How many grams of sugar do you eat in a day?

Options
I do not have a problem with diabetes and I have never monitored my sugar consumption before. I read the American Heart Association recommends women consume no more than 24g of sugar in a day -- MFP has auto-calculated my plan at 25g per day. The problem is -- even when trying to eat clean -- I am NEVER below that number. I enjoy fruit, greek yogurt, whole multigrain bread, and usually one or two other items with some form of sugar in it on a daily basis. I have radically changed my eating habits in the past two months and continue to make changes as I find new things. I have really become label conscious and prepare most of my food from scratch at home. I am eating well.

My question is does anyone who doesn't have "issues" with sugar actually stay below the recommended amount regularly?

I don't think it is hurting my progress one way or another, but I was just wondering what others were doing.

Replies

• iwantodance
    iwantodance Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I was just going to post a similar topic and decided I'd better search the topics first.Today is my 2nd day of recording my food intake, although I got on the site about a year ago.

According to the website's calculations, my goal is 33 grams of sugar today. Yesterday, it was 29 grams. I can hit that with a cup of nonfat milk, a slice of whole grain bread, and a couple of fruits. I don't see how I can stay at or under that limit. I know that I should limit sugar intake but 33 grams seems impossible.

Also, I wonder why the goal was higher today than yesterday. Maybe it has something to do with the amount of exercise? Or, maybe it's based on my totals from yesterday? I hit 61 grams yesterday and thought that I was eating pretty healthy. Today, I'm at 29 grams already and I haven't had dinner or any snacks yet. I've lost weight before by counting calories and limiting fat and sugar but not at the rate the website gives me.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    AHA recommendation is for *added* sugars.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,007 Member
    Options
    That's added sugar, not sugar found in whole foods naturally. I'm pretty much added sugar free, except maple syrup and honey, which are for specific recipes.......No I lied I do add sugar when I bake, but I don't bake much, oh and when I make ice cream.......ok I eat added sugar.
  • 1yoyoKAT
    1yoyoKAT Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I don't even watch the sugar number, I turned it off in favor of showing other nutrients. I eat a lot of fruit and vegetables, no doubt going over the sugar allotment from MFP. I did my own research and have set the nutrients I want to track at a level that works well for me. Example, I set my protein higher than the default on MFP. It sounds like you are eating a healthy diet and the sugar is coming from fruits, milk, etc. not added sugar. I think AHA is most concerned with added sugar.
  • Bobbie8786
    Bobbie8786 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I switched sugar for fiber in my diary since I was sick of seeing the big red number in my sugar column every day. You can barely eat 2 pieces of fruit a day without going over and that is ridiculous. Unless you are a diabetic or have some other medical condition, I would ignore it.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Between 120 - 200. Typically around 130.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I don't even track sugar and never have. I'm certain I'd be over every single day.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I was just going to post a similar topic and decided I'd better search the topics first.Today is my 2nd day of recording my food intake, although I got on the site about a year ago.

According to the website's calculations, my goal is 33 grams of sugar today. Yesterday, it was 29 grams. I can hit that with a cup of nonfat milk, a slice of whole grain bread, and a couple of fruits. I don't see how I can stay at or under that limit. I know that I should limit sugar intake but 33 grams seems impossible.

Also, I wonder why the goal was higher today than yesterday. Maybe it has something to do with the amount of exercise? Or, maybe it's based on my totals from yesterday? I hit 61 grams yesterday and thought that I was eating pretty healthy. Today, I'm at 29 grams already and I haven't had dinner or any snacks yet. I've lost weight before by counting calories and limiting fat and sugar but not at the rate the website gives me.

Your macros change when you add exercise calories, so that's probably why you've got a different number.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I don't even track sugar and never have. I'm certain I'd be over every single day.

Ditto. If you're eating a reasonable diet (like you're not drinking 2,000 calories of soda and calling that a balanced diet) and it sounds like you are then there's really no reason to fret about it outside of, like you mentioned, medical issues.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I had to look at my full report for today.....140g
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    You mean carbs not sugar? 25g of sugar is over when you eat greek yogurt or fruit. Doesn't matter. As long as you dont over do it. I eat about 150-175g of carbs per day
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I have No Clue.... Never tracked it........ Just watch Carbs, Proteins, and Fats......... Best of Luck
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    All of them.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I do not have a problem with diabetes and I have never monitored my sugar consumption before. I read the American Heart Association recommends women consume no more than 24g of sugar in a day -- MFP has auto-calculated my plan at 25g per day. The problem is -- even when trying to eat clean -- I am NEVER below that number. I enjoy fruit, greek yogurt, whole multigrain bread, and usually one or two other items with some form of sugar in it on a daily basis. I have radically changed my eating habits in the past two months and continue to make changes as I find new things. I have really become label conscious and prepare most of my food from scratch at home. I am eating well.

My question is does anyone who doesn't have "issues" with sugar actually stay below the recommended amount regularly?

I don't think it is hurting my progress one way or another, but I was just wondering what others were doing.

Please go check the AHA's recommendations again. They specifically address added sugars, not naturally occurring sugars in fruits and other foods. That said, even that is probably overkill as sugar is simply a carbohydrate and will not make you fat unless your calorie intake exceeds your calories burned. I personally don't bother to track sugar at all and while I do not eat sweets throughout the day, I do eat a lot of fruit and I have ice cream or some other sweet most nights.
  • AnneSoCal
    AnneSoCal Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've never tracked the sugar before, since I eat a high fat / low carb diet, but I just added the column in to see since I really had no idea. Based on my diary for the past couple of weeks, I eat less than 20g of sugar a day. It's usually around 12 - 13.

Then again, I don't eat any foods that have added sugar or foods that are naturally high in sugar (like bananas) so that's why my numbers are so low. I certainly don't miss it!
  • LizAnn925
    LizAnn925 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have thought about this too. I do not think fruit sugars should really be including in this on MFP because your fruit recommendations alone will probably cover this amount. I go over my sugar amount 99% of the time (25 grams a day is nothing when it comes to fruit - there is double that in a mango). I think this sugar refers to added sugars in breads, pastas, cookies, and the like. You may have to keep these sugars separate from each other on a list and make sure you aren't eating 25 grams of processed sugars in baked goods and whatnot. Fruit is separate.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Between 120 - 200. Typically around 130.

I don't track it but when I have a look for sh!ts and giggles, mine is about the same
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    I have No Clue.... Never tracked it........ Just watch Carbs, Proteins, and Fats......... Best of Luck

same here.
  • jamielynas
    jamielynas Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I'm generally about 120-180 but I don't really pay attention either
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    You could save yourself a lot of trouble and just track total carbs.