why isn't this working?

Options
I record my daily calories and everyday I am below my daily goal, which is 1400. I usually average between 1100-1300. I also use Google fit and know that I burn an average 1700-2300 calories a day. I usually aim for 10,000 steps a day. I am always in a deficit in my calories and I am just not understanding what I'm doing wrong because my weight goes up instead of down. Any tips or suggestions?

Replies

• ThatLadyFromMN
    ThatLadyFromMN Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're not eating enough, I know sounds weird, but maybe up what you're eating but fill it with mostly proteins and healthy fats.
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Are you using a food scale & only eating back 50% ~ 75% of your exercise calories earned because calorie burns're typically, unrealistically high? How long have you been doing this, if it's under 28 days; you most likely aren't factoring in weight via your TOM?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    How long have you been following your current regimen? You need to give it a few weeks, at least, to see any measurable change. Tighten up your logging: Weigh everything you eat and drink (that has calories) on an elecronic food scale, double check that the values of the item you log corresponds with the actual item you are ingesting ("verified" and scanning barcodes are no guarantee for accuracy), don't have cheat days/meals, aim to hit your calorie goal every day, and be patient.
  • KristiMillner08
    KristiMillner08 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    The calorie goal that MFP gives you is based off your profile and how much weight you wanted to lose. You need to eat your calories plus only some of your exercise calories. I think the average among my friends is about 50% of exercise calories. Your body must have a certain amount of "fuel" ie. food, in order to function properly. Make sure you are logging correct, use a food scale if your not and make sure you eat enough.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    You're probably eating more calories that you think you are. classic
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of missing information here that would allow people to help you with your issue(s).
    1. Height/Current Weight?
    2. How long have you been tracking your food/trying to lose weight?
    3. Do you use a food scale to weigh all of your food in grams?
    4. Do you eat back all of your exercise calories?
    5. How much has your weight changed since you've started trying to lose weight?
  • Erfw7471
    Erfw7471 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Mirendy wrote: »
    I record my daily calories and everyday I am below my daily goal, which is 1400. I usually average between 1100-1300. I also use Google fit and know that I burn an average 1700-2300 calories a day. I usually aim for 10,000 steps a day. I am always in a deficit in my calories and I am just not understanding what I'm doing wrong because my weight goes up instead of down. Any tips or suggestions?

What are your stats?
    Are you weighing & measuring your intake properly?
    What is your activity level & how are you sure your burned calories are accurate?
    Have you used calculators to figure your caloric needs?
  • The_Weaze
    The_Weaze Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    If you're not losing then you're eating more than you think. Weigh your food, don't rely on measuring cups, and don't eat back all of your exercise calories. When you first start working out your body retains some water but that will even out over time. Taking body measurements is a great way to track progress, the scale only means so much.
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    It looks like you've only been a member since 6/24...if that's when you started tracking, you simply need to give it more time. Sometimes when you start a new routine/change your eating, it takes a while for your body to play catch up. And if you haven't already: get a food scale. Even individually pre-packed items can have up to 30% more calories than the serving size listed on the package....THIS was a huge eye opener for ME!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    How long have you been on MFP (counting calories and eating at a proposed deficit)?

How many pounds are you setup to loose each week?

Do you have any medical conditions or are you on medication? (want to rule this out)

Do you use a food scale? And if not get one.. and it is the classic "it can be due to eating too much", not on purpose but because of not logging all foods in real weight that you consume and not including items like condiments, butter and oils, dressings, things that make it on the food but are not logged, etc..

Also, exercise calories... How are they calculated and do you eat them back in accordance to how MFP works?

In total honesty are there any cheat meals or cheat days?

Some misc info if you need to look at this closer: For everyday weighing, consider using a program like trendweight to even out the fluctuations. You could be losing weight but just don't see it because of the daily ups and downs due to sodium, hydration, exercise, female hormones (time of the month), carb intake, etc..

Last but not least, weight loss is not linear and if everything is 100% on point, there could be a case where you are burning fewer calories than calculators can predict. You should give the process at least 3 weeks before freaking out if it has been less than this..
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're not eating enough, I know sounds weird, but maybe up what you're eating but fill it with mostly proteins and healthy fats.

Eating more is never the answer to lack of weight loss.
  • Mirendy
    Mirendy Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have only been using MFP for a short time but I have been counting my calories in and out for much longer. I've been at this since October last year and so far I've lost 39lbs but for the last 2 months I've been stuck. My current stats are:
    5'3" 229lbs & 34 yrs old.
    I do log every single thing I eat or drink down to the seasonings and sauces. As far as eating more than I think I do, there's nothing I don't count and on some days I have to force myself to eat just to reach 1000 calories a day.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    How are you calculating what to log? Are you weighing everything? Are you choosing entries from the database that tally with the packaging or other external sources?
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Mirendy wrote: »
    I have only been using MFP for a short time but I have been counting my calories in and out for much longer. I've been at this since October last year and so far I've lost 39lbs but for the last 2 months I've been stuck. My current stats are:
    5'3" 229lbs & 34 yrs old.
    I do log every single thing I eat or drink down to the seasonings and sauces. As far as eating more than I think I do, there's nothing I don't count and on some days I have to force myself to eat just to reach 1000 calories a day.

You still didn't say if you're using a digital scale to measure your food.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Open your diary, it will help us help you.