Coconut Oil/Coffee Pre Workout?

Options
So I read online that these two things are great calorie burners as a pre workout start-up. Does anyone have any experience with these? I would love to hear it!

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Where did you read this?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I mean, I use them for breakfast as a good way to get early morning fats in, but what you just said sounds dubious at best.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about bullet proof coffee??
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Isn't bullet proof when you add 1/2 stick of butter into coffee?
    It can be any oil? Olive oil?
    Could you use lard instead to save money?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Isn't bullet proof when you add 1/2 stick of butter into coffee?
    It can be any oil? Olive oil?
    Could you use lard instead to save money?

is671t9aeb8c.gif
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Are you talking about bullet proof coffee??

A little bit of caffeine will help with a workout, coconut does have energy producing properties but taking all this together in some sort of concoction? As a pre-workout.. never heard of this, but I never looked for it to find it.

But I have heard of bullet proof coffee...LOL
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    No.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    BPC is done many ways. Mine is coconut oil, butter, heavy cream, and an extract of whatever flavor I want on a given day. Comes out to right around 510 kcal, about 98% of those from fat. However, a PWO, it is not.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I don't really see how coconut oil could be a calorie burner, as it is very high calorie...But you can make BPC for breakfast or pre-workout if you have room for the calories. I usually make it with one tbs or less coconut oil or butter in my coffee. It gives you an energy boost and helps you feel satiated until your next meal. I don't like to workout with a bunch of food in my stomach, so this would work for me before a morning lifting session.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Um, it might have "interesting affects" depending on how fast coffee and oil go through you...

Other than that, lots of people drink coffee before working out from the boost from caffeine.

Try it out, see if it works for you. That's what it's going to boil down to.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    I tried it once for the taste (not as a pre-work out) and in my opinion it *kitten* up a decent cup of coffee.

As a pre-work out (not something that I feel I need every time) I use strong black coffee or occasionally strong black coffee with a heaped tablespoon of dextrose. When I add dextrose the energy boost is quite significant (although probably 90% placebo).
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Um, it might have "interesting affects" depending on how fast coffee and oil go through you...

Wait, do you mean I shouldn't do squats or deadlifts after drinking this?

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »

Wait, do you mean I shouldn't do squats or deadlifts after drinking this?

*squat at your own risk*

Also keeping in mind that you might need to find a new gym if there are problems...
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Come on now. The workout is the calorie burner. Adding coconut oil to your coffee is a.. calorie adder.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I love coffee with fat (heavy whipping cream), but I haven't tried before working out because I am sure I will get runners *kitten*.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Could bacon grease be used?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    A Tbsp of coconut oil is 120 calories...it's not a calorie burner, it is a calorie adder...this is some kind of bizzarro world logic going on here...
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Working out with oil-slick coffee sloshing around inside me would lead to projectile vomiting. I suppose the calories burned from the subsequent cleanup effort might cancel some of it out.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I have never felt any difference from coconut oil. However adding mct oil to my cuppa has definitely given me a boost of quick release energy.