Calf muscle cramps!

Options
The other day I was swimming and my right calf muscle locked up. I felt it and it was actually sucked into my leg. I just kept putting pressure on it and it eventually went away. I stretch now but I'm wondering if there's anything else I can be doing. I heard this could be a lack of potassium? Has this ever happened to anyone and how can I prevent it again?

Replies

• JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    Do you have a foam roller? When I get a kink in my leg or butt or anywhere, I pull out my foam roller (20 bux at Walmart) and roll the kink out..it hurts a bit at first, but the hurt feels SO good by the time you're done! Also some people use cold packs, some hot baths with epsoms salts....
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Yes, I used to get them when the exercise was reasonably new. Now that I'm fitter I don't get them anymore.

I have heard to eat a banana, and I have heard other people say to drink some pickle juice. I haven't tried either so I don't know; only passing along what I have heard others say.
  • MishaWest79
    MishaWest79 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Ouch.I used to have the occur during sleep sometimes and boy is it painful, you poor thing.

The RICE method - Rest, Ice,Compress and elevate gets the muscle back into position.
    Warming up and stretching before exercise is key, agree with foam roller post exercise, they are awesome.

For me magnesium baths were essential.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Check that you're drinking enough water, eating enough veggies, and not having too much sodium. If you sit a lot, stretching your calves hourly may help. :+1:
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Yes. Potassium, drink enough water and stretch.
  • killdontmurder
    killdontmurder Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone.
  • williejmaddox
    williejmaddox Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Yea I agree natural Nancy. it could be bcause of lack of potassium and not enough water. every now and then I will eat a banana and I always drink water.

keep pushing man
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    A trick for a calf cramp: the second you feel it coming straighten your knee and put your foot in a sharp dorsiflexion. If you do it early enough the cramp dissipates before it even has the chance to hurt.