Antibiotics and weight gain

Options
Hi
I've been doing the candida diet for 3 weeks with pretty good results (after being diagnosed with a candida over growth and many health problems).
Right 7 the middle of my momentum I got a infection and was out on antibiotics.
I haven't lost anymore weight since and even regained 2 pounds. Any suggestions on what I can do to balance the negative side effects of the antibiotics out?

Replies

• b1229
    b1229 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I didn't know they made you gain weight, maybe that's why I am struggling to lose as I am also currently on antibiotics
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I encourage you to focus on managing your condition and infection right now. Keep eating your recommended calories but don't worry about the scale. When you have an infection, your body does all kinds of stuff to protect itself and try to fight off the infection. You don't want to mess with that. Good luck.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Sometimes an infection can cause water weight gain.
    Wishing you good health.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I can't comment on antibiotics causing weight gain.. But i highly recommend to start taking probiotics while you're on the antibiotics. Take them as far apart from eachother as you can.

For me antibiotics = a yeast infection every single time, but if I'm also taking probiotics at time i stay infection free.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    @formybabies79 the bad microbes take over and as @Christine_72 points out the way back is to replace the good microbes that lost the fight by taking probiotics sooner than later. At the house we use HyperBiotics Pro-15 or Ultra-30 Probiotics from Amazon but there are many great choices. Antibiotics does that about 100% of the time.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Antibiotics will not cause weight gain, but they can cause water retention. Besides, this just being unwell can often cause water retention.

However, one can gain weight while on antibiotics if they eat over their TDEE on a consistent basis. However, the two pounds sounds like natural fluctuation or water retention.