Running Shoes

Options
I recently started the couch to 5k running program and a good friend of mine who got me back into running told me I'll eventually need to invest in a decent pair of running shoes. Right now I have a pair of Nike cross training/running shoes that I got in October, which work just fine for now. I have wide feet and a high arch, so finding shoes that cater to that without causing pain to bone & tendon is a challenge. At one point, I went to a local running store to get fitted for a running shoe (Brooks Ghost 6), but just couldn't afford it at the time. Does anyone have any recommendations of what shoe brands to consider? I really like the fit of the Brooks but if anyone has any suggestions for other brands, I will gladly look into those. Thanks!

Replies

• mdhummel
    mdhummel Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I just got a pair of the Brooks Ghost (not sure of the #) on sale at Fit2Run for $70. Since you've already been fitted maybe you could find the shoe you like online for cheaper?
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Asics Gel-Lyte 33. They're pretty affordable, I got my for around $60-$70 online. They're super light weight and really comfortable.
  • Saree1902
    Saree1902 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    My OH has a really high arch and he gets on well with New Balance running shoes. Plus there are a few factory outlets with cheaper pairs.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I wear balance 860v3 for warmer weather and Brooks Ghost GTX with Gortex for the colder weather. But again they are not a cheaper variety try a cheaper verson with new balance. We have a local new balance store in our area check to see if there is one in your area.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to go with what the shop recommended. Everyone's feet are unique and any suggestion I make may be completely inappropriate for you, personally I would not even consider buying running shoes that I had not tried on (one of the reasons I've stuck with the same make & model for the last 5 years). You will find fit variations (heel width, toe box size, arch height etc) even within the same brand.