Abdomen swelling while running

Options
Does anyone else have problems with their stomach swelling up while you run/jog to a point where it is painful? Or know what is causing this? Is this normal when you first start running?

I am currently in week 5 of the couch to 5K program and I didn’t have any problems for the first two weeks, started to feel it in week 3 and now it’s every time I run. The run always starts out fine, then about 10 minutes in I start to feel my stomach expand and by the end of my jog it is painful. Then about 30 to 45 minutes after I am done it goes away.

I know that some people have problems with water weight when you first start exercising, but I doubt that is my problem because I’m not new to exercising in general, just running, and it’s just in my abdomen area nowhere else.

I'm super proud of what I have accomplished so far and really want to continue, but would love to do so without this pain.

Thanks in advanced for any help!

Replies

• chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    How soon do you eat or drink prior to the run? I can't within about 2 hours prior to high-cardio exercise or I get painful cramps that turn into gas.
  • juiletflt
    juiletflt Posts: 159
    Options
    It happens either way. One time last week it had been 7 hours from the last time I had eaten and I still had this problem. I haven't had any gas... actually I don't know how it goes down, it just does.

But thank you.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I'm no help in this case, I just get the normal side cramp but I wanted to bump this for you