Looking to Lose 20 Pounds

Options
Hi All,

Joining MFP after a time consuming work schedule the past 9 months has left me 20lbs heavier. I used to compete in 10Ks and triathlons, however a change in my work schedule from September to June left me little time or energy to train. I never altered my eating habits. As a result, I've gained 20lbs. I'm unhappy with my current weight and feel confident that my reduced work load starting in July will allow me to exercise (and sleep) more. As a result of the past 9 months, my fitness levels have drastically decreased as well. My last 5K race in June 2015 was a PB at 23:30. Now I don't think I could finish in under 31:00 for a 10 minute mile.

I will be 31 in a few weeks. Currently 143lbs looking to drop to around 125 where I've been happiest. I don't know if I should focus on fitness or weight loss. I know it's almost impossible to train at a calorie deficit and since I'm out of shape right now, training my way to weight loss seems like an injury minefield. Any tips on how to navigate this journey will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Charlene

Replies

• JeffreyBurkhalter
    JeffreyBurkhalter Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Could you train at a small calorie deficit? Seems like losing weight would be good for injury prevention.
  • pztodd
    pztodd Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Hi Charlene. You say that your eating habits haven't changed so it sounds like you need to focus on getting your fitness levels back up and let the weight loss happen as a result of doing that and logging your food just to make sure that there is nothing there that is making you pile on the weight.
    Good luck (though of course luck has nothing to do with it but you get what I mean) :smiley: