Do these calories seem right?

Options
So after a year and a half of working on my fitness and (largely) ignoring my diet, I've decided to get serious now about cutting these last 25 lbs so I can better see some of my new muscles ;) Anyway, even though I'm on here all the time I want to make sure I'm setting this up correctly.
Stats - 5'11", 188 lbs. I work out religiously 5 days a week - 3 days compound lifting, 2 days cardio and HIIT. My job is mostly sedentary during the week, but I'm pretty active with my kids on the weekends.

Without exercise, to lose 1 lb/week, MFP gives me 1580 cals/day. I was going to follow this, eat back half my exercise calories, and wear a fitbit to enable calorie adjustment on weekends where I'm more active.

Does this sound reasonable?

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    sounds reasonable. Though (1) I don't myself log any exercise, I let FitBit do all of the adjustments (unless I swim or bike). (2) I might set a "hard" limit on the amount I'd eat back no matter what FitBit says. Maybe a hard limit of 2000. Something like that.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    If you're eating back exercise calories, it sounds like it's reasonable.

I'm 5'9", 177 lbs. Four days a week compound lifting, one or two days of cardio (usually only one :p ). I am losing on 1930 calories per day, but I don't eat back exercise or Fitbit calories.

I found I didn't like the 'moving target' of trying to eat back exercise/Fitbit calories based on what I did that day. Because I am pretty set in my exercise, I calculated my TDEE and subtracted 10%. That way I know how many calories I'll have to eat at the beginning of the day. This makes meal planning, etc, so much easier for me.

Sounds like you have a good plan in place. Good luck!