Biking pack recommendationns

Options
Rockgod
Rockgod Posts: 24 Member
I ride to work and have a backpack that food all I need change of clothes, laptop, repair kits and tools, etc...
But my back gets soaked worth sweat, especially in high Temps.
Can any one recommend a pack (backpack or messenger) that is easy on the sweat? Maybe with some sort of venting or something?
Thanks

Replies

• pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Get a rear rack or basket and strap your bag on instead.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    US or European market?
  • Rockgod
    Options
    US. But I'm not opposed to ordering from overseas as long as the shipping rates aren't rediculous
  • Rockgod
    Options
    I tried the racks on the back of my mountain bike but didn't like it. Just felt weird riding
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    Second and third a rack. Maybe you just didn't have a good one. I commute 16mi round trip and there is no way in hell I would wear a backpack/bag of any kind. I learned that the first day. I carry my laptop, change of clothes and lunch all either in a panier or basket.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    Also to say....temps are regularly around 110 "feels like" with high humidity when I ride. If you live somewhere cooler it might not be as big a deal for you.
  • CincyNeid
    Options
    This one looks good to me... I've been eyeing it for a little while and thinking of picking it up
    And I'm with you. I won't saddle bag my bike until I start touring. I ride 9.5 miles to work.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,250 Member
    Options
    When I commuted by bicycle, I could use my backpack on my 13.7 km round trip commutes. But when I moved to a new location and my commutes became 70 km round trip, I had to switch to a rack and trunk bag ... the backpack was just too heavy.

• Rockgod
    Options
    That's a good looking, spacious bag at a great price. I was going to get a chrome bag, but didn't want to spend $150+ on a bag.
    My only thought is, will it solve my problem of a sweaty back?
    My ride is about 17 miles round trip in Chicago summers (gets 90+ degrees often). My rides aren't very long so the weight of the pack is fine.
    I appreciate the rack suggestions, but I'd rather have a sweaty back. I'm just not a pannier kind of guy I guess.
  • CincyNeid
    Options
    At some point I'm going to have to look into Panniers. But today is not that day. I'm going to do a ride from Cleveland to Cincinnati [Ohio] next summer/fall and I don't want a pack on that long. But I don't want Panniers on my bike at the moment.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Panniers.

They do feel weird at first, and lower you COG, but they are the best way to carry loads
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I cycle for exercise on trails and used to use a camel-back pack. Same problem - soaked clean through. So i got this and some more water bottle holders attached to my frame.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00696K4E6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    (There is a bigger version as well)

I find this bag to be quite roomy and does not interfere with my pedaling. I only use two of the velcro straps (on top) and allow the bag to float forward or backward to allow for easy access to my water bottles. Super secure on the trails too.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    saddlebag. keeps the weight distribution closer to centre, so doesn't feel as weird as panniers.

I have a lovely carradice bag made by Debbie.