Push up help needed

I've got the form right I can get parrellel to the ground but when I do my tummy touches it's starting to discourage me I'm not sure if It counts as a "proper" push up

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,080 Member
    Why wouldn't it? As long as your stomach is not touching because your letting your core loose and dropping it, then you are good.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    A few days ago I was actually just reading on what constitutes proper pushups, whether it is the chest/stomach touching the floor or just the arms being parallel. The definition varies between the military and the American Council on Exercise.
    If I were you, I would count it as a proper one.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Not saying this is gospel, but when I was in the Military. A vertical fist height from the deck counted as a pushup. My fist vertical is about 4". Something to think about and work toward.
  • bladebiker
    bladebiker Posts: 133 Member
    As above a vertical fist is what I did in the military too, if you are training alone use something to put under your chest, maybe a water bottle on its side, or if you can get one you can buy a mini bosu type blow up half ball, they're about 6 inches across that's what I use, it's far enough to feel strain and is an excellent gauge for a half fist, also legs up if you are struggling on a chair or a fit ball and gradually work forward over time until the tips of your toes are the only thing taking the weight at the rear, that will really help you with the traditional type or press-up, now, get down and gimme 50