mins. That's a pretty big jump.
  • need2belean
    need2belean Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I love Jamie Eason's program but when you get to the second and third phase you're working out like 6 days a week. I am one to know that too much exercise is not the way to go. I'm not familiar with the other program but maybe it's best just to stick to one program and actually stick to it or you may burn out.