Does Bulking Really Make You Fat?

Options
I am in about the third week of bulking and I am reading a lot about how bulking can make you fat. I understand that bad results come from eating way over maintenance and not paying attention to macros. However, should I expect to look out of shape at the end of my bulk? I have seen people (like my brothers) who have eaten at surpluses without even counting and they don't look shredded by the end of their bulk but they look stronger, better, and more athletic at the top of their bulks. Is this more of the normal expectation for me (21 years old, 5'8, 138) or should I be concerned about gaining a lot of fat and looking out of shape until I cut? I am fine with gaining some fat on the bulk I am just wondering whether I have to accept a lot of fat when I bulk or if it should be mainly imperceptible to most?

By the way, I'm consuming about 2750 cals (210p, 313c, 76f).

Replies

• kayemali
    kayemali Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hey mate, I'm on a bulk to, I started 3 weeks ago, I weighed 9.13 stone and now weight today 10.11 and have a body fat of 10%! I've grown but not gotten fat and it's mainly due to banging gym 5 days a week but eating good, I know they say eat anything and everything to bulk, but I eat stil healthy things so I don't get fat! Take a long at my food dairy and you will see what I eat on a daily basis! Optimum nutrition mass gainer is really really good, but split it up to 3 a day, 100g powder and 400ml full at milk, that's a big help!
  • kayemali
    kayemali Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Also I have about 3500 calories a day
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    dpr73 wrote: »
    I am in about the third week of bulking and I am reading a lot about how bulking can make you fat. I understand that bad results come from eating way over maintenance and not paying attention to macros. However, should I expect to look out of shape at the end of my bulk? I have seen people (like my brothers) who have eaten at surpluses without even counting and they don't look shredded by the end of their bulk but they look stronger, better, and more athletic at the top of their bulks. Is this more of the normal expectation for me (21 years old, 5'8, 138) or should I be concerned about gaining a lot of fat and looking out of shape until I cut? I am fine with gaining some fat on the bulk I am just wondering whether I have to accept a lot of fat when I bulk or if it should be mainly imperceptible to most?

By the way, I'm consuming about 2750 cals (210p, 313c, 76f).

Fat gain is inevitable when bulking. You can be meticulous and only narrowly eat above maintenance but it's a much slower bulk but you'll still add fat but generally the muscle to fat ratio is better bulking that way but like I said you'll be bulking much longer and have to be far more dedicated.

I'm currently in a bulk like I described, and probably resemble the description you gave of you're brothers. I was 9% body fat starting, probably around 11/12% now it's inevitable.

They don't say bulk until you hate yourself for no reason.
  • EzRemake
    EzRemake Posts: 128 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Your abs will start to disappear and you will panic, but then you'll notice how much better your arms, chest, shoulders and back look, and suddenly it's not all that bad. If you're not on the juice, you're usually looking at 50/50 muscle fat gain. If you're a brand new trainee, this can be a little more favorable on the muscle side but it doesn't last very long.
  • rontafoya
    rontafoya Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Yes, it can. The key is to gain as little fat as you can; however, when in a caloric surplus and adding muscle, you will gain fat too. It's a question of your genetics plus how skilled you are with your calories, macros, and training.
  • robmaclaverty
    robmaclaverty Posts: 1 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Just think of it as eating and training like a bear during winter,you will gain fat,but in an anabolic state you will feel very good,all of the macronutrients you get will be like feeding an inferno when you hit the weights.Bulking season is the time to smash your PR's,deadlift like your entrance to Valhalla depends on it,yeah you'll get a bit chunky,but it's just a little layers covering the quality muscle you've built up,it's then during summer that we shred all the fat away,slowly and deliberately,until we end up lean,vascular and bloody jacked.
  • MrSimmers
    MrSimmers Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Temporarily. The key though is turning that fat into muscle. Notice how obese people often have great physiques after adapting a serious work-out and dieting programme over a year or so? If you're slim to begin with you can't bulk up, so having fat is a necessary first step.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    MrSimmers wrote: »
    Temporarily. The key though is turning that fat into muscle. Notice how obese people often have great physiques after adapting a serious work-out and dieting programme over a year or so? If you're slim to begin with you can't bulk up, so having fat is a necessary first step.

Fat doesn't turn into muscle.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I ended my bulk a little chubster for sure.
  • wrathofpascal
    wrathofpascal Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    My belly is expanding but I feel better for the added weight
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    It wasn't planned but I guess I was bulking up and then cutting 3 years ago when I went from 170 to 198 to 158 and am again doing an unplanned bulk/cut going from 158 to 196 and currently 182 (goal 175) now. LOL!!!
  • dpr73
    dpr73 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    So my results will always result in me looking out of shape at the end of the bulk...? Even if I go super slow
  • SideSteel
    Options
    So my results will always result in me looking out of shape at the end of the bulk...? Even if I go super slow

Not necessarily.
  • dpr73
    dpr73 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

Not necessarily.
    Is there a way to maximize my results so I don't look out of shape? I want to get bigger and gain strength but I am doing this for my health so I would rather not add excessive fat
  • SideSteel
    Options

Not necessarily.
    Is there a way to maximize my results so I don't look out of shape? I want to get bigger and gain strength but I am doing this for my health so I would rather not add excessive fat

Think of it this way:

Faster rate of gain = greater chance of maximal rate of muscle gain, greater overall fat gain.

Slower rate of gain = less overall muscle gain per unit time, less overall fat gain.

If you are concerned with fat gain just gain slower. 2lbs/month or so, and re-evaluate in ~12 weeks.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options

Not necessarily.
    I definitely understand. In that case, the best way would be to bulk at a fairly slow pace, as in around 1-2 lbs a month.