Runners... How do you stay motivated to RUN?!??

Options
ylor89
ylor89 Posts: 105 Member
I've been really lazy with my running... I blame the humid weather. :tongue:

But seriously, I've been wondering how to keep myself motivated. A few years ago when I first started running, I couldn't wait to get out the door and run! And every time I ran, I always went a little further than before.

Then I took about a two year break from running... And now I don't know how I did it before...I must have been crazy. I waste time dreading going for my run, and then when I finally talk myself into doing it, I dread the entire 30 some minutes of it! So much for wanting to run a marathon someday...

So runners, how do you stay motivated? Because as much as I dread my runs, I'd like to run a marathon someday...

Replies

• Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,232 Member
    Options
    I like running. Motivation isn't a problem usually because I like it. If I didn't like it, or dreaded doing it, I think I'd find an activity that I actually liked. It's really difficult to motivate yourself to regularly go do something you loathe.
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    sometimes I love running and sometimes I hate it. I find I hate it when Ive slacked off and its harder for me. Once Im back in the swing of things I enjoy it more.

Good music is a must on a run for me!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    It's the only time of the day that I ever get just to myself. I'm pulled in every direction by DH, kids, job(s), housework, etc. My run is MY time. If you aren't enjoying running, try doing something like training for a duathalon, biking and running, maybe the extra cross training will help you enjoy running more.

Another idea, if you really want to do it, sign up for a race, pick a schedule and simply start out the door on a plan.
  • camaxon
    camaxon Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You sound like me.I use to run ALL the time for about 4 years then took 2 years off and tried to start again..but no motivation..found a friend to run with and now I run 5-6 days a week...
  • FITIsTheNewPINK
    Options
    Living in the South I DEFINITELY understand not wanting to run due to the weather, but honestly I just try to tough it out. But don't forget to drink plenty of water and plan your distance/speed accordingly!
    How I stay motivated seems rather silly, but I always listen to music while I run and change up my playlist often, run in different places, buy new running gear, or just get a running buddy. All these things make it more fun to run which breeds motivation :)
    But for the most part, you just have to push yourself and exercise your discipline and well as your muscles. No one WANTS to run everyday, but as long as there is no physical reason you cannot - always try. Even if you barely jog, you're still burning more calories than if you were watching tv :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I sign up for races and what not...I'm spending money...I'm vested at that point, so I have something to train for. Working out for the sake of working out sucks, regardless of what you're doing. Training with a purpose is awesome and motivating.
  • mattvandyk
    mattvandyk Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have 3 little children. They do not run and after about 3/4ths of a mile they are out of earshot.

/motivation
  • elvinprincess_9
    elvinprincess_9 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I llok at old fatter pics and think how well ive done just from running. the gym didnt work for me but running does, i may noy like the thought but I certainly have a smile on my face at the end. x
  • Babygi6003
    Babygi6003 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I sign up for races and they keep me motivated to train so that I can run them!
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    If you don't feel like running, don't. I've found that I like exercises much better when I don't feel like I am forcing them on myself.
    However, if you really want to run a marathon, use that as motivation. You have to make a concious decision to want to run the marathon, sign up, and work towards it. You could also remind yourself how great you feel when you are done. Maybe change where you run, choose trails vice the road. Just spitballin' here.

As for the how I stay motivated, I keep signing up for races and always am working to improve, be it distance or times. But I like running.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I think you mentally cross the threshold from it being a chore to something you enjoy doing. It no longer becomes a motivation factor.
  • RaineMarie
    RaineMarie Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I sign up for races. I was struggling earlier in the year, and signed up to run a race every weekend in April. I've been motivated ever since!

Also, I have a really stressful job (I represent crime victims) and sometimes the only time I can zone out and not think about the horrific stories I here is when I am running. In the past few months I've really come to appreciate long runs on Saturday mornings - they help me begin my weekend in a more relaxed state - I'm really tense during the week from work!
  • TheRunningGuppy
    TheRunningGuppy Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Sign up for a race. I've got an 8K coming up in a week & a half. Eek! Better get running!
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I string strips of bacon around my belt and run past local dogs... or hit a bee hive with a bat.

Juuuuust kidding... I've tried to get into running, but couldn't stick with any kind of long distance (I get bored). Hiking, volleyball, or when I need the cardio, circuit training (mixed in .25 to .5 mile sprints between supersets in the gym). It's working.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Start training for that marathon you want to do. I am struggling a bit right now, probably because of stress and the fact that I'm not training for anything in particular.
  • whatjesseats
    whatjesseats Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I sign up for races and find a training plan -- I love running but this is the only way I do it consistently.
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    For me, it's less about the daily motivation and more about reminding myself of the long term commitment I made to myself to stick with it. I've built up the ability to do it, and I really don't want to lose it. I've cut way back in the summer heat, but I'm making sure to lace up and get out there at least once a week for a run (the rest of the time I substitute walking or indoor activities) so that I don't have to start over again from scratch in the fall (like I always do). But honestly, it's about shutting my brain off and going. It's not that hard, and I always feel great when I get back!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I think people dread exercising because they push themselves too far. Keep your runs comfortable and easy. Then you won't hate them, and, eventually, you'll get addicted to the endorphins! YeeHaw!
    It is not going to do you any good to run hard for two months, if you are so miserable doing it you quit! Take it easy and, at six months, or maybe a year, you'll be running hard and you will like it.
  • seizethefray
    seizethefray Posts: 109
    Options
    Register for races...

Get a running app or make a playlist...

Tell yourself that "the hardest step for a runner is the first one out the door." Even when my run was garbage, I never regret going.

Feel free to add me! I just posted a thread earlier looking for more running friends. :)
  • Wretched61
    Wretched61 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Do you listen to music while running? That is the biggest motivator for me. The faster the song, the faster I run!