Eating after workout?

Options
I'm new to this . How long should u wait to eat after a workout ?

Replies

• killdontmurder
    killdontmurder Posts: 142 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I did the P90x I attempted the P90x, the instructor said that you need to eat food within 15 minutes...anything after that and your body starts to cannibalize itself!
  • thenewkayla
    thenewkayla Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks I didn't know if it affect anything
  • killdontmurder
    killdontmurder Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    This is from an article in the NY Times...Does the timing of your food after you’re finished exercising make any difference?
    Answer

Post exercise, my rule of thumb, I like for people to eat something within 15 minutes. The reason for that is that the enzymes that help the body re-synthesize muscle glycogen are really most active in that first 15 minutes. The longer we wait to eat something, the longer it takes to recover.

If people are really embarking on an exercise program and want to prevent that delayed-onset muscle soreness, refueling is part of it. Again, it’s a small amount – a fist-sized quantity. Low-fat chocolate milk works very well. The goal is not a post-exercise meal. It’s really a post-exercise appetizer to help the body recover as quickly as it can. You can do trail mix, or make a peanut butter sandwich. Eat half before and half after.

• JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I did the P90x I attempted the P90x, the instructor said that you need to eat food within 15 minutes...anything after that and your body starts to cannibalize itself!

This is not accurate.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    This is from an article in the NY Times...Does the timing of your food after you’re finished exercising make any difference?
    Answer

Post exercise, my rule of thumb, I like for people to eat something within 15 minutes. The reason for that is that the enzymes that help the body re-synthesize muscle glycogen are really most active in that first 15 minutes. The longer we wait to eat something, the longer it takes to recover.

If people are really embarking on an exercise program and want to prevent that delayed-onset muscle soreness, refueling is part of it. Again, it’s a small amount – a fist-sized quantity. Low-fat chocolate milk works very well. The goal is not a post-exercise meal. It’s really a post-exercise appetizer to help the body recover as quickly as it can. You can do trail mix, or make a peanut butter sandwich. Eat half before and half after.

Sounds scientific.

Eat when you want it has no effect on weight loss or gain.
  • daweasel
    daweasel Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    If you're only really exercising for weight loss and recovery time isn't an issue for you, it doesn't matter, though some people find if they exercise at a mod-high intensity for a prolonged period then don't eat soon after they end up very hungry and over-eating later.
  • odis79
    odis79 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I typically eat something high in protein or have a whey protein shake after intense workouts. It keeps me energized and full.
  • RNinPitts
    RNinPitts Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have high protein snack with lots of hydration. Protect muscles.
  • LyssaRonnell
    LyssaRonnell Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I usually eat 2 eggs when I get home from the gym and sometimes drink milk. I'm re -fueling my body after all that hard work.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Meal timing not going to impact most people for exercise recovery:

ottr7udm6b7l.png

The guy on P90X is trying to sell Beachbody supplements.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    You don't need to eat right away. That's bro-science
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Shower first then eat (or just wait until your next meal time).

the instructor said that you need to eat food within 15 minutes...anything after that and your body starts to cannibalize itself!

The quoted is utter twaddle! You have huge reserves of energy in your body.
    Unless you are doing multi-hour intensive workouts then meal timing is one of the last things to worry about, the totality of your diet is important not the timing.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I did the P90x I attempted the P90x, the instructor said that you need to eat food within 15 minutes...anything after that and your body starts to cannibalize itself![/quote]

Your instructor is an idiot......

OP depending in the intensity and duration of the workout you may not need to eat anything extra at all. If you're doing a longer, intense workout you may want to take in some carbs shortly after as your body is more receptive to glycogen replenishment but other than that nutrient timing isn't important.

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    The bro science is strong. Meal timing is not that important
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I use to eat 6 times a day now I eat twice sometimes three times the only thing that has changed is the amount of dishes in the sink..
  • sarahkw04
    sarahkw04 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go against the grain to an extent. I think it largely depends on your goals and how your body handles exercise. I'm working with a nutritionist, and one of the things she's has me implement is eating something within 30 minutes of my powerlifting sessions. For me (key phrase - "for me"), this has made a big difference with muscle recovery.

I really think it comes down to the individual. Just because it works for me to eat a banana before my 6am sessions and breakfast right after, doesn't mean its right or will work for everyone. Experiment and figure out what works for you.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I drink a Protein shake after my lifting. If not, I start feeling like I'm going to crash. I normally don't eat dinner until 6:00. Most days I'm done at the gym at 4:00.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    IF you feel like you're "bonking out" or "Hitting the Wall" then eat something.

I've always read between 30-45 mins post workout. However I'm sure that's for top level professionals, that need every little advantage they can get.... . For us commoners I don't think there really is a benefit one way or the other.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    sarahkw04 wrote: »
    I'm going to go against the grain to an extent. I think it largely depends on your goals and how your body handles exercise. I'm working with a nutritionist, and one of the things she's has me implement is eating something within 30 minutes of my powerlifting sessions. For me (key phrase - "for me"), this has made a big difference with muscle recovery.

I really think it comes down to the individual. Just because it works for me to eat a banana before my 6am sessions and breakfast right after, doesn't mean its right or will work for everyone. Experiment and figure out what works for you.

You do understand (at least in the U.S.) there are no qualifications to be a "nutritionist".

NUTRITIONIST

Definition and Regulation: A nutritionist is a non-accredited title that may apply to somebody who has done a short course in nutrition or who has given themselves this title. The term Nutritionist is not protected by law in almost all countries so people with different levels of and knowledge can call themselves a “Nutritionist”.

From this article:

http://eatrightdc.org/dietitian-vs-nutritionist/