Leg press ave. WTAF!

Options
Kdp2015
Kdp2015 Posts: 519 Member
Feeling a bit grumpy, just read (in several places) the 'average' woman should be able to leg press double her body weight! I didn't think I was that weak, I weight 65kg and have only just worked up to 80kg for 4 reps!! Please tell me I'm not the only one??

Replies

• robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    It's funny, but when I was 95lb I could push 300 with my legs and it confused me, I didn't think I was strong. It's like the machine was designed to maximize the weight you could press. Perhaps you have a different machine. How much can you squat?
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Kdp2015 wrote: »
    Feeling a bit grumpy, just read (in several places) the 'average' woman should be able to leg press double her body weight! I didn't think I was that weak, I weight 65kg and have only just worked up to 80kg for 4 reps!! Please tell me I'm not the only one??

Don't know where you've read that but it's incorrect. To press double your body weight, the muscles in your legs need trained. The average woman does not have that strength by simply going about their daily business.

Keep training it will come.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Keep working on it. Everyone starts somewhere. I imagine you'll make rapid improvements in this area.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I have no idea who decides that someone should be able to lift "X" amount their body weight. It's just an arbitrary number that someone spouts so they can write an article. It is based on nothing and just discourages the majority of the population who cannot do that!
  • daweasel
    daweasel Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    It depends so, so much on the machine and in particular the range of motion you're using. Don't get discouraged!
  • Kdp2015
    Options
    Thanks, I can't squat as much as I'd like because I struggle to get a heavier barbell over my head - any tips?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Yeah...I mean, I can definitely leg press more than double my body weight for reps. I'm relatively well trained though? I don't know what to say..
  • arditarose
    Options
    Thanks, I can't squat as much as I'd like because I struggle to get a heavier barbell over my head - any tips?

What do you mean? You should be squatting in a squat rack.
  • Kdp2015
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Why?
  • arditarose
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Why?

For safety....First of all, there are safety bars so you can bail if the weight is too heavy. And like you said, how are you going to advance in weight if you can't press it over your head? That's just dangerous at a certain point.
  • Kdp2015
    Options
    I assumed I would have to work in the muscles that allow me to lift it over...
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Why in the world are you lifting the bar over your head to squat? That seems incredibly dangerous. Just use a squat rack, power rack or if you like living dangerously, some squat stands. You will be able to squat a whole lot more than you can lift over your head, very quickly.
  • Kdp2015
    Options
    Ok thanks, it's not something I've even considered before so should be really helpful (I've always lifted it over my head as that's what I was taught in body pump)
  • arditarose
    Options
    Oh....I mean, that's what you do in that class. I don't think there's much of a progressive overload there if I recall. If you really want to start squatting heavier, you'll want to move to the free weights and squat rack.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I assumed I would have to work in the muscles that allow me to lift it over...

You assumed wrong. Use the squat rack :)
  • Kdp2015
    Options
    Ok cool (quite excited about trying it now) :) should I wait for an instructor to show me how to use a rack?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I'd get an instructor to help with form tbh, form is vital when moving heavy stuff

But yes make sure you know how to set it up properly...the day I set the safeties on upside down, went too deep and dropped and got knocked on my *kitten* by 60kg that just kept on rolling is still fresh in my mind :blush:
  • Kdp2015
    Options
    Lol, thank you :D