Eat more or readjust goal weight?

Options
I set for myself a target weight of 165 and reached it a month ago. Since then, I'm still losing a bit and I've gone under my +- 2 lbs range, partly because I struggle to keep my calories up with my triathlon training (which will go down in 2 months in favor of a focus on weight training). Since my target weight was somewhat arbitrary, do I worry about trying to take in more calories or just accept that for now I may be a little lighter and when cardio dies down, I can just keep eating the way I am and the calories that I am above maintenance will just go to bulk and reduced cardio? Stats are 41 years old 6'.

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Pros and cons really.
    There will be advantages in being lighter for your event but you definitely want to be fully fuelled rather than in a deficit when you have your taper week before the triathlon.

Your training and recovery may well be better at maintenance levels.

If you intend to bulk then leaner (probably) a better start point.

Knowing your true maintenance levels is very useful info whether maintaining or bulking.
    Personally I would want to know my maintenance level but it could come down to simply looking in the mirror and thinking "better lighter, heavier or just the same?".

If it helps my maintenance was around 164 with 168 as my upper intervention weight but would drop to 161 for big cycle events.
    But I've recomped a bit and now feel too skinny under 164.
    Reinforces that what you decide now doesn't have to be forever and your body changes.

• Vegplotter
    Vegplotter Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    +-2lbs is too little leeway. It's common for normal weight fluctuation to be +-5lbs. Keep tracking. You'll get there.