How to mentally prepare yourself....

Hi everyone! So, I have encountered a problem. I can't seem to get myself mentally prepped for working out. I know it's something I need to start doing, but I really can't. I don't know where or even how to get started. I have read articles, I have written goals, but I haven't been able to get myself geared up. All suggestions are welcome. Thanks for listening!

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Walking is pretty darn easy to start, start there!!
  • BLifts38
    BLifts38 Posts: 248 Member
    I don't mentally prepare... I just get up and do it. don't think about it, just do it.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Shia LaBeouf knows how to help you!

• Antd420
    Antd420 Posts: 161 Member
    Hi everyone! So, I have encountered a problem. I can't seem to get myself mentally prepped for working out. I know it's something I need to start doing, but I really can't. I don't know where or even how to get started. I have read articles, I have written goals, but I haven't been able to get myself geared up. All suggestions are welcome. Thanks for listening!

Ephedrine and Caffeine, you'll have no choice.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Movement is a natural activity. Do you have to "mentally prepare" yourself to eat sleep, go to work, poop?
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Just start simple so it becomes a habit you do without even thinking, like brushing your teeth or making your bed. I started by getting up 20 minutes earlier to walk on my treadmill while I watched TV. 20 minutes was an easy way to start (and about the length of a half-hour TV show on my DVD after I skipped commercials!). Once that became a habit, I increased the time, and once the workouts seemed too "easy" but I couldn't add more time, I added speed and incline.

The biggest obstacle was time. So I made time. The second biggest obstacle was motivation, so I made combined exercise with an activity I enjoy (TV!).

I still get up early to work out every day (except Sunday). But now I run outside 4-10 miles 3 days a week and lift at the gym 3 days a week. And I still watch TV on my treadmill at home - I just do it at night. If I had started with the routine I have now I would have quit in a week. But I spent 2 years creating a habit and finding what I liked (or could at least tolerate!) and now do it all without even thinking about it!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    It's kind of like when you want to jump into the lake, and you stand there at the end of the dock thinking how cold the water will be. When/if you finally get in, you get over it almost immediately and enjoy the experience.
  • Antd420
    Antd420 Posts: 161 Member
    It's kind of like when you want to jump into the lake, and you stand there at the end of the dock thinking how cold the water will be. When/if you finally get in, you get over it almost immediately and enjoy the experience.

Great example, had this feeling a few times.
  • meganmurray217
    meganmurray217 Posts: 19 Member
    When I wake up in the morning I always put my gym on clothes first. Put my headphones in and get in the zone once I'm there!
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Just go. Don't make it a choice.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Like some of the others said, just go. Waiting until you feel like it won't work. We all have to go even when we don't feel like it.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    But I really like what @meganmurray217 said, as soon as I plug into some awesome music it really helps.