Trying again

I'm not really new here but been out of the loop for a while. I feel overwhelmed sometimes. All I want is to be happy and healthy. All the diets out there get me confused. Do I eat gluten or not, vegetarian, paleo, etc. I want to change my lifestyle to something that is actually doable for me. I welcome any thoughts and suggestions. Thank you!

Replies

• firewife73
    firewife73 Posts: 15 Member
    I'm starting again too! We can do this!! I've learned that no matter what you do, if you do it to an extreme you will probably fail. I've tried to cut stuff out completely and I can do it short term but then I nose dive and go right back to where I started. This time around I'm making healthier choices, moving more and logging everything!! The logging is the biggest thing that helps me. The only thing that I have decided to cut out is sugar. Nothing good comes from eating it and it causes so many aches and pains and problems. So I have reduces the amount of sugar I eat by about 90% and I feel so much better already. I know the different diets are so confusing. I've stopped eating processed foods and am trying to stick with just meats, veggies, fruits and nuts and seasonings and herbs. Definitely no sauces!!. I do treat myself to a 1/2 cup of Dark Chocolate ice cream every Sunday though. :-)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited June 2016
    I'm not really new here but been out of the loop for a while. I feel overwhelmed sometimes. All I want is to be happy and healthy. All the diets out there get me confused. Do I eat gluten or not, vegetarian, paleo, etc. I want to change my lifestyle to something that is actually doable for me. I welcome any thoughts and suggestions. Thank you!

I've done tons of "diets"......as in temporary changes to lose weight. Then I'm always disappointed because the weight comes back!

THIS time I will make lifestyle changes. I won't cut out (insert _________) unless I'm intending to give that up forever.

For me there is no point to logging & measuring one small sub-set of foods, when I intend future foods include so much more. Keeping the weight off is going to require portion control for ALL foods.

Make room for favorites. But eventually you will tweak your diet because some things just aren't worth the "price."
  • CarmelaHouk
    CarmelaHouk Posts: 1 Member
    I think exercise is the hardest! I have come to the conclusion that I am lazy. I think I am physically active but I am not. Making my self take a 20 brisk walk helps my energy level and that helps my determination. I am always glad I did it after I walk (its just taking that first step!).
  • juleswhite870
    juleswhite870 Posts: 7 Member
    I totally agree. Exercise is something I make excuses not to do. But like you I do feel better after I've done it and glad that I did.
  • MrsStephHayes
    MrsStephHayes Posts: 6 Member
    I am starting over also! I don't care for any of the extreme diets, because as previously mentioned, it just doesn't stick to my lifestyle long-term. I have found in previous weight loss success that simply tracking my foods makes me more aware and accountable for what I consume. It also helps me to see what food choices & combinations worked for me on any particular day & which ones did not! I am limiting my sugar intake, focusing on clean-eating/fresh foods when at all possible, and have a goal to exercise each day that I am physically able.