2.5 hours of heavy hiking burns 15 calories? I think not.

Options
LauraCoth
LauraCoth Posts: 303 Member
I'm having a lot of trouble with the interface. Trying to add daily exercise to the mix with no success. If I hike, with poles (i.e. increasing my exercise to include my arms) on a rough trail with lots of inclines and declines, for 6 km, I know I have burned more than 15 calories, but that's all that shows up when I click on one of the only three hiking entries in the database her.

Any idea what the problem is? Can't use the database if I can;t get my exercise entries in correctly. No point otherwise.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Do you use an activity tracker?
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    Get a fibit, then you won't have to question your burns..it's not perfectly accurate, but better than guessing, or using someone else's entries.
  • killdontmurder
    killdontmurder Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Get a fibit, then you won't have to question your burns..it's not perfectly accurate, but better than guessing, or using someone else's entries.

I've been hearing a lot about that. Would it accurately track her hiking with all the inclines and whatnot?
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    I don't think Fitbit measures the inclines... But it would give her a closer idea than guessing or entering "15". She could also consider an activity tracker with a GPS and HR monitor...i believe they DO track inclines...
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    The Fitbit Blaze and Surge trackers both track elevation gains and heart rate. The Surge can also record your hikes via GPS

I have had both and my main exercise is hiking. The HR tends to read low, but the overall calorie burns correspond really closely to my actual weight changes.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,890 Member
    Options
    PaytraB wrote: »
    Did you enter the exercise in minutes? If you entered 2.5, meaning hours, it will think you mean 2.5 minutes.

I suspect this is the problem.
  • kenyodal
    kenyodal Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    So I got their companion app MapMyFitness and use that when I go bike riding. It then syncs over to MyFitnessPal. Mapmyfitness is great because it can track a range of different workouts (I mostly use walking/jogging/biking). Did a bike ride over lunch for 39 minutes and burned 777 calories.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    If you do a lot of walking get yourself a Runner watch or a Hikers Watch. It will track your elevation change, and your GPS location.

NO Fitbit product has a standalone GPS module in them. They all use Assisted GPS will pulls GPS data from your phone. Personally I wouldn't want that on a Hike. I would want my phone to be as strong in the battery department as it can be.

If you're not worried about it download something like MapMyFitness or MapMyHike and use it in place of a Hikers Watch and you'll get elevation change, speed, and others and it'll sync automatically with MFP once you pair the two.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Did you enter the exercise in minutes? If you entered 2.5, meaning hours, it will think you mean 2.5 minutes.

Considering I just tried that, and it gave me 26 Cals, this gets my vote.

Oh, and 1543 for 150 minutes (2.5 hours).
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

Holy moly! I wish I could burn 1543 for hiking 2.5hours. I'd be one of those people asking how can I eat all this food.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    Options
    CincyNeid wrote: »
    If you do a lot of walking get yourself a Runner watch or a Hikers Watch. It will track your elevation change, and your GPS location.

NO Fitbit product has a standalone GPS module in them. They all use Assisted GPS will pulls GPS data from your phone. Personally I wouldn't want that on a Hike. I would want my phone to be as strong in the battery department as it can be.

If you're not worried about it download something like MapMyFitness or MapMyHike and use it in place of a Hikers Watch and you'll get elevation change, speed, and others and it'll sync automatically with MFP once you pair the two.

The Surge has built in GPS, and does not require a mobile device. The reason I bought the Surge was because I nearly dropped my phone into a canyon once, and wanted to log my routes without bringing it.

http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/1874

• sparklyglitterbomb
    sparklyglitterbomb Posts: 458 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

Holy moly! I wish I could burn 1543 for hiking 2.5hours. I'd be one of those people asking how can I eat all this food.

I did a rather strenuous hike a few weeks ago (1 mile climb of 2000' feet, 4 miles of switchbacks on the back trail coming down) and mapmywalk (on hike) logged in like 1700 calories burned for me. Yes, I ate ALL the things that day. :D
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

I've been hearing a lot about that. Would it accurately track her hiking with all the inclines and whatnot?

Yes, it does, but it displays as "floors." On a Fitbit, 10 feet of elevation gain = 1 floor. Get something with an HRM for improved accuracy.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

The Surge has built in GPS, and does not require a mobile device. The reason I bought the Surge was because I nearly dropped my phone into a canyon once, and wanted to log my routes without bringing it.

Yes, but I have a Surge and wouldn't trust the battery to last 2.5 hours after turning on GPS tracking. The GPS drains the battery fast.
  • CincyNeid
    Options

I've got a good friend of mine who just "Traded in" his Surge for a VivoActive HR over the GPS w/ HR Battery drain issues. If you cannot go out for a 10K+ run and the GPS constantly losing signal or draining the battery it's not really worth even bragging about.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    Options

Yes, but I have a Surge and wouldn't trust the battery to last 2.5 hours after turning on GPS tracking. The GPS drains the battery fast.

Good point. I often was afraid to use hike mode for more than a couple of hours if the battery wasn't fully charged first. I ended up keeping a charger in the car so I could make sure it was at 100% before I started. Even then, I don't think I ever got the advertised 5 hours of battery life in sport mode.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    Options

I've got a good friend of mine who just "Traded in" his Surge for a VivoActive HR over the GPS w/ HR Battery drain issues. If you cannot go out for a 10K+ run and the GPS constantly losing signal or draining the battery it's not really worth even bragging about.

I was usually ok with the signal once it found it (which sometimes took a couple of minutes), but the battery thing was a constant annoyance. I could usually get 3-4 hours from 100% charge, but if I forgot to fully charge it ahead of time, I usually wouldn't risk it and would stick to step mode (which obviously wouldn't be an option on a bike).

I've had a lot of different trackers and I like the Fitbit for its all day tracking and accurate step count, and I love the social aspect, but it would not be my first choice for non-step based activity.

How does your friend like the vivo?
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I have a VivoActiveHR and a Fitbit Surge, both of which I have used for different physical activities recently. (Lifting, walking, running, rowing, elliptical) I would definitely recommend the VivoactiveHR over the Surge for someone who would be doing long hikes/bike rides/doesn't want to synch to their phone all the time.
    Battery life was better with the Vivo, using GPS or not. You can see your stats such as heart rate for the past 4 hours right on the watch, not just where it is currently like the Surge has. You can look through your other stats while in workout mode (Surge does not let you do this). I also liked that the Vivo had a specific rowing setting. Plus you can synch with a chest strap for heart rate, which I have done.
    However, I feel like Fitbit is a step ahead with the app/community aspect. The app is just much more aesthetically pleasing and user friendly than the Garmin app. Plus, I know not one other person IRL who has a Garmin, while I know many who have Fitbits and regularly do step challenges.
    So if motivation from friends and basic tracking is what you're into, go for the fitbit.
    If you want to track long activites and not have to synch all the time, ViviactiveHR, hands down.
  • CincyNeid
    Options
    How does your friend like the vivo?

So far he really likes it. But to be honest about it. He doesn't cycle with Speed, Cadence, or a HRM. And he doesn't Run with a Chest Strap so I would venture to say he's not using it to his full potential. I know he runs and walks a lot. I see his activity on Garmin Connect.

When I go to upgrade from my VivoSmart HR I think I'm going to go with the Active HR. But then I might be over kill for me because I have also have a Forerunner 220, and a Edge 520. But I will say I've been entertaining the Idea of joining a Pool and having Running, Swimming, and day to day activity rolled into one would be nice.